Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-26-2011, 11:29 PM   #1
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Why jailbreak an iPod touch

I am not a big "jailbreaker", other than installing some hacks on my old Sony 505, and of course removing the slime mold of DRM from every ebook I have purchased. But today I got curious and " jailbroke" an old iPod Touch 2nd gen I had neglected in a drawer.

I used greenpois0n, and installed Cydia.

I must admit I am underwhelmed. What am I missing? The available apps and tweaks seem sophomoric and of trifling value.

Why did you jailbreak your iDevice, and what do you recommend I look for in Cydia?

Thanks for any responses or advice.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
You can do lots of stuff with them if you are tech minded and are interested in shortcuts to tedious tasks like enabling wifi/bluetooth:
You get a fairly detailed debian based dist.

I jailbreak to use the multitasking apps and sbsettings. I have used them even in my itouch 1G.
I assume you are on 4.2.x. In this case you have only the paid app multifl0w. But i use backgrounder along with the native switcher in my iphone.

Also my itouch's home button is shot. So i need sbsettings to close any apps.

It allows full access to the file system.Allows you to side load books on say the kindle etc., or even transfer them back.

The biggest pain in jailbreaking is there is no real way to backup most of the settings.
Am now trying out magicfingers that supposedly exposes the hidden gesture support(have yet to figure it out).

And then you get scores and scores of widgets and themes via winterboard.

For me the main thing is it allows me to under-use the fairiy fragile home button.
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2011, 12:55 PM   #3
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
I do agree, with android maturing, cydia and ios seems to look very mundane.
But i feel ios+cydia is far far more stable than any android i have handled.
In that I consider android to be lot of sugar and steroids while ios+cydia to be more proteins and less sugar.

My apologies if i hurt any sentiments of android lovers, but its the truth..
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:55 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Haven't tried jailbreaking any of my iDevices yet...but like you I do have some neglected devices (iPhones mostly) that I could try it on, I suppose.

Personally, the delays between official updates and the subsequent jailbreaks would just irritate me But I guess some incredible Cydia-only app might make me try it.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote