Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-03-2011, 10:19 PM   #31
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I turn 40 this year and I think a tablet is going to be my birthday gift (Hubby loves me and will get me what I ask for short of the Audi or Aston Martin I have been coveting while watching Top Gear). I will hold off if I know Amazon is releasing something or I hear of a nice 10 inch tablet.
Ask hubby for both: Aston Martin+new tablet ...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:21 PM   #32
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post
Size isn't as important as what you can do with it.

Wait... what were we talking about again?
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2011, 10:21 PM   #33
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I am trying that. I sense a series of Matchbox Cars and a tablet in September.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:50 AM   #34
grumpy3b
Banned
grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 2 (x2), Kindle 1, a couple old PDAs
Quote:
I like my DXG and I won't be using a tablet for reading magazines.
Interesting, do you read magazines on your DX? I tried one a couple times and found the DX really lacking as a large screen reader. I for one, need a large screen full color reading device if I am finally going to be able to move completely to ebooks to replace my reference books AND any magazines I stopped getting just to cut down the paper bloat at home. I can squirrel away a few years worth of magazines to read any time or search through wherever I am. Heck it would let me see actual counterspace in the bathroom for the first time since, well, ever!! An old buddy of mine used to laugh at me because I kept Byte Magazine in there instead of Playboy. hahaha, what can I say, I have had my geek-on for a long time now!
grumpy3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:58 AM   #35
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nope. I don't read magazines. I like the larger screen for reading books but I always preferred hardback to paperback because I prefer the larger reading space. So the DXG is perfect for me.

I would like something I can surf the net on and watch videos on when I am traveling that is less cumbersome then my netbook. And it would be nice to have something I can use more easily in bed or when I am away from my computer.
Advert
Old 05-04-2011, 08:31 AM   #36
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
I'll believe it when I see it released. That image is the same stock Photoshopped image we saw with the other Amazon tablet story. And I'm still not convinced that producing their own tablet gives them anything they don't have by letting other people produce tablets to run their software on. If it's just a locked-down color e-reader, it won't have anything distinct against the Nook. If it's a full-fledged tablet, it won't have anything distinct against all the other tablets out there.

Where's the advantage for Amazon?
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:35 AM   #37
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
10" is really not enough, particularly in the cheap 16x9 ratio which everyone other than Apple seems to be using.
Really? Who uses that except Notion Ink? Xoom for example is not 16/9.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:42 AM   #38
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Another source, adding to the rumor.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20110502PD216.html

L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:23 AM   #39
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

People will like the mention of a price decrease in that article.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #40
RoxyJ
Junior Book Zombie
RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone, ipad
Here is my imagining of my dream color Kindle
I would love it to be the same size as the eink Kindle 3 (so I can reuse all of my cases), keep the two buttons on either side (so I can continue to read one-handed), Allow apps from other bookstore (i.e., Kobo, nook) and Oh yeah, and cost $199. (We can dream right?)

Last edited by RoxyJ; 05-04-2011 at 03:48 PM.
RoxyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:39 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
Welcome to yet another article with the the same Photoshopped image.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:45 PM   #42
RoxyJ
Junior Book Zombie
RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone, ipad
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
I'll believe it when I see it released. That image is the same stock Photoshopped image we saw with the other Amazon tablet story. And I'm still not convinced that producing their own tablet gives them anything they don't have by letting other people produce tablets to run their software on. If it's just a locked-down color e-reader, it won't have anything distinct against the Nook. If it's a full-fledged tablet, it won't have anything distinct against all the other tablets out there.

Where's the advantage for Amazon?
I'm sure that Barnes and Noble is making some profit from the sale of the nook color, not to mention how successful the nook color has been in establishing Barnes and Noble as a distinctive brand. I'm sure that the nook color has directed customers (who would prefer a color ereader) away from Amazon, and essentially "locked" them to Barnes and Noble. This may be just a way to maintain their current success, and try and keep customers who are migrating to other forms of ereaders, with the advantage of gaining a profit off of the hardware itself.
RoxyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:51 PM   #43
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyJ View Post
Here is my imagining of my dream color Kindle
I would love it to be the same size as the eink Kindle 3 (so I can reuse all of my cases), keep the two buttons on either side (so I can continue to read one-handed), and Oh yeah, and cost $199. (We can dream right?)

Since your imagining does not have a keyboard, why not just have the buttons equal size and on one side only? To read one handed, just rotate the page to match.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:04 PM   #44
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Rotating to get to the buttons annoys people. I know this from all the complaints that the buttons for the DX are biased against lefties. Nevermind that you can rotate the DX and move the buttons to the left.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:34 PM   #45
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Rotating to get to the buttons annoys people. I know this from all the complaints that the buttons for the DX are biased against lefties. Nevermind that you can rotate the DX and move the buttons to the left.
The DX is biased because of the keyboard, button size, and button placement,

The Pocketbook 360 only has buttons on one side, but it is not biased against right or left,
portrait or landscape. Even the 5 way controller is equally convenient in all these orientations.

Even the 6" screen Kindles, with buttons on both sides, is biased against lefties with its 5 way controller.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, engadget, tablet