Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-20-2015, 07:08 AM   #1
antonellafi
antonellafi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard
Kindle Keyboard not working all of a sudden

Hello everyone,

I don't know what happened to my Kindle Keyboard. Yesterday I eas reading and it was ok, today the screen is blank, the green light doesn't turn on when I slide the button, and I tried to plug it in the computer usb and the light turns orange for ten seconds and then it turns off and this happens everytime I try to plug it in and it doesn't work at all that goes without saying...
what happened and what can I do?
thank you so much

Antonella
antonellafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:41 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Just on general principles, plug into a USB power wall socket, and then slide and hold the on button for 20 seconds.

But I hope that some more specific advice will be along shortly.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 02-20-2015, 07:44 AM   #3
antonellafi

thanks, tried that too but it doesn't work, same thing 10 seconds orange and then off again
Old 02-20-2015, 07:51 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This thread seems similar. And a couple of other web sites seem to report the same problem - if the Kindle battery discharges too far, it won't charge, because it's not got enough power for the charging circuitry, or something.

Several people have reported success by plugging/unplugging or turning on with the switch, to get the orange charging light, many times to get a little charge in each time, until it finally has enough to start charging normally.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:09 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6, MS Surface Pro, N7
First thing to do is to leave it plugged into a wall charger overnight, and see if that helps.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:11 AM   #6
antonellafi

thank you, similar but not the same I think, I tried to do the nail in the case to turn on the switch thing and the light doesn't turn on anyway
I will try the plug unplug but the battery was almost full yesterday so I don't think it is a power lack problem maybe a battery connection problem somewhere along the circuit?
Old 02-20-2015, 08:20 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6, MS Surface Pro, N7
It may simply be that your battery has died. Lithium batteries can just die pretty much instantly. If leaving it plugged in overnight doesn't work, I'd suggest getting a replacement battery. Replacing the battery on the Kindle Keyboard is straightforward. Unless of course you want to use it as a reason to get a different device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:37 AM   #8
antonellafi

Hi but even if the battery died why doesn't it work when plugged in with the USB if it was that? Thank you
Old 02-20-2015, 08:49 AM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

It depends on the charging circuitry. It's entirely possible that a dead battery would stop it working completely, even when plugged into USB power.

I don't know if that it the problem, but if a hard reset and long charge don't do the trick, it might be worth trying a new battery.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:53 PM   #10
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonellafi View Post
Hi but even if the battery died why doesn't it work when plugged in with the USB if it was that? Thank you
It's not designed to bypass the battery. The battery needs a minimum charge for the Kindle to work.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:40 PM   #11
antonellafi

update: I opened it and checked the battery and a strange thing happens: I took away the battery and when I put it back in if I try to slide the button it turns green for a few seconds and then it is dead again and i tried this a few times and it does the same thing every time
Old 02-20-2015, 06:45 PM   #12
Katie1
Non-Techy
Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Phone , K3 WiFi 3G
How did you check the battery? IF you can open it I buy another battery see what happens before giving up.
Katie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:24 PM   #13
antonellafi

that is what I plan to do! I opened the case it's really easy from the bottom. I want to try with a new battery I found a new compatible one for 20 euros, cheaper than a new kindle (if it works!) and this model is one I love so much there is no read aloud or physical keyboard on the new models!
Thank you all for your help, and if you have any more insights ideas on what could be wrong if it isn't the battery please continue to share