Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-09-2011, 09:20 PM   #16
Shimarenda
Addict
Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Tablet
I think I still read more nonfiction than fiction, but I used to read almost no fiction. My nonfiction reading is a mix of biblical and devotional works, history, music, and the occasional work read for cultural or informational reasons. I like to read to better my understanding of the world around me. It's only recently that I've begun to see, thanks for the likes of O'connor and Chesterton, that some fiction can be good for that purpose, too.

Last edited by Shimarenda; 04-11-2011 at 08:30 PM. Reason: first sentence said the opposite of what I meant
Shimarenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:44 AM   #17
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
Over a year, my reading will be roughly 2 : 1 in favour of fiction. The non-fiction reading will cover a variety of subjects - primarily historical but anything else that is "interesting" (subjective user-defined term!). Why? 'Cos it provides me with new information or new ways of looking at things. I don't see any contest between F & NF though, both provide reading pleasure, albeit in different ways
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2011, 10:11 AM   #18
Prash
Zealot
Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3W, LG OG-E970, Utopia Apad
I used to read mostly fiction few years ago, when I was in college and never even touched more than one non-fiction book a year unless it had something related to my classes.

Now a year has passed since I got my college degree, and now I find myself going from one non fiction book to another. I feel non-fiction gives the mind more things to contemplate and when you have several questions raging in your head, non fiction works better than fiction I guess. When I read fiction, I am usually taken to some alternate world and I forget myself. It is fun, but reading non fiction seems way more advantageous to me than fiction - atleast right now when I'd have to take steps which would be deciding my future. But I make sure that I pick up one or two select fiction books between the non fiction books, to keep the other part of mind alive and kicking.
Prash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:18 AM   #19
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash View Post
I used to read mostly fiction few years ago, when I was in college and never even touched more than one non-fiction book a year unless it had something related to my classes.

Now a year has passed since I got my college degree, and now I find myself going from one non fiction book to another. I feel non-fiction gives the mind more things to contemplate and when you have several questions raging in your head, non fiction works better than fiction I guess. When I read fiction, I am usually taken to some alternate world and I forget myself. It is fun, but reading non fiction seems way more advantageous to me than fiction - atleast right now when I'd have to take steps which would be deciding my future. But I make sure that I pick up one or two select fiction books between the non fiction books, to keep the other part of mind alive and kicking.
Congrats on graduating. Keep reading.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:52 AM   #20
garrybuck
Connoisseur
garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kindle
Most of what I read is Project Gutenberg stuff, so I read mostly fiction. But from time to time I get a kick out of reading an old non-fiction book, like the latest up-to-date information on aircraft design circa 1900. One of the things I'm learning from that is that our technology changes over time, but how we use it (i.e. human nature) doesn't change a bit.
garrybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2011, 06:41 PM   #21
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
For 35 years I was reading non-fiction 90% of the time. It was almost all work related.

When I retired, it flipped. Now, 90% of what I read is fiction.

I taught my kids that there can often be more truth in fiction than non-fiction.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:26 PM   #22
Baldrake
Connoisseur
Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Mozart
Quote:
Originally Posted by rePete View Post
The Bible is my top non-fiction read since I prefer to read it yearly. [There's bound to be difference of opinion on it's non-fiction/fiction status.]
Karma awarded for giving me a chuckle.
Baldrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:26 PM   #23
butterbescotch
Enthusiast
butterbescotch began at the beginning.

Device: none
Non-fiction, in general, are more informative than Fiction.
However, Fiction, in general, offers more entertainment than Non-Fiction.
butterbescotch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
non-fiction, reading matter