Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-09-2011, 09:52 PM   #1
Nexutix
with TBR of 500+ !!!
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G
Smile Ever tried MIDI? I was shocked!

Most of us (actually, all of us) listen to songs in mp3/wma/flv/ietc. formats. But I came over to this format called MIDI. It has so small size that 5 minute song is only ~50 kb! And when played it has no vocals but amazingly magical beat.

I also found a way to find midi collections using google trick:

Quote:
-inurl: (htm|html|php) intitle:”index of” +”last modified” +”parent directory” +description +size +(mid) “music”
Ever tried out? What if e-readers are able to play them? (Android tablets can play, but Kindle and others? It would be great to carry beats around, because they just give you temp while reading, and there are no vocals to disturb you!)
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:03 AM   #2
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
Even better, we could embed them on web pages! That way when you load a page you immediately get that snazzy beat and synth tone playing to give whatever you're reading the right affect.

natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 03-10-2011, 12:10 AM   #3
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
OH gawd NO! That is so web 1995! I hate it when some loud music starts while the page loads.

MIDI is really useful for learning choral music, though. You can give each voice part to a different instrument, and sing along to your part while being able to distinguish the others.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:42 AM   #4
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Note 10.1, Archos 70, Samsung Galaxy SII
Midi is for 1990's mobile phones and that's about it. Terrible noise! Really.
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:16 AM   #5
Nexutix
with TBR of 500+ !!!
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captkjaneway View Post
Midi is for 1990's mobile phones and that's about it. Terrible noise! Really.
Have you played any MIDI recently on WMP in Windows 7? It's way better than a noise!
Old 03-10-2011, 02:26 AM   #6
Cyberman tM
Addict
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ImcoV6l; Elonex EB600 Cool-Er; Kobo Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by patilsaurabhr View Post
Have you played any MIDI recently on WMP in Windows 7? It's way better than a noise!
That depends, I guess.
Midi can be played through a synthiziser (default I think), or through something that uses real samples.
Depending on what the composer intended as playback device, either one might sound better.

If you think MIDI is great, look up MOD files. Archaic as they are, they combine elements of midi with actual samples.

Re: websites - sure, go ahead and play the song. I won't hear it because sound is turned off. But if your website takes too long to load because of it, or if I enable sound and your music annoys me (because I want to listen to something else or whatever), I'll be gone.
If you think it's worth offending part of your viewers...
(Of course, there's nothing wrong with offering OPTIONAL music - let the viewer decide if he wants to listen to your recommended music.)

[edit] I recently listened to Midi in Vista. Unless I missed it, there is no way to switch from synthisizer to sampled music. Which kinda makes having samples on-board in your sound-card rather pointless...
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:07 PM   #7
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
OH gawd NO! That is so web 1995! I hate it when some loud music starts while the page loads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberman tM View Post
Re: websites - sure, go ahead and play the song. I won't hear it because sound is turned off. But if your website takes too long to load because of it, or if I enable sound and your music annoys me (because I want to listen to something else or whatever), I'll be gone.
If you think it's worth offending part of your viewers...
(Of course, there's nothing wrong with offering OPTIONAL music - let the viewer decide if he wants to listen to your recommended music.)
You're saying you don't want to go back to the days of a synth MIDI track blaring through your unsuspecting speakers before the webpage full of flashing gif animations fully loads? Why ever not?

But just think of the possibilities for enhancing browsing here on MR! We could put MIDI tracks in our signatures, even!
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:21 PM   #8
Nexutix
with TBR of 500+ !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by natasha_fawn View Post
You're saying you don't want to go back to the days of a synth MIDI track blaring through your unsuspecting speakers before the webpage full of flashing gif animations fully loads? Why ever not?

But just think of the possibilities for enhancing browsing here on MR! We could put MIDI tracks in our signatures, even!
No! It will cause a lot of noise... mixture of all music will autostart from all users in thread.

But to do so, admin should enable HTML in signature and force users not to use autostart. But people may do horrible things with signatures when HTML is enabled!

Last edited by Nexutix; 03-10-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:22 PM   #9
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook mini
midi is kind of a digital score-sheet, not recorded audio, so the quality depends on the sound hardware you use for playing the tunes.
just because of that I still keep my SBLive in my desktop- it allows me to have a so called soundfont file installed in the soundcards memory.
I did a websearch for the biggest i could fit in and load it,
then just start some classic adventure like Loom trough ScummVM and wath other peoples' jaws drop when they hear that sound
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
midi, music