Notices

Old 04-18-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
CCarrot
2 lzy 2 update this...
CCarrot began at the beginning.

Device: jetbook
Can't get {size} data in a User Column?

Hello,

I was messing around trying to figure out how to display the filesizes in a more usable metric than MB (you know how *many* books I have that are '0.6 MB'?) and so I was trying to set up a user defined column to display size in kB.

I made the column okay, but when I put {size} in the template, it populates the column with emptiness...aching emptiness. If I change the template column definition to {tags} for instance, it populates properly...so what's up with not being able to pull the 'size'? I'm probably just missing something...

Alternately, could someone let me know if there's an easier way to display the file sizes in kilobytes?

Thanks,
cc
CCarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:48 AM   #2
chaley
"chaley", not "charley"
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many android devices
Size was added as a template field, then removed because it badly broke device metadata caching. As a result, there is currently no way to get at size in a template.

I have submitted changes to add a new formatter function to get the value of 'size'. Assuming acceptance, in the next release you will be able to use one of the following:
Code:
program:booksize()
{:'booksize()'}
If you want kbytes, use
Code:
program:divide(booksize(), 1000)
{:'divide(booksize(), 1000)'}
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:10 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC Flyer; BBMini; Sony PRS650; Onyx Boox T68
Lazy people! 1000Kb isn't 1Mb...

It looks like I missed something in the custom column definition... program???
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:15 AM   #4
chaley
"chaley", not "charley"
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Lazy people! 1000Kb isn't 1Mb...
I leave it to you to explain why it should be 1024 instead of 1000.
Quote:
It looks like I missed something in the custom column definition... program???
That is the prefix for general program mode templates. See "Using general program mode" in the documentation for details.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:11 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC Flyer; BBMini; Sony PRS650; Onyx Boox T68
See, I did blink and missed something...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:22 AM   #6
CCarrot
2 lzy 2 update this...

Cool, thanks!

Just thought I should bring it up, since the behaviour wasn't consistent with the other fields from the user's POV. It's not a big deal, it's just a 'nice to know' kinda thing...

Quick question, though: chaley, you said this was to be a possible new function, so would it have to re-calculate booksize for every book each time the booklist is adjusted? (Question carry-over from comments on a previous thread re: showing number of pages / word counts). Or is this just adding a function to pull the booksize from a stored metadata field, either in the book or the file data itself? For all I know, they could take roughly the same time to do either, so the question might be entirely moot...just curious.

Thanks for the quick reply!
cc
Old 04-19-2011, 01:08 PM   #7
chaley
"chaley", not "charley"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCarrot View Post
Quick question, though: chaley, you said this was to be a possible new function, so would it have to re-calculate booksize for every book each time the booklist is adjusted? (Question carry-over from comments on a previous thread re: showing number of pages / word counts). Or is this just adding a function to pull the booksize from a stored metadata field, either in the book or the file data itself?
The booksize function grabs the information from the calibre database field. No recomputation is needed.

The changes have been officially merged into calibre, and will be available at the next release.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:58 PM   #8
CCarrot
2 lzy 2 update this...

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
The changes have been officially merged into calibre, and will be available at the next release.
Dude! That was fast! I look forward to playing with it come next release.

Thanks so much!
cc
Old 06-24-2012, 04:27 AM   #9
theaccountant
theaccountant began at the beginning.

Device: Awful Hanvon N518
I have looked at template , booksize and format_sizes and cannot see how i can change this. Can someone please explain so that i can see my column size in Kb to do duplicate checking faster rather than opening 150 separate windows in windows explorer for each duplicate.

Many thanks

R
theaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:34 AM   #10
chaley
"chaley", not "charley"

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaccountant View Post
I have looked at template , booksize and format_sizes and cannot see how i can change this. Can someone please explain so that i can see my column size in Kb to do duplicate checking faster rather than opening 150 separate windows in windows explorer for each duplicate.
See http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...12#post2108012 and/or http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=151563
Old 06-24-2012, 06:27 AM   #11
theaccountant
theaccountant began at the beginning.

Device: Awful Hanvon N518
Thanks Chaley for you very fast and prompt answer.
theaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:56 AM   #12
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G, iPad 3, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaccountant View Post
Can someone please explain so that i can see my column size in Kb to do duplicate checking faster rather than opening 150 separate windows in windows explorer for each duplicate.
Why not use the Find Duplicates plugin? It is *way* faster and more reliable than manually comparing size values?
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:15 PM   #13
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Nexus S, Galaxy S, Nook Color, iPhone4, iPT4, iPad 2012
Question, is the value booksize() returns in bytes or kilobytes? Nvm, found the answer from a link above. Bytes.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:47 PM   #14
chaley
"chaley", not "charley"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Question, is the value booksize() returns in bytes or kilobytes? Nvm, found the answer from a link above. Bytes.
NB: it returns the size of the largest format, not the total size of all the formats.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:36 AM   #15
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Nexus S, Galaxy S, Nook Color, iPhone4, iPT4, iPad 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
NB: it returns the size of the largest format, not the total size of all the formats.
Gotcha. Thanks! Doesn't really matter for me since the library I need it for only has one format - epub. Curious, what does the size column in calibre report? Size of largest or the total size?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote