Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-30-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
ac-t660
ac-t660 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-350, Nook Wifi
Standby message

Hello. I recently picked up a PRS-350 and am still getting it set up to my liking. One thing it doesn't appear to have, but I think would be very nice is to be able to change the standby screen message (currently tells you it is sleeping and how to turn it back on). I would like if I could put my name and address there so if I were to lose it and an honest person came across it I might get it back. I searched the forum and didn't see any way to do this, but has anyone figured a way? Maybe a hack or firmware mod? I haven't read through the whole PRS+ thread, but didn't see it by searching.

Some workarounds I've thought of or read elsewhere:
1) edit my photos and add my info on each. Kind of a tedious option, but it would accomplish the desired result.
2) create a dummy book that has my contact info. I read somewhere that someone had done that, but I can't find that post again. Anyway, with that method I'd have to exit my current book and load the dummy book each time or just put it in the library and hope someone actually found and opened it.

Any other ideas? Thanks!
ac-t660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
Just use your name and adress as screensaver (picture). You can upload pictures to the images folder and select the screensaver you like best or even have multiple screensavers, kind of a slideshow.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:03 PM   #3
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, T2; KPW2; iPad Mini Retina; Nooks
I think many people have resorted to Option #1. If you have a cover for your 350, then another option is to put an address label on it. I have read posts on MR by airline workers who that state their policy is they aren't allowed to turn on an ereader if you accidentally leave it on a plane. Your contact info has to be visible on the outside.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:23 PM   #4
ac-t660
ac-t660 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-350, Nook Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I think many people have resorted to Option #1. If you have a cover for your 350, then another option is to put an address label on it. I have read posts on MR by airline workers who that state their policy is they aren't allowed to turn on an ereader if you accidentally leave it on a plane. Your contact info has to be visible on the outside.
Thanks, Bookworm_girl. Duh, it always seems the low-tech obvious solution escapes me. I've got a cover on order so I'll have to stick an address label in it. Even if someone didn't have a cover they could stick a label on the back.

Very interesting about the airline policy. Although in sleep mode the picture would be visible without them turning it on.
ac-t660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:10 AM   #5
merrygoblin
merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Sony PRS-650, HTC Desire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac-t660 View Post
Very interesting about the airline policy. Although in sleep mode the picture would be visible without them turning it on.
I can't find the thread that said it, but I dimly recall the thread here on MobileRead that discussed it said they're not even allowed to open the case, etc. - the owners information has to be visible on the outside.
merrygoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:06 PM   #6
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrygoblin View Post
I can't find the thread that said it, but I dimly recall the thread here on MobileRead that discussed it said they're not even allowed to open the case, etc. - the owners information has to be visible on the outside.
I found the below post that mentions something like that.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...57#post1139457
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote