Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-13-2011, 11:27 PM   #1
h1uke
Zealot
h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: dxg, k3w,k4nt,kpw
Duokan Lite?

Described below is a simple technique of trying Duokan software on your Kindle.
Those who want to take a look at it, but also want adding anything to the protected
area of Kindle root filesystem might be especially interested.
The only prerequisite is launchpad (which requires jailbreak in order to be installed).

Select needed files from Duokan installation archive and copy them over to the Kindle:

- download Duokan archive following the link above and unpack it somewhere on your PC.
Only DK_Documents, DK_Pictures and DK_System folders are of interest.

- create a temporary folder (dklite) somewhere on your PC and copy the following to it:
  • DK_Documents -- empty folder
  • DK_Pictures -- empty folder
  • DK_System/lib -- recursively, including all subfolders and files
  • DK_System/system -- recursively, including all subfolders and files
  • DK_System/Savers -- recursively, including all subfolders and files
  • DK_System/bin -- only three files: DKPrivateProfile, doc2html, ebook

- in DK_System/DK_Update locate subfolder (dx dxg k2 k3) corresponding to your Kindle model
and copy
  • DK_System/DK_Update/<your-model>/DK_System/Savers - recursively
  • DK_System/DK_Update/<your-model>/DK_System/system - recursively
  • DK_System/DK_Update/<your-model>/DK_System/config.ini
over to the temporary folder (dklite)

- make sure the dklite folder now contains the following:

Code:
./DK_Documents:

./DK_Pictures:

./DK_System:
Savers
bin
config.ini
lib
system

./DK_System/Savers:
shui.jpg

./DK_System/bin:
DKPrivateProfile
doc2html
ebook

./DK_System/lib:
libasound.so
libbdwk.so
libchardetect.so
libcurl.so.4
libcv.so.1
libcvaux.so.1
libcvhaartraining.a
libcxcore.so.1
libdjvulibre.so.21
libdk_epub.so
libdkchm.so
libdkdjvu.so
libdkdoc.so
libdkdocument.so
libdoc2html.so
libefence.a
libfreeimage.so.3
libfreetype.so.6
libhighgui.so.1
libhtml.so
libhttp.so
libiconv.so.2
libiw.so.29
libjbig2dec.so.0
libjpeg.so
libjson.so.0
libktv.a
liblibdkzip.so
libmad.so.0
libml.so.1
libmobi.so
libopds.so
libopenjpeg.so.2
libpcre.so.0
libpcreposix.so.0
libpng12.so
libpy.a
libtiff.so.3
libtts.a
libxlds.so
libxml2.so.2
libzip.so.1
sysfont

./DK_System/lib/sysfont:
fzlth.ttf
input.ttf

./DK_System/system:
Aliases
MenuConfig
Profiles
dict
font
key
loadingpicture
pinyin
pymb.ini
skin
tts
websiteinfobak.dat
word.tar

./DK_System/system/MenuConfig:
PdfTopMenu.ini
PdfTopMenu_ft.ini
PdfTopMenu_yw.ini
PdfTxtTop.ini
PdfTxtTop_ft.ini
PdfTxtTop_yw.ini
PicTopMenu.ini
PicTopMenu_ft.ini
PicTopMenu_yw.ini
TopMenuManHua.ini
TopMenuShuangLan.ini
TopMenuSide.ini
TxtSheZhiTopMenu.ini
TxtSheZhiTopMenu_ft.ini
TxtSheZhiTopMenu_yw.ini

./DK_System/system/Profiles:
FontInfo.dat
FontInfo_ft.dat
FontInfo_yw.dat
HelpDocument.txt
systemConfig.ini
systemConfig_ft.ini
systemConfig_yw.ini
viewright.pdf

./DK_System/system/dict:

./DK_System/system/font:

./DK_System/system/key:
keymap.k

./DK_System/system/loadingpicture:
batshortshutdown.gif
kaiji.gif
kaijibg.gif
kaijirate.gif
uninstall.gif
usbconnect.gif

