Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
PRS-950 and large files...?

I have more or less settled on purchasing a 950 in a month's time, but I thought I'd first ask how well it handles large files? The reason I ask is that my 505 will reboot if I try to load a book that is too large (say close to 1MB and up), which is partly why I am looking to buy a new reader in the first place.

I have a number of rather large PDF files that I'd like to read too and those are of course an absolute no-go on the 505, so I'd like to make sure that the device I purchase next will handle files of (more or less) any size.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Not sure what your problem is with large files but I've no problems with pdf, lrf or epubs of over 20MB on my PRS-505 except for the occasional corrupt file or pdf made of jpgs... and equally all work happily on my x50s. I suspect that it's not the reader but the files that need looking at to get them working...
elcreative is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 04-23-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
You may of course be right, but the thing is that the problem is 100% consistent - large files always cause a reboot after the 505 has worked away at opening them for a while. If it was the occasional large file, then I'd think the same as you, but it's every single one I've tried. Also, files that are borderline in terms of size may open after one or two tries (and reboots).

Other than that everything works perfectly well, but I need a reader which will handle what mine doesn't, regardless of what causes the problems, so it's good to hear that the x50s have no problems with this.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:39 AM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage; iPad Mini Retina; Sonys; Nooks
My 950 works fine with EPUB files in the 40-50 MB range. It is much speedier overall than my 505 was.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote