Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-29-2011, 08:41 AM   #1
hebrides
hebrides began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Annotations - synchronising and continuing on PC

Hi, I've never been on this forum before, but I must say that Calibre has proven invaluable to me as a Kindle owner.

I was annotating a book yesterday, and because I'd have a lot of annotating to do and because the Kindle is quite slow/freezes temporarily after annotating sometimes, I thought I'd continue on my computer.

I had converted the book in question myself, but didn't have the PDF any more. I don't think Calibre reader allows annotating, so I used Kindle for PC.

I know the book won't 'sync' with Kindle for PC, as it is not a Kindle Store purchase, but even so, I found where I was and continued annotating. Annotating on Kindle for PC is really nice by the way - better than Adobe Reader.

However, I encountered a problem this morning. I can't copy text from the book when it's open in Kindle for PC.

Does anyone have a workaround or better solution?
I know I can just open Calibre reader (or the file on Kindle device) and match up what I've highlighted, and use myclippings.txt, but that's a bit long-winded.
hebrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:00 AM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by hebrides View Post
However, I encountered a problem this morning. I can't copy text from the book when it's open in Kindle for PC.

Does anyone have a workaround or better solution?
You might have better luck asking in the Kindle forum as more people reading that one will be using the K4PC software. I personally try to stay away from it.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 04-29-2011, 09:27 PM   #3
hebrides

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
You might have better luck asking in the Kindle forum as more people reading that one will be using the K4PC software. I personally try to stay away from it.
I will stay away as well (unless it's a Kindle store book, in which case I can sync to device and use myclippings.txt).

It was just that I had annotated half a small book and didn't want to waste time. As it happens, I didn't annotate much and the book was short, so I just went over the highlighted areas and copied them from Calibre reader.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:38 PM   #4
penguinaka
Quack! Quack!
penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.

Device: kindle 3 & sony daily prs950sc
I have several...

1. try ctrl-a then ctrl-c in case its just the right click function copy your losing.
2. Use microsoft one notes screen clip function the text recognition and then spit it out as a file and convert as needed.
3. Get adobe acrobat pro if its a pdf... gives you a lot more editing capability. And blows the adobe reader out of the water which is a stripped down acrobat pro and has twice the functionality as kindle for pc for pdf's.

Also pdf is a horrible format to use on the kindle... I would convert them to .mobi or .prc you will like it much better.

I would try anything other than using that kindle for pc software which blows.

Cheers
penguinaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:21 PM   #5
hebrides

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinaka View Post
I have several...

1. try ctrl-a then ctrl-c in case its just the right click function copy your losing.
2. Use microsoft one notes screen clip function the text recognition and then spit it out as a file and convert as needed.
3. Get adobe acrobat pro if its a pdf... gives you a lot more editing capability. And blows the adobe reader out of the water which is a stripped down acrobat pro and has twice the functionality as kindle for pc for pdf's.

Also pdf is a horrible format to use on the kindle... I would convert them to .mobi or .prc you will like it much better.

I would try anything other than using that kindle for pc software which blows.

Cheers
I have up and found the highlighted sections and extracted them a different way...

Absolutely agree and this is more or less what I do/use - I have Acrobat installed for something else and it's very useful for eBooks. It's way too expensive for an ordinary consumer though (older versions are probably cheaper).

However, I didn't have a PDF version of the file in question and MOBI to PDF produces ugly results.

For annotating and highlighting, Kindle for PC is better than Acrobat. There's no need to right-click and select 'highlight text', the dialog box just appears. Over the course of a two hundred pages, that's a lot of time/clicks saved.

It's a question of DRM in Kindle for PC, not of pressing the right buttons - I can open the file in another program and copy text just fine. KforPC does not allow it though.

I don't think OneNote will work (I don't like OneNote so it'll be installed on first use, which I don't intend to do) - the similar Snag-It didn't work. Again, it's DRM.

I agree about PDFs on Kindle too, although it's okay for PowerPoint slides (2 per page) now and then, especially if the margins are cropped.

Last edited by hebrides; 05-01-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:58 AM   #6
Snowman
Connoisseur
Snowman doesn't litterSnowman doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 5, Kindle K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hebrides View Post
I was annotating a book yesterday, and because I'd have a lot of annotating to do and because the Kindle is quite slow/freezes temporarily after annotating sometimes, I thought I'd continue on my computer.
I found that the kindle freeze during annotate/bookmark appears to be due to re-indexing. Turned it off, and had no issues for the past 2 months.

Snowman
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote