Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-12-2014, 07:47 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5 Paperwhite and a Simple touch Nook
Page numbers

Some of my ebooks from amazon have page numbers in them but most do not. Is it possible to add them to books I get from Amazon? How do I accomplish this?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:59 AM   #2
Little.Egret
Addict
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook LLite, Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle T
Calibre will generate the proper extra file but only with calculated, so pseudo, page numbers. If you want better you will need a copy of the paper book.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:28 PM   #3
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch (Wifi only)
Page numbers are stored as a file on the kindle called "[userstore]/documents/{book}.sdr/{book}.apnx" (where {book} is the filename minus the extension of the book itself).

calibre will by default generate and send these when sending a book from your library to the device -- but as Little.Egret warned, they are calculated through guesswork. You can increase the accuracy of the guess by using a custom column to hold the page count. (See the options in the device driver.)
eschwartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:49 PM   #4
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5 Paperwhite and a Simple touch Nook
Hmm, Calibre can get that done for me, sudo page numbers are fine. If I generate the page numbers in Calibre do I put both files on my kindle so that the Kindle can display the file numbers? I thought tthat the page numbers needed to be part of the book file. What commands do I execute in Calibre to do that?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:58 PM   #5
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Hmm, Calibre can get that done for me, sudo page numbers are fine. If I generate the page numbers in Calibre do I put both files on my kindle so that the Kindle can display the file numbers? I thought tthat the page numbers needed to be part of the book file. What commands do I execute in Calibre to do that?
Just send the book from calibre, and it should be taken care of automatically. (Unless the option has been disabled in the device driver, but it should default to on.)
eschwartz is online now   Reply With Quote