./DK_System/system/pinyin:
AutoEng.dat
FCITX_DICT_TEMP
cj.txt
config
db.txt
erbi.txt
fcitx-dict.log
fcitx.log
gbkpy.org
gbks2t.tab
punc.mb
pyPhrase.org
pySym.mb
pybase.mb
pyindex.dat
pyphrase.mb
pyusrphrase.mb
qxm.txt
sp.dat
tables.conf
vk.conf
wanfeng.txt
wbpy.txt
wbx.mb
wbx.txt
zrm.mb
zrm.txt

./DK_System/system/skin:
MenuItem.dat
MenuItem_ft.dat
MenuItem_yw.dat
ebookk3.img

./DK_System/system/tts:
BCNPackage.dat
BENPackage.dat
GCNPackage.dat
GENPackage.dat
YCNPackage.dat
YENPackage.dat
- transfer the contents of dklite folder to the root user folder on Kindle.

- copy the attached(in archive) startdk.sh file to the Kindle under DK_System/ in user root

- copy the attached(in archive) duokan.ini file to the Kindle under launchpad/ in user root

- reinitialize launchpad shortcut database by pressing Shift Shift I on Kindle keyboard

At this point you are done. Press Shift D S to start Duokan.
Press Shift D X to exit Duokan and restart the native framework.

When installed this way, in order to remove Duokan from your Kindle
just recursively remove all DK_* folders from the user root.
If you don't plan to install it again, you can also remove the launcpad/duokan.ini file
from the user root, and re-read the shortcut base by pressing Shift Shift I on your Kindle.
Attached Files
File Type: zip dklite.zip (486 Bytes, 2551 views)

Last edited by h1uke; 03-14-2011 at 06:53 AM.
h1uke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:18 AM   #2
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Good job! I've always wanted to try out Duokan, but I never bothered to install it, just because I have no need for it. I think I'm going to try this later on, since it doesn't require a full on install.

Last edited by kranu; 03-14-2011 at 12:28 AM.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2011, 06:17 AM   #3
blknit
blknit began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
wrong comment removed...

Thank you

Last edited by blknit; 03-14-2011 at 10:13 AM. Reason: wrong comment
blknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #4
FethryDuck
Addict
FethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle3, DXG
Nice exercise, I suppose. But it is not lighter. In fact, it will not install everything as it should be. Some files are erased after the install - this does not happen here, I believe. As the path for those routines as well as other sanity checks, are no longer valid.
FethryDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:05 AM   #5
FethryDuck
Addict
FethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle3, DXG
- xtra comment: if you did a normal Duokan install and checked free space, then you would probably notice it.

Some proposition: this may have been covered somewhere else, I don't know - but some nice app could simply be a "file-mover": Usually - you have to plug in the USB-storage and move a file. To be able to launch a "file-mover" without having to do that would be great !
FethryDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2011, 08:44 PM   #6
twotools
twotools began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Any updates on this hack? The last time I installed Duokan I eventually took it off because I hated having to dual boot between the two - Duokan for reading pdfs and the Kindle firmware for reading azw/active content.

Does this hack 'install' Duokan, or does it just run Duokan on top of Kindle framework without having to install it? I'm a little confused by the comment about "In fact, it will not install everything as it should be. " Guess I'm not too much of a power user...
twotools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:58 PM   #7
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
I installed it and tried it out. One still must reboot between the two OS's, AFAIK.

I also observed some (undefined) strange behavior in KindleOS after playing around, having to do with the Kindle being mounted read-only on my linux system (via USB, of course). This could have been operator error, for sure.

What I decided, for now, was that duokan was not for me. The improvement in PDF reading was there, but not good enough to convince me that reading a PDF on the Kindle, even with duokan, was worth the trouble (for the most part -- there was a PDF textbook that was much easier to read on duokan than KindleOS).

My solution, hopefully temporary, is to avoid PDF format where possible. When unavoidable, first try reading it under Kindle, then duokan (lite) as a last resort.

All the above is just my $0.02, and YMMV, and so on.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:04 PM   #8
twotools
twotools began at the beginning.

St_albert, that is excellent information. I was hoping that there wouldn't be a need to reboot. Guess I still won't be using Duokan, then. If someone manages to extract the pdf reading part of Duokan to launch through launchpad that would be fantastically awesome though. Maybe the Russian forums will figure it out.*

edit: *the duokan lite solution was first posted on a russian forum
twotools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:22 AM   #9
luistfe
luistfe began at the beginning.

Pass from kindle to doukan-lite= 5 sec.
Pass from doukan-lite to kindle= 1 min. (There is not a standard restart)
luistfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:08 AM   #10
h1uke
Zealot
h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: dxg, k3w,k4nt,kpw
Quote:
Originally Posted by luistfe View Post
Pass from kindle to doukan-lite= 5 sec.
Pass from doukan-lite to kindle= 1 min. (There is not a standard restart)
Let me explain. In fact, Duokan is not an alternative OS for kindle,
it is just a plain closed source program carefully made from widely known
opensource components. In its "lite" form Duokan just gets launched on top of Kindle framework.
But (and this is hardcoded) when started, it kills the standard Kindle framework first.
Obviously, the standard Kindle framework should be restarted when Duokan exits.
Technically this is not a reboot, but still takes a long time.
h1uke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:40 AM   #11
luistfe
luistfe began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1uke View Post
opensource components. In its "lite" form Duokan just gets launched on top of Kindle framework.
But (and this is hardcoded) when started, it kills the standard Kindle framework first.
Obviously, the standard Kindle framework should be restarted when Duokan exits.
Technically this is not a reboot, but still takes a long time.
My comment ===> Easy and fast exchange of the two FIRM
luistfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:22 PM   #12
bob_tm
Enthusiast
bob_tm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by h1uke View Post
opensource components.
This is a good point and the consequences have become quite clear the past months. It is not possible to contribute, the developers have little or no knowledge of requirements outside of China and Google Translate creates more amusing than informative release notes. It is great that they create this package - kudos to them - it seems to be of interest and use to many. I'm not gonna send the GPL license through Google translate and wave it in their faces.

What is clear to me, however, is that we should have an open source option for Kindle where people can contribute (ideas, code, knowledge). What options are there for this? Maybe there are no candidates for a complete replacement - just modules? Maybe putting more effort into FBreader is a good idea?

bob_tm
bob_tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:15 AM   #13
luyt
luyt began at the beginning.

Great job!
For my kindle DX, Pass from kindle to doukan-lite= 5 sec. Pass from doukan-lite to kindle= 15 sec. Surely acceptable!
luyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:25 PM   #14
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Very nice! Since I only use Duokan for pdfs, like the Oxford Book of American Verse, this is fantastic! No more waiting minutes to get to Duokan.

It did do weird things to my font in Kindle. Well, hardly weird. My Georgia2 font reverted back to default Kindle font, and it is now larger! I have to use the smallest font size setting.

One the other hand, the Georgia2 font works in Duokan.

Edit: I reinstalled the font hack and everything is good.

Question: Is it Doukan Lite or this most recent version of Duokan that no longer allows one to chose the folder for documents. In the past, one could select a setting that allows one to use the Kindle document folder, or to stay with the Duokan document folder. I no longer find this option. Which sucks, because I use Kindle for everything but pdf, so I'd like to put those in DK_Documents and have just those on the menu.

This should be named Duokan Fast. Very cool to switch over so quickly. I said that before...

Edit: It is the latest versions of Duokan that don't allow one to chose document folder. However, I solved my problem by putting my pdfs in the DKDownload folder, which appears at the top of the booklist in Duokan Home. I'm really enjoying how quickly I can get into Duokan now. And all of the features I like for pdfs work great.

Last edited by montalex; 04-23-2011 at 12:54 PM. Reason: new info
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:59 PM   #15
tmdrix
tmdrix began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Dxg
I not succed in duokan lite. When I trick SHIFT SHIFT I, always show '<SHIFT I>' failure.
Any one pls help me.
tmdrix is offline   Reply With Quote