Notices

Old 04-12-2011, 12:38 PM   #1
Kore
Enthusiast
Kore began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
PRS-600 vs PRS-350

Hello everyone.

I have been away from the forums and eReaders news for quite a while. For so long that I just realized that Sony released the new versions of hardware.

I currently own a PRS-600, it's about a year old and I've only read a handful of books on it.

Since I've seen the new PRS-350, I have been considering selling my current PRS-600 and getting a new one. However, I have an important question before I purchase one.

How is the font and contrast quality of the PRS-350 compared to the PRS-600? I have found that the PRS-600 gets excellent contrast only if positioned right and with the right type of light, whereas the Kindles that I've toyed with (demo ones at stores) seem to have perfect contrast no matter what. I'm a little jealous of the Kindle in that regard.

For a person like me that reads casually, I think a PRS-350 would be a good choice, compared to say the PRS-650. Because I don't really external storage.

And another question - I have purchased a few ebooks that have DRM protection. How do I go about deleting them from my current PRS-600 and giving them to my new device?
Kore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Assorted Nooks
I sold my PRS-600 and got the 350 instead.
I bought a 350 for my daughter for Chrsitmas and had them both for a couple of weeks and noticed that, contrary to what I would have thought, I could have more text on the 5" screen and still be able to read it (I had to use a larger font size on the 600).
Not only was the contrast much better, but there is also options to adjust screen/text saturation/contrast.
If you don't need the other things the 600 has (card slots, audio), the 350 is better to read at.
(Had I not seen them both I would have been perefectly happy with the 600, but once I had seen how good the 350 was there was no going back...)
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 04-12-2011, 12:55 PM   #3
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Assorted Nooks
Oh, I see you asked about your DRM books. Don't you have them stored on your computer as well? Just authorize the new device to your existing Adobe account and the books will work there as well.

Remebered another thing that made me go for the 350: The lighted case is so good! The small screen probably is part of the reason the light gets so well spread out over the page.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #4
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
Go for it is awesome! The screen is the same as Kindles screen. It is absolutely matte as the touch is made with infrared beams. The dpi is higher as with the 6ichers thus enableing you to read one size smaller font as with the 6" and have the same amount of words per page.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Don't agree with "absolutely matte", it does still reflect, but agree that x50 screens (as vell as 505/300) are vastly superior to 600.

You'll lose mp3 player and SD/MS card slots, however. And x50 models in non-exotic colors are hard to get, so if you decide to buy one, better hurry.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote