Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
burlap
burlap began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Calibre startup is suddenly v-e-r-y s-l-o-w

I started to write this up as "Calibre won't start", but after being patient, I realized that it will start, but takes a long time. I've been using Calibre for many months with no problems on my Windows 7 machine. Starting this morning, it takes several minutes to load. I just timed it, and it took about 3 minutes. Here is the debug info for caliber-debug -g. It sat at the Windows: ('7' line for about 3 minutes, then started quickly from there.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2>calibre-debug -g
calibre 1.8 isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
32bit process running on 64bit windows
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.5
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')

... This is where it waits for about 3 minutes. .....

Starting up...
Started up in 1.15 seconds with 108 books
Job: 1 Get device information started
DeviceJob: 1 Get device information done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 1 Get device information callback returned
Job: 2 Get list of books on device started
DEBUG: 0.0 USBMS: Fetching list of books from device. Device= KINDLE2 oncard=
None
DEBUG: 0.0 USBMS: dirs are: G:\ documents
DEBUG: 0.1 USBMS: scan from root False G:\documents
DEBUG: 0.3 USBMS: count found in cache: 24, count of files in metadata: 24, n
eed_sync: False

I've uninstalled it, rebooted, and reinstalled it. I've moved backwards to 1.8. I've renamed the meta-data.db file. That resulted in no books in the library, but still a slow startup. I also tried it with and without my Kindle attached. That made no difference. I've also tried disabling my AVG antivirus. That also made no difference. I also tried killing the process from task manager. That also took a long time.

It also take a very long time (several minutes) to open a book. Everything else is responsive, and other applications are running just as fast as they always did.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
burlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
burlap

OK, I seem to have hit on the problem. I ejected my DVD-R from my DVD drive, and Calibre started instantly. Books now open instantly also. This is a disk I use on a daily basis to back up my Quicken data. I replace it occasionally, or when it become full. I've since put in a new disk, formatted it, and done a backup. Calibre is working fine. So, something wrong with the DVD-R (which appears to be working OK) caused the Calibre problem start-up problem.

I saw a previous thread for a similar problem. He disabled network access, which would have removed access to some drives. I don't know what the connection is, but it looks like Calibre has a problem with some types of drive access.

Enthusiast
Old 11-13-2013, 05:58 AM   #3
booklover81
booklover81 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I'm having this same problem! I've tried everything you have and even disabled the network, and there is nothing in my drive. calibre is still EXTREMELY slow to load. Does anyone have any advice to offer? This just started on the newest update.
booklover81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #4
burlap

You mentioned that you tried everything that I did. Did you try killing the process from task manager? did it take a long time to kill it? That would typically indicate that it had made a system call and couldn't die until Windows finished with the call. I think that is why mine wouldn't end until Windows had finished accessing the DVD drive.

Did you uninstall, and reinstall an older version? Did the older version (that presumably used to work) now fail also?

How about some more details about your computer, operating system, things you've tried, the results of them, and a a debug log of a command line invocation. That might shed a clue.