Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-10-2016, 01:16 PM   #1
Josieb1
Wizard
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo H20, Kobo GLO HD, iPad Mini 4, Galaxy Tab S2 8
Samsung Tab S2 8.0 - Perfect

I've posted the same post in the Audiobook forum so apologies if that's not allowed I just wanted to share my opinion.

I've got hundreds of audiobooks, both fan fiction and audible. I have four Audible accounts and struggled with the limitations of my Kindle Fire HDX. I have an iPad mini that I like but I lusted after the Samsung Tab S2. I recently sold my last Fire and bought one. I just wanted to say it's awesome.

I downloaded all my audiobooks (nearly 200) from my four Auduble accounts and sudeloaded them on the Samsung. I added a 128GB SD card for future proofing. I logged into each account using the app and now it doesn't matter what audible account the app is logged into they all Play.

I then loaded another couple of hundred fan fic audiobooks on the SDCard and loaded Listen Audio Player and Material Player and use those two apps to listen to them.

Everything works seemlessly. The tablet is great for everything else as well. I have kindle, kobo and moon reader pro loaded (that's for TTF), I use Avia for music and video playlists. I have Amazon music and Instant Video loaded. I can honestly say there is nothing on a Fire that I miss.

Last edited by Josieb1; 03-10-2016 at 02:30 PM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:36 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
The Samsung is also great for shopping apps, news apps and visiting this place.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 03-10-2016, 02:29 PM   #3
Josieb1
Wizard
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
The Samsung is also great for shopping apps, news apps and visiting this place.
I think of my iPad mini as the workhorse and my Samsung as a pretty flighty little thing. I love the widgets which help control Audible and the other players easily.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:40 PM   #4
jackie_w
Wizard
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, PB360, Kobo Glo/AuraHD/Aura6"/AuraH2O/GloHD
I have the older Samsung TabPro 8.4" model. I must say I find 8" quite a nice Goldilocks-size device for reading (not too big, not too small). I can read my epubs as single-page Portrait mode with medium-size page margins similar to a hardback book or, for variety, double-page Landscape when it's like having 2x5" readers side-by-side. Even my art/craft PDFs look OK, but thats quite a small percentage of my total library.

Add to that, access to Calibre Companion and text-to-speech for all books - what's not to like, other than the not-so-great battery life on my particular model. I have to confess to having had a moment of panic when I heard Amazon had bought Ivona TTS as I thought (wrongly, so far, fingers crossed) that Amazon would remove it from the sticky grasp of the non-faithful.

I can't be bothered with any of these not-really-Android devices like the Fire models. I want to know that any app which happens to take my fancy is going to run without me having to jump through hoops.

Last edited by jackie_w; 03-10-2016 at 07:41 PM. Reason: typo
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:10 PM   #5
Josieb1
Wizard

I find it refreshing not to have to worry about updates and sideloadinga apps like I did with my Fire, but it's the complete freedom of the audible app and sideloading that has wowed me.

I find it hard to understand why Amazon would limit their own devices so much. They own Audible after all so they know how many username accounts exist that can't be used with a Fire. They have the data they just ignore it. I'd never buy a Fire again.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:31 PM   #6
jackie_w
Wizard
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm too mean to buy audiobooks when TTS is always available. I know it's not the same but TTS is good enough for me.

I don't read fanfic at all so I was quite surprised to read in your post that fanfic audiobooks exist. I'd assumed that only the big name authors released audio versions. Who does the reading? Is it the fanfic author themself or do you also get big name voice artists doing the reading?
Old 03-10-2016, 04:52 PM   #7
Josieb1
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I'm too mean to buy audiobooks when TTS is always available. I know it's not the same but TTS is good enough for me.

I don't read fanfic at all so I was quite surprised to read in your post that fanfic audiobooks exist. I'd assumed that only the big name authors released audio versions. Who does the reading? Is it the fanfic author themself or do you also get big name voice artists doing the reading?
Most of the time its just other readers, mainly woman in fact I've never heard one narrated by a man, and quite a few readers are very prolific. Audio fic is the place to go, you can search by fandom, show or pairing, reader or author. In my opinion Fayjay or Juice817 are the best readers.

http://www.audiofic.jinjurly.com
Old 03-10-2016, 07:43 PM   #8
jackie_w
Wizard

Thanks. You learn something new every day
Old 03-14-2016, 12:45 PM   #9
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Glo HD, Aura HD, Mini, Fire HD 6 & 8
I saw one of those in Walmart last week. It was beautiful! Also it was $399, I think. I am quite happy with my Fire HD 8 (which cost me $99). It really is quite nice. I can't afford anything more expensive.

Last edited by booklover6; 03-14-2016 at 01:13 PM.
booklover6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:08 PM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I saw one of those in Walmart last week. It was beautiful! Also it was $3.99, I think. I am quite happy with my Fire HD 8 (which cost me $99). It really is quite nice. I can't afford anything more expensive.
Booklover,
I think you have a typo as I would have grabbed a dozen at the price you posted.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:13 PM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Booklover,
I think you have a typo as I would have grabbed a dozen at the price you posted.
ROFL yea me too. I will fix it. I wish I could afford the Samsung. I'm sure the screen is much better.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:44 PM   #12
Josieb1
Wizard

I know it was expensive. I paid £320 + £30 for 3 years warranty (including accidental damage) but it's worth every penny. I might be losing my job this year (and yes it would be very welcome) so I wanted to get it while I could afford it.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:13 PM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I def. would have gotten that over the Fire HD8, if I had been able to swing it. I really wanted an 8" tablet. Had to settle for the low-funds-person's choice LOL
Old 03-29-2016, 03:57 PM   #14
Bernice_Richards
Bernice_Richards began at the beginning.

Device: LG
My Tab S2 8.0 takes photos like it doesn't have image stabilization. If you hold the tablet by one hand most photos are blurred. I should hold the tablet by two hand and be very-very steady to take a photo. Is that only me or someone else has the sam...
Bernice_Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 04:19 PM   #15
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

My tab 4 looks blurry when you take the picture but the picture itself is clear.