Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-01-2016, 06:35 AM   #1
s.z.ichigo
s.z.ichigo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Update files for 3.1, 3.2, 3.3

This is my last attempt to get this working before I pack this up and send it back.
I just bought a used Kindle Keyboard. It came to me with somebody's account still in it, so I (stupidly) reset to factory specs, not thinking that I might need any firmware updates it had received already (don't know if it had or not).
It is at version 3.0.2. From exhaustive reading on the internet I have learned that I cannot register this with my Amazon account until I have at least version 3.1.
However, Amazon's support site, where you would download these updates to install manually, apparently does not have functional update files. 3.1, 3.2, and 3.3 are all <1KB files that do not do anything. The 3.4 update is normal size, but I can't go from 3.0.2 to 3.4 apparently.
And there is NO place in the known universe that hosts these files other than Amazon. Everything I have seen is either a shady looking site that tries to get you to download junk software, or places that just link right to the Amazon-hosted files.
After a lengthy chat with customer service they refuse to acknowledge that there might be a problem with their files, and advised me to return it for a refund.
I do not want to return it, as I am 90% sure all I need is a firmware update. And I got this thing at a good price that I am not likely to find again on something with no damage to it.
So, my long-winded question is...does ANYONE out there have a functional Kindle 3.1 B006 (US, 3G + Wifi) update file??
If I can't fix this soon I have no choice but to send it back. I am really wanting to get it to work as it is a gift for my husband who lost his last year. Anyone who can help me will make him (and me, who has stayed up all damn night trying to get this working) very happy.

EDIT: Problem solved by using Kubrick to restore the entire system, followed by Amazon's sole functional update to 3.4.2. Registered successfully at long last. Thank you =)

Last edited by s.z.ichigo; 01-01-2016 at 01:56 PM.
s.z.ichigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:58 AM   #2
barryem
Guru
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2
Have you tried registering it with Amazon as it is? I'd be pretty surprised if you couldn't. But then I haven't used a Kindle Keyboard for a few years.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 01-01-2016, 09:10 AM   #3
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You're the first person to say Amazon's update files don't work.

Note that they are incremental updates (Amazon first started shipping full firmware images ~5.3.x IIRC) so it is natural for them to be quite small.
Have you tried them? (Or did you assume such small files won't work and just give up?)

Perhaps the download was corrupted or blocked. If you open the file in a text editor, does it perhaps look like HTML?
You can use KindleTool to check the validity of a firmware update: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=187880
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:31 AM   #4
IFixKindles
Enthusiast
IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The links to download the update 3.1 and 3.3 files for the Kindle Keyboard are broken at Amazons update download page. Clicking either link comes up with an error page. I've reported the broken links to Kindle Support, so hopefully they do get the page fixed. The page still says if you have 3.0 you need to do the 3.1 and 3.3 updates before you can do the 3.4 update which is still available.

Luckily for me, I have all of these saved on my computer. But that doesn't help anyone trying to update a Kindle Keyboard beyond 3.0 so it will register.
IFixKindles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:39 AM   #5
IFixKindles
Enthusiast
IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can also use the KUBRICK software to reflash the Kindle Keyboard to version 3.4. I used the route where I downloaded it and burned it to a bootable DVD so it even runs on my Mac when I choose the DVD as the startup disk. It is pretty straightforward in operation, but as the page says, it does take 2 to 3 hours to do a Kindle Keyboard.

See the following post.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=206064

Last edited by IFixKindles; 01-01-2016 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:55 AM   #6
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I just checked the links and yes they're broken but no they shouldn't be getting downloaded...

Unless you used right-click ==> Save As.
Which is a bit silly since downloadable content will usually be downloaded (based on mimetype) but Saving a page is simply confusing when you do that to arbitrary links with no idea what is on the other end.
Old 01-01-2016, 01:54 PM   #7
s.z.ichigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Well, I just checked the links and yes they're broken but no they shouldn't be getting downloaded...

Unless you used right-click ==> Save As.
Which is a bit silly since downloadable content will usually be downloaded (based on mimetype) but Saving a page is simply confusing when you do that to arbitrary links with no idea what is on the other end.
I did rightclick>save as, but that produced 1kb files that did not work.

I did end up fixing my problem using Kubrick to restore the entire system. I'm surprised that all of my searching did not produce that as a solution until I was very deep into my search. I did eventually find it, though thank you to the person above who suggested it. I am not an advanced user when it comes to programming and the like, but I found the process to be surprisingly easy. A million kudos to the guy who made Kubrick!

Once I used Kubrick (and took a nap to make up for the entire night I stayed up with this thing) to bring me to version 3.4, I was able to use Amazon's update file to get to 3.4.2, from which I was FINALLY able to register.

Absolutely no thanks to amazon's customer service who, while polite and English-speaking, refused to acknowledge that there was anything wrong with their updates, forcing me to go through this process. I am happy I do not have to return what I knew was a perfectly good Kindle.

Thank you muchly =)
Old 01-01-2016, 02:10 PM   #8
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist

Yes, Kubrick is quite awesome, thanks be to Ixtab.

Though hopefully Amazon will fix their server error.
Rather surprised actually Amazon is supposed to be rather good at reliably serving things.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:09 PM   #9
IFixKindles
Enthusiast

I just got word and verified for myself that the broken links to the 3.1 and 3.3 updates have been fixed on the Amazon site. So my report of the issue to Kindle Support must have worked. Not such good luck with my request to fix the Manage Your Content and Devices page which for the past week or so has not been showing all of my registered Kindles.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:08 AM   #10
s.z.ichigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFixKindles View Post
I just got word and verified for myself that the broken links to the 3.1 and 3.3 updates have been fixed on the Amazon site. So my report of the issue to Kindle Support must have worked.
Awesome! Hopefully it will help people in the future. =)