Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-04-2011, 10:57 AM   #1
lightandclouds
lightandclouds began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600, Nook Color, Kindle 3
Need help syncing a book

I've been trying to get a sideloaded book to sync and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I would really appreciate some help.

I'm using Calibre 7.47 with the 3.7 plugin tools. My iPhone is a 3g and it is updated. My k4pc is updated. I'm using mobi2mobi.

Although I thought that adding a book in Calibre 7.47 would automatically set up the book for syncing, it hasn't happened that way for me. I still need to use mobi2mobi to edit the mobi file.

So, I edit the mobi file by changing line 501 to ebok. Also change the ASIN line. Then, I use the same file and sideload my Kindle 3, iPhone, and k4pc.

However, it isn't working. I have no doubt that this is an error on my part, but I can't figure out what the error is after hours of attempts. I always make sure that I have checked the proper box to ensure a convert.

The book in question is "The Corrections" by Jonathan Franzen. I have the original epub, which I de-drmed and converted to mobi by using Calibre. Here are the metadata for the book:

Hardcover ASIN: B0000C7BMR

Paperback ISBN-10: 0312421273

Paperback ISBN-13: 978-0312421274

Page Numbers Source ISBN: 0312421273

Kindle ASIN: B0022VV0RC

For the ASIN line, I have tried B0022VV0RC and 0312421273. To ensure accuracy, I have copied and pasted directly from Amazon.

If anyone has this book and could test this for me, that would be great! Any suggestions appreciated too.
lightandclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:48 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 2
Quote:
Although I thought that adding a book in Calibre 7.47 would automatically set up the book for syncing, it hasn't happened that way for me. I still need to use mobi2mobi to edit the mobi file.
No, just adding the books to Calibre is not enough. Do a mobi to mobi conversion... if the correct header records aren't already present, Calibre will add them. You shouldn't have to mess with mobi2mobi if you don't want to.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
lightandclouds

Thanks, DiapDealer!

That fixed my K3 and my k4pc.

Unfortunately, my iPhone is still refusing to sync. In fact, when I load the book file on my iPhone (the same file used on the K3 and k4pc), the sync option is grayed out.

Strangely, the sync option is grayed out even on books that I purchased from Amazon and that are in my Amazon account. Maybe this is an iPhone issue?
Old 03-04-2011, 02:58 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 2
Quote:
Strangely, the sync option is grayed out even on books that I purchased from Amazon and that are in my Amazon account. Maybe this is an iPhone issue?
Make sure you haven't disabled the "Annotation backup" feature of Kindle for iPhone.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=12
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
lightandclouds

Annotation Backup is enabled but sync is still not working. I'll post if I find a solution. All help is appreciated.

Loving the k4pc/kindle3 sync though.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:37 PM   #6
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3, iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightandclouds View Post
Annotation Backup is enabled but sync is still not working. I'll post if I find a solution. All help is appreciated.

Same thing with me. I did get this to work the other day, not sure what the issue is. Annotations turned on both on Kindle and iPhone, no synch.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:06 PM   #7
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightandclouds View Post

How are you loading your books onto your iPhone ?

I know that the books need to be in the ebook folder of the kindle iphone app, if the are in the document folder they are still readable but the sync option is grayed out. I load the books to my iPhone using iPhone explorer..
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:03 PM   #8
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
How are you loading your books onto your iPhone ?

I know that the books need to be in the ebook folder of the kindle iphone app, if the are in the document folder they are still readable but the sync option is grayed out. I load the books to my iPhone using iPhone explorer..
Ron - I have used iPhone Folders (similar to iPhone Explorer) to load books into Kindle App/Library/ebook folder.

My sync option is not grayed out. I have turned on Annotation Backup and still no synch.

I have read on iPhone, when I go back to home I can see it saves furthest page read. Go to Kindle, turn on wireless - go into book - NOTHING. Does not ask if I would like to go to furthest page read. Weird.

In both cases, when I am done reading, I return to HOME. On the Kindle, before exiting I turn on wireless to allow it to sync to furthest page, but nothing. I am missing one tiny thing and just can't figure this out.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:10 PM   #9
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
Unlike amazon purchased ebook's it will not ask if you want to sync to furthest read location as soon as you open the book. You have to manually click the "sync to furthest read" link from the menu.
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:42 AM   #10
lightandclouds

Chilady, seems like we have the same problem.

Ron, I load the iPhone Kindle app using DiskAid. I've also loaded using iTunes. I put the book in the Kindle folder. I didn't have an "ebook" folder, so I created one and tried that too. Still no luck.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:02 AM   #11
chilady1
I devour books!

I am using iPhone Folder and I have the following as my path:

KindleApp/Library/ebooks (this is where I put the books). Here's an update: the book I am currently reading for whatever reason is not synching. However, when I went to the next book in the series and tried it out, this works. So I will continue to play with this. Very strange.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:16 AM   #12
lightandclouds

Still no luck.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:56 PM   #13
chilady1
I devour books!

Happy to report, I finally have this working. I think it might have been the book I was using to test it out with. The next book in the series is working perfectly. I have been going back and forth between Kindle and iPhone and everytime, both synch the way they should. Thanks to everyone for all their help on this, I can't express how happy I am that this works.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:36 PM   #14
lightandclouds

That's great! I'll keep trying and report back.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:29 AM   #15
lightandclouds

I've now tried another book and find that it will sync with Kindle and k4pc, but still no sync with my iphone.

For the first book I tried, I've discovered that if I use mobi2mobi and change the ISBN (for paperbook) and ASIN (for kindle) it will sync with kindle 3 and k4pc, but not iphone. It still doesn't work if I just convert mobi to mobi with Calibre.

For the second book, the mobi to mobi convert worked with no mobi2mobi assist - but still no iphone.

I tested on my iphone and my husband's (who has a completely different set and os version). I downloaded a book from Amazon to my iphone to make sure I had the right directory. I placed my ebook in the same directory as the Amazon downloaded book.

I checked to ensure that Update Annotations is enabled on all devices.

Does any one have a clue about what I'm missing?

All help is really appreciated!