Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-28-2011, 11:29 AM   #1
rheostaticsfan
Zealot
rheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, iOS, Blackberry, Sony DPT (pdfs)
whispersync question

I am considering buying a kindle. I currently use kindle for PC and kindle app on my ipod touch.

I'm wondering if on the kindle device you can have whispersync set to sync when you turn on/off and yet have the communication services (3G, wifi) off otherwise. For battery preservation.

I'm happy to manually turn on networking in order to browse the kindle store or whatever, but I'd like it to be seamless for bookmark syncing. But, I don't want to radically impact my battery life by having networking always on.

Anyone know if this is possible? Set the kindle to turn on networking, sync bookmarks and then turn networking back off?
rheostaticsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:32 AM   #2
Cordanim
Kindle Newbie
Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G, Kindle 3 3G, iPad 2, BlackBerry Bold 9900
I would think yes, if you just turn networking on, then sync, and turn it back off, everything should be fine, but I'm still learning all the intricacies that are Kindle

Kev
Cordanim is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 03-28-2011, 11:36 AM   #3
rheostaticsfan
Zealot
rheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enough

I figured I could do that: turn networking on, sync, turn networking off. But that seems like a lot of work to do every time I pick up AND put down the kindle.

I was hoping the software could automatically do that for me.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
Cordanim
Kindle Newbie
Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G, Kindle 3 3G, iPad 2, BlackBerry Bold 9900
Don't think so
Cordanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:13 PM   #5
hellraiser06
Yaabbaa dabba doo
hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Touch wifi, Kindle 3 Wifi, Asus Transformer TF101
Naw man, switching networking off is the only option. Although, what you say is not half bad an idea. Turn networking off automatically as soon as I am done syncing/donloading/surfing/whatever.... hmmm..
hellraiser06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:52 PM   #6
rheostaticsfan
Zealot

Yeah, "like switch on networking then sync then switch off networking" on boot and "shutdown" would rock.

BTW, I dontt have a kindle yet so I don't know...is there a power button? Sleep button? Something like that?
Old 03-28-2011, 01:26 PM   #7
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Yes, both sleep mode and power off/on are there. Sleep is the norm. I highly advise downloading the User's Guide from the Amazon Kindle Support area, and reviewing it. It will explain much.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #8
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheostaticsfan View Post
I figured I could do that: turn networking on, sync, turn networking off. But that seems like a lot of work to do every time I pick up AND put down the kindle.

I was hoping the software could automatically do that for me.
It syncs automatically when you turn the network on, you would only need to sync manually if you left it on all the time.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote