Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 03-29-2011, 06:35 AM   #1
glendak
glendak began at the beginning.

Device: none
Another Librarian embraces the ebook

Hi all,
I'm really interested in ebooks for the frail and elderly. The weight and font size choice seems perfect for the elderly who spend a lot of time reading.
I've just purchased a Kobo for my 91 year old mother, and whie waiting for delivery I'm hoping I've made the right choice.
Cheers All
glendak
glendak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:39 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to Mobileread ....

Pop into the Kobo Forum for the latest in tricks and tips ...

and good luck . My mother would probably "run a mile" - but then she rarely reads books ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 03-29-2011, 08:11 AM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5 Paperwhite
Yes, you have the Kobo is the most simple reader of them all. If she can't figure out the Kobo then nothing will help her at all. I do not own a Kobo but I have heard many times from kobo owners. Another thing to think about is a yearly tech support contract for her, instead of calling you in the middle of the night or while you are at work to figure out some feature get her a yearly tech support contract with someone like Geek Squad, for approximatly $130 a year your mother can call them 24x7x365 with any question about tech at all.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:25 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 5, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi glendak and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:47 PM   #5
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
welcome
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:52 AM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Glendak. I'm sure your mum will enjoy the new reading experience. I have many friends well into their eighties -- lifelong bibliophiles -- who love their ebook-dedicated readers and feel that they've come to the rescue of their favourite leisure pursuit.

Believe me, none of these folks are exactly high-tech-minded, but all took to their readers like ducks to water. Avoid the bells-and-whistles machines and your mother will be forever gratefful for your kind thought. Good luck to her and very best wishes to you both. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:04 AM   #7
glendak
glendak began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thankyou, everyone. The Kobo arrived and I think it will be perfect. The controls are very much like a TV remote, which Mum manages well.
glendak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:54 AM   #8
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by glendak View Post
Thankyou, everyone. The Kobo arrived and I think it will be perfect. The controls are very much like a TV remote, which Mum manages well.

GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote