Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 03-22-2011, 01:34 AM   #1
judahis
Enthusiast
judahis is on a distinguished road

PDFs on JETBOOK LITE?

I have a lot of Word documents I want to read on my JETBOOK LITE (JBL) and wonder if batch converting to PDF would be a smart move or not, and, if so, does anyone know of a program to do this? I have been told it would be better to do EPUB, and also I have tried to find an affordable program for batch conversion of Word documents to rtf to no avail, as of yet. Any advice?
judahis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:13 AM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, AuraHD, PDA, Eee Transformer
I guess that the Word Documents are not structured as an ebook. Is it that you want
to compile these documents into a book or are they to remain as separate multi-page
documents?

Are there formatting or display issues for these documents?
How large are they?
How many pages?

What use do you wish for the documents, when they are on your JBL?
Would the Search function be useful/needed?

How do you intend to reference them?
Do you need to find specific parts of the documents?
Or do you need to be able to find a particular document among many?
Is it more like, all documents that cover a particular topic?

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 03-22-2011, 04:48 AM   #3
judahis
Enthusiast

I am not aware that the JBL has much of a search system. The documents are small, 1 page mostly, news articles and poems. I have them arranged in many folder by topics so search function not necessary. Just want to be able to read them. No images.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:23 AM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by judahis View Post
I am not aware that the JBL has much of a search system. The documents are small, 1 page mostly, news articles and poems. I have them arranged in many folder by topics so search function not necessary. Just want to be able to read them. No images.
Well then, any supported format will do, even straight .txt. The only issue
might be with the formatting for poems, for that you could use .pdf with
the page dimensions set to match the JBL. Wordpad can read .doc files
and defaults to .rtf, which the JBL can read.

You might look into a PDF printer emulator, there may be one that well "spool"
the conversions as print jobs. I have used doPDF 7, to make .pdf files for the
JBL, but you have to set the "custom" page size each time you use it, but it
might be a good way to keep the poems formatted as you want them.

Luck;
Ken
Old 03-22-2011, 03:10 PM   #5
MR. Pockets
Addict
MR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Aluratek Libre Pro, Sharper Image Literati
You may want to try zamzar.com. I have a used it a few times and have been very pleased so far been very pleased.
MR. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:49 PM   #6
GA Russell
Stamps last undefeated!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook Lite, Kindle 4
Thanks Mr. Pockets. That's an interesting site. I'll try it sometime.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:13 PM   #7
judahis
Enthusiast

Thanks to all. I still am stymied as to the Batch conversion aspect of the problem.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:26 AM   #8
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Well there is the print spooler approach. I can describe some things you can do with
Windows XP.

You can make your own "Print to File" printer in XP.
You can add your own paper size/form to the Print Server Properties.
You can change the "Spool folder".

To make a .txt file "printer" in XP you go: Start>Settings>Printers and Faxes and use
"Add Printer" to start a wizard.

Have "Local printer attached to this computer" selected on the first page and none of
the other options on that page. Then "Next".

Have "Use the following port: FILE: (Print to File)" selected. Then "Next".

Find and select: "Manufacturer" "Generic" and "Printers" "Generic/ Text Only".
Then "Next".

Name your printer. (I named mine Text File.)

----------------------

To make your paper size/form:

Again in the "Printers and Faxes" window under the "File" tab select "Server Properties"

Check the "Create a new form" box, making the "Form description (measurements)"
area active. With the "English" units selected, set the Width: to 3 inches and the
Height: to 4 inches. Name your form. (I named mine "3x4 jetBook 5-inch".) Then "Ok".

--------------------

These guys spell out setting up your printing spool folder:

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/...-pools/5137794

Luck;
Ken

Tags
jbl pdf word rtf batch