Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-03-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
ArmadilloPilot
ArmadilloPilot began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Reading PDF eBooks on a Sony

Yesterday, I checked out from the library a book that happened to be a PDF. I opened the book in my reader and one page said that the pdf was optimized for 1024 x 768. Obviously, they created this PDF for viewing on a computer.

Nevertheless, I continued reading and noticed that words that were end of line hyphenated in the original text were now sitting in the middle of a line - but the hyphens were still there. If I put the zoom setting to fonts = 's', then the hyphenated words appeared appropriately placed. However, the text is really too small to read.

So after all that, my question is: what do you do about this? Is it just that PDF books are inconvenient on a Sony and are to be avoided in favor of ePubs whenever possible? Is there any way for a user to "re-optimize" the PDF for reading on 6" Reader screen?
ArmadilloPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
mazmac
mazmac began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
The best way I have found to read inconveniently-formatted pdfs is to
(1) set the text size to 's' so that it shows the intended page layout
(2) change the screen orientation to landscape so that the width of the page lies along the full height of the reader. Side-swiping will move you to the bottom of the page and then to the top of the next page.

I hope that helps!
mazmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 03-04-2011, 08:48 AM   #3
adityadubey
Addict
adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.

Device: Sony Reader PRS - 650, Kobo Aura HD, Nexus 7
I definitely think PDFs are to be avoided in favour of epubs wherever possible. One trick which works on some files is to view it on S and use the margin cut option for the page layout.
adityadubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1, T3T2 . Finally the Dark Side, aK-Paperwhite
Recently d/loaded a PDF ebook into my 650 via Calibre and it looks fine.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:21 AM   #5
Solitaire1
Off-Kilter Scientist
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookHD+ & Kobo Touch eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Recently d/loaded a PDF ebook into my 650 via Calibre and it looks fine.
I've been using PDF as my format of choice and PDFs work fine on all of my Sony Readers (PRS-500, PRS-505, and PRS-600) as long as they are formatted for its screen size (3.5" x 4.7"). This is not the case when the PDF is formatted for other page sizes (such as 8.5" x 11"). Although reflow is available, I've found the results to be less than satisfactory.

One of the strengths of PDFs is that I can completely control the formatting of my ebooks and have them appear on my ereader as intended. I haven't had the same experience with other formats, and it compensates for the disadvantages of PDF.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:11 AM   #6
adityadubey
Addict
adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
One of the strengths of PDFs is that I can completely control the formatting of my ebooks and have them appear on my ereader as intended.
Just to clarify, do you format PDF's for your Reader's screen size yourself? Because I think I haven't come across any PDF which was so formatted. I usually prefer .lrf files when they are available. They seem to look the most beautiful on the Sony and the gap between the S and M text sizes isn't as wide as it seems with epubs.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:29 AM   #7
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1, T3T2 . Finally the Dark Side, aK-Paperwhite
Unhappy A-a-a-h-h-h-h.................

.Irf ?

I've only just got the PDF thing sorted !

carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:17 PM   #8
adityadubey
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
.Irf ?

I've only just got the PDF thing sorted !

its L not i. Its the original format for Sony and BeBook, I gather.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:41 PM   #9
Solitaire1
Off-Kilter Scientist
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookHD+ & Kobo Touch eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by adityadubey View Post
Just to clarify, do you format PDF's for your Reader's screen size yourself? Because I think I haven't come across any PDF which was so formatted. I usually prefer .lrf files when they are available. They seem to look the most beautiful on the Sony and the gap between the S and M text sizes isn't as wide as it seems with epubs.
I format and generate the PDFs myself, using StarOffice 8.0 (the commercial version of OpenOffice.org). I make the ebook as an OpenDocument text file (the default format), setting the page size the same as my ereader's screen size. When finished I generate the PDF from that file.

When I set the view to "Print Layout," the ebook looks the same on my screen as it will on my ereader at the "S" size. This allows me to identify and correct any formatting issues (such as page breaks falling in the wrong place) before I generate the final PDF.

I haven't had any experience with the .lrf format other than a few ebooks purchased from the Sony Store. When I upgraded to my current ebook reader (a PRS-600) it apparently didn't support the format and I had to download the epub version for my ereader.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote