Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-20-2015, 03:12 AM   #1
kindleuser93
kindleuser93 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4.1.1
Collections without account

Hey, is there any method for creating collections without A account?
I'd be happy in some third-party plugin than can categorise and tag books also, if the first option is impossible.
I mean, on my reader as it doesn't matter how I tag on calibre when my Kindle can't see it. JB done

Last edited by kindleuser93; 02-20-2015 at 03:16 AM.
kindleuser93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 03:18 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6, MS Surface Pro, N7
Collections are Cloud-based, and hence can only be created when you're online and connected to Amazon's server. Because of this, you do need an account.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 02-20-2015, 03:25 AM   #3
kindleuser93

ah, that's bad news.
Is there any method to tag books without account?
Right now I'm cruising through books in alfabethical order, which in some cases might be very irritating
Old 02-20-2015, 03:52 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What I do personally is to use a Calibre plugboard to add series information to my books. What's the problem, as a matter of interest, with having an account?
Old 02-20-2015, 04:48 PM   #5
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
[GUI Plugin] Kindle Collections

Works in tandem with either Collections Manager kindlet, or librariansync.

Both are hacks that bypass the Kindle UI and thus ignore Amazon's restrictions, in order to directly modify the collections db. Very handy for doing bulk edits based on calibre metadata of course.

That also means the hacks don't enforce a registration check.

The Kindle can display when you aren't registered -- it doesn't delete collections when you deregister, only when you re-register. So once the hack injects collections into the db, the Kindle just goes with the flow.

eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:49 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
[GUI Plugin] Kindle Collections

Works in tandem with either Collections Manager kindlet, or librariansync.

Both are hacks that bypass the Kindle UI and thus ignore Amazon's restrictions, in order to directly modify the collections db. Very handy for doing bulk edits based on calibre metadata of course.
Are you sure that this works on devices with Cloud collections? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it didn't.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:21 AM   #7
kindleuser93

Thanks both of you guys
Calibre plugin works fine but I need to practice creating collections with it I guess

@eschwartz

I have NT Kindle and it seems that my device is not supported as it's only for PW and K5 (I have 4.1.1)
Old 02-21-2015, 10:01 PM   #8
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Are you sure that this works on devices with Cloud collections? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it didn't.
I believe there is an issue in that regard, which is circumvented by creating legacy non-CC collections. Might be a bit confusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindleuser93 View Post
Thanks both of you guys
Calibre plugin works fine but I need to practice creating collections with it I guess

@eschwartz

I have NT Kindle and it seems that my device is not supported as it's only for PW and K5 (I have 4.1.1)
I overlooked that.

That means you don't need to use any hacks at all:

LibrarianSync and CM will NOT work on non-touch devices. However,
The plugin will simply update the collections directly, though it will require a restart to load the new collections.

Either way, investigate the plugin page, it is the canonical source for information, and does list the devices that the plugin will work on.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote