Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 04-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #1
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
bluetooth connection and FW 2.0.6

I seem to recall that someone said that the bluetooth works better with the new version, but I cannot find the message - and I have a lot of trouble connecting, so I think it must be me. I'd like to connect to my laptop, running windows 7: can anyone suggest the correct procedure?

As a second question, how do I remove an existing connection, just deleting it from the configuration files?
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:11 AM   #2
J.C.
Addict
J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: PB602, Palm TX
Do you mean pairing the two ? an object push ? or something else ?

As to the second question, I don't recall a way to delete connections but you can overwrite/delete the fields you filled in to create it.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:24 AM   #3
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
Do you mean pairing the two ? an object push ? or something else ?

As to the second question, I don't recall a way to delete connections but you can overwrite/delete the fields you filled in to create it.
I'd like to connect the laptop and the reader so as to be able to transfer files without the USB connection: it did work once with previous FW version (I think 2.0.4), but I have never been able to reproduce (I realy ahd no idea what I was doing). Any help greatly appreciated!
Old 04-12-2011, 09:35 AM   #4
J.C.
Addict
J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Well, my efforts were more in the area of network sharing but as I see it you have two options:

1) turn on the bluetooth on the device, search for the device from the PC and hopefully once its detected you'll be able to use the object push or object exchange service to transfer a file to the device (possibly using drag and drop to the device).

2) pretty much the same only you're to try pairing the device with the PC first.

Hope this helps.

If/when they make the effort and add an option to edit the connection (PPP) script I'll do a tutorial on how to access the internet using bluetooth.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:49 PM   #5
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
Well, my efforts were more in the area of network sharing but as I see it you have two options:

1) turn on the bluetooth on the device, search for the device from the PC and hopefully once its detected you'll be able to use the object push or object exchange service to transfer a file to the device (possibly using drag and drop to the device).

2) pretty much the same only you're to try pairing the device with the PC first.

Hope this helps.

If/when they make the effort and add an option to edit the connection (PPP) script I'll do a tutorial on how to access the internet using bluetooth.
yep, thanks J.C., but I tried both - the laptop finds the reader, but the reader says it cannot connect. It must be "operator error" , but I do not know where I am going wrong. Anyhow, no rush, there is the USB cable, and look forward to the PPP editing feature and your tutorial!
Old 04-15-2011, 09:00 AM   #6
spaceman
spaceman began at the beginning.

Device: PB 903
I see, there's another one who tried to establish a Bluetooth connection to a PB. Tried this with a PB903 (FW 2.0.5) both under Vista and Linux (only for file exchange). I cannot figure out this Bluetooth-PIN. Under Vista I've never been asked to enter one and hence on the PB I don't know which one to enter.
Vista finds the PB as "Pocket903" but I never managed to transfer a file. The PB itself finds my computer, but gives me only some ppp-error upon connection testing.
Under Linux I entered a PIN in /etc/bluetooth/pin but also no success.

Is there a step-by-step guide how to establish and test a BT connection (preferrably under Linux for better monitoring: hcitool, hci-dump etc.)? The manual is useless for this purpose.

Thanks!
spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:13 AM   #7
J.C.
Addict

The pin is for the pairing process, the PC and PB shouldn't have a preset one, you just type the same one on both when prompted.

The BT connection in setting isn't for file-transfer its for Internet access and wouldn't have a chance of working as is unless the other device is a Bluetooth access point or a mobile with a data plan and even then I'm not sure if it works since i couldn't test it but observed its designed right now for those two options.

File transfer is basically detecting the object-push/transfer is available on the device from the PC and sending a file to it (might need to pair the two first).
Old 04-16-2011, 11:15 AM   #8
J.C.
Addict

So object push, had some time today, here's how it worked for me:

1) Turned on the device, went to configuration, turned on bluetooth (to visible but wasn't needed since my PC had cached information)

2) On the PC opened my bluetooth places, saw my device on the list (if it wasn't I would've scanned for nearby devices)

3) On the PC chose to connect to the device (try to open, double click, or choose from the right click menu).

4) On the device filled in a pin in the dialogue that popped.

5) On the PC entered the same pin I chose in 4, in the dialogue that now popped up.

6) On the PC saw the list of available services for the device (short list only object push).

7) On the PC right clicked on the object push service of the device and from the menu chose to send an object.

8) On the PC browsed to where I prepared an epub book and selected it (had to change the view first to show all files).

9) On the device popped up a small file-transfer window (only took a few seconds for an epub so faster then I imagined but still a 0.5MB epub isn't a 7MB pdf).

10) On the device in the root of the internal memory I now had my epub, not that convenient for me since I keep my files organized on the SD card, but the file opened and seems fine.

Notes: even though the devices were paired before I was asked for a pin exchange, probably because of the recent update to the 2.0.6 firmware. Second time around it wasn't needed.

1) Configuration -> Connectivity -> Bluetooth access.
6) If you don't see the list you should still probably have a 'search for services' option that will let you find it.

Thoughts: might be convenient if you don't have the cable around, but not a big time saver or as flexible as using the cable ;
With a little bit of effort the Bluetooth FTP service could be realized, and give you the same flexibility afforded by the cable, to choose where you want the files placed.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:25 PM   #9
spaceman
spaceman began at the beginning.

Device: PB 903
I've finally managed it to transfer files from/to the PB! But I had to find out something, which is maybe obvious for others. The requested Bluetooth-PIN on the PB and the "main key" ("Hauptschlüssel" in german) in Windows Vista is one and the same! I always supposed, that this main key will be somehow used to encrypt the files (as the word "key" suggests) and expected the PIN request (which I usually attribute to some kind of authentication) to pop up later, what never happened... I should at least partially blame this to Microsoft. Virtually everybody calls a PIN a PIN, Bill calls it the "main key". Why? Nevermind.

A little, a tiny, a microscopic hint from the PB makers would have been very helpful anyway...

So far at least under Vista the file transfer works now. Do you, J.C. (or somebody else), know the place/file under Linux to store the PIN in order to make BT _definitely_ working? Is it "/etc/bluetooth/pin"? I read something about pin helpers 'n stuff like that but prefer to do everything "by hand" so far (no GNOME, no KDE, just good old fvwm).

Thanks for the step-by-step guide anyway!
spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:35 AM   #10
J.C.
Addict

It is a pin, its the same because in the pairing process you need to match them and its your selection, the only time the pin is predetermined is on devices where you might not be able to input it like BT earphones.

Tags
bluetooth