Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-17-2011, 08:17 PM   #1
Barefoot2
Barefoot2 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
It looks like I am going to be on the market for a new reader

I am hoping some of you have experience in non-functioning readers and customer service/warranty replacement. I am wanting to know of those who had a good experience with getting replacement or repair. I understand that there are certain things you have to take into account, like shipping time, etc., but overall, who's ereader company was good to work with in warranty service?
Barefoot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:54 PM   #2
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IRiver Story HD, Google Nexus 7" tablet, Galaxy Nexus, Asus 1005HA
My first Kobo didn't work properly and it was replaced and I got a free cover. However, this was in Australia and you probably need to supply some info as to which country you are in - the distributors can vary a lot from country to country.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Seems like amazon to me. Both from what I've read and through personal experience, I'd say they're warranty honoring has been pretty good, if not excellent.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:01 AM   #4
GA Russell
Martell Mallett is back!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook Lite, Kindle 4
I was a fairly early customer of the jetBook Lite. After a month it stopped working.

Ectaco was good about replacing it free of charge with no questions, but I had to pay the nine dollars to ship it to New York.

The replacement has been flawless for fifteen months.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:29 AM   #5
Zarich
Zealot
Zarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Why are you in the market.. Does your nook not work?
Zarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:51 PM   #6
faithbw
Fanatic
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4S
My nook stopped working after a day. The e-ink screen just died. In terms of customer service, I am very happy that I got a nook. All I had to was go to Barnes & Noble. My e-reader was replaced with a brand new one right on the spot. No charge at all. It's been working well ever since.

Last edited by faithbw; 04-18-2011 at 01:54 PM.
faithbw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:54 PM   #7
Barefoot2

As to where I am, I am in the US. As to why I am looking, I had problems right out of the box (Christmas), but it finally culminated in complete shut down a week and a half ago. I have been having difficulty with the customer service (have been for some time, long story). In trying to find someone other than the standard customer service line, I ended up finding a long list of negative reviews on warranty service, repair or replacement with the nook. It seems that I am not alone. My husband feels terrible that the gift has been causing so much headache, and wants to just figure out who is best to deal with and replace the gift. He feels it is not worth the treatment we have gotten for the last 4 months to try to get them to honor the warranty.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:09 PM   #8
faithbw
Fanatic
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4S
Sorry you're having such trouble with customer service. I've never dealt with B&N's actual customer service line.
faithbw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:10 PM   #9
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Ouch!

I'm so sorry you had to go through that, Barefoot! Especially if it is your first ereader. Mine have been such a joy! I have had no trouble with either of my Sonys or with my eDGe so I can't offer any personal insights into customer service. My husband has a Kindle, but again, after a year and 3/4s, no trouble.

I wish you the best of luck, and hope you find a solid device you can simply enjoy!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:19 PM   #10
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
OP: Does the nook work at all? What happened?
I'm just thinking if it's at least booting up, the users here might be able to help you.

EDIT: oops sorry- missed your last post.

Last edited by bZkindle; 04-18-2011 at 07:32 PM.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:42 PM   #11
Zarich
Zealot
Zarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
It doesn't make sense to throw in the towel. Even though you are frustrated. I suggest you go into a B&N store. Be very nice. Explain that you have not been able to get your device to work and the customer service line is not working for you to get your device running again. Ask for help. Be very nice about it. I think you will get somewhere.
Zarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:08 PM   #12
Barefoot2

Well, we purchased it using our Discover card which carries an additional warranty (it doubles the man. warr.). We thought to contact them about it, to see if that could kick in. After hearing the timeline of problems, and the lack of resolution from the manufacturer, they were going to take it to B&N. I called to alert them that Discover card would be pursuing it, and all of a sudden, they want to help me. So, if this works out, I'll be back in business with my unit. yeaaa!!
Old 04-21-2011, 06:59 AM   #13
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
This is good news! Hope it will sort out fast and you will join our little comunity of eLovers
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:50 AM   #14
Barefoot2

I have it in hand, and it is working. Woo-hoo! As an added and unexpected bonus, the manager who took care of getting it replaced for me told me to keep the extra battery that didn't fix the problem, and added a $10 ebook gift card. That was very nice, more that I had any hopes for.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:06 AM   #15
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
I am very glad to hear this! Know that you have a working reader you will love the reading experience more than ever before. It is like falling in love.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote