Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-04-2011, 11:09 PM   #1
budalb
Enthusiast
budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle DXG, Sony PRS-600
Kindle 2.5.8: What's new?

Does anybody know?
budalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:35 PM   #2
jeromedevine
Zealot
jeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 3G Graphite, Sony PRS-505
Wtf is this?
jeromedevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:03 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromedevine
Wtf is this?
It's called an update. An update for something other than the Kindle 3. I know it's a hard concept for some Kindle owners to grasp, but there are still Kindle devices being used that don't run 3.x.x software.

The OP obviously noticed a change from 2.5.6/7 to 2.5.8 and would like to know what sort of changes were included with that software update.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:04 AM   #4
Histerius
Zealot
Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3 - Galaxy Tab 10.1
This? http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200529740
Histerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:06 AM   #5
Histerius
Zealot
Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3 - Galaxy Tab 10.1
Quote:
An update for something other than the Kindle 3. I know it's a hard concept for some Kindle owners to grasp, but there are still Kindle devices being used that don't run 3.x.x software.
Indeed, it didn't even crossed my mind.
Histerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:44 AM   #6
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW1, PW2
Anyone know if this messes with the jailbreak and hacks like the 3.1 did to the K3?

Imagine, Amazon still supporting the K2.....that's good....and bad!

Last edited by GoSharks; 03-05-2011 at 09:54 AM.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:50 AM   #7
budalb
Enthusiast
budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle DXG, Sony PRS-600
I just upgraded to 2.5.8 for my DXG. it doesn't affect jailbreak and font hack.
budalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:00 AM   #8
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
Thanks. Before I install it, does anyone know what it does?
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:56 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricorn
Thanks. Before I install it, does anyone know what it does?
Not really, but 2.5.7 -> 2.5.8?? You can almost guarantee it's not going to be anything earthshattering... or even noticeable for that matter.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:39 PM   #10
Caleb666
Connoisseur
Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2 64GB
"Software version 2.5.8 includes performance improvements to software version 2.5."
Caleb666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:07 PM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2
Kernel, bootloader update (Huh, first time I've seen one of these, I think), and a bunch of framework updates.

Shouldn't break anything, AFAICT .
NiLuJe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:55 PM   #12
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

x.x.8!!! wow, I still piddle along with x.x.4 what a luddite I am!
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:22 PM   #13
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW1, PW2
Just installed on two K2i's (feeling lucky! )...working fine, no problems with jailbreak or screen saver hacks. Doesn't appear to do anything other than change the last number of the firmware from 7 to 8 as far as I can tell.... Thanks NiLuJe for looking at it.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:34 AM   #14
Jcas
Zealot
Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle PW2,Kindle DXG,iPhone 4
Just updated my DXG from 2.5.5 and everything is working fine ... yay
Jcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:04 AM   #15
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

i wish they would tell us what is really changed in these updates. I want to know if Amazon is taking more control over our readers. I guess I am not too used to the idea of firmware updates which are so secretive. Of course the only devices I own with regular firmware updates are DSLR's and a old MP3 players. And obviously a few of them are too old for more update support.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote