Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-24-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Limited edition ebooks

What is the logic of limited edition ebooks? Issuing a limited edition hardback I can understand, but why limit the ebook version and remove it for sale when the hardback has sold out?

The hardback will live on in the second hand market, but once the ebook is gone it is gone forever unless someone pirates it. Either way there is no possibility of further income from that book for either writer or publisher.

I can't really see how the existence of an ebook would devalue the hardback either, the markets are completely different.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
Anthem
Evangelist
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire HDX
"Limited Edition e-Books"?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Breathe!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:21 PM   #3
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Hardbacks may live on in the second hand market, but the second hand market also provies no income for the publisher or author.

The idea of a limited edition ebook, however, is just silly.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:33 PM   #4
outlander78
Connoisseur
outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650
Limited releases of ebooks is the dumbest and funniest idea I have heard today. Thanks.

The purpose is simple - artificial scarcity to drive up the price.
outlander78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:07 PM   #5
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
I was before I even clicked on this thread. Is there really any such thing?
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:37 PM   #6
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:44 PM   #7
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
As I see it Mr P, ebooks should have no limits or boundaries. Lose DRM and they are there forever. That's how it should be. But it takes all kinds, I guess ... bestests. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:49 PM   #8
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR Glowlight, Sony T1, Acer Iconia A200
What an odd concept. I can almost see using a limited edition book (in all formats, HB, PB, EB) as a promo or publicity move, but not the ebook format as a limited edition itself or attached to a HB limited ed. Usually when a HB is billed as limited edition, it's then followed by the MMPB. A HB limited ed. makes some sense in that context, and adds a secondary (though admittedly subjective) value to the HB format.

But ebook? Not so much, especially since we're currently still in a world where ebooks are often seen (at least in the case of traditionally published books) as a derivative or secondary format. And that's without even considering the fact that removing DRM is now dead easy and makes "limiting" the ebook pointless. If you copy a limited ed. HB, you end up with a copy of a limited ed. HB, not the same book. If you copy a digital file, you have an exact duplicate. Ironically, in that case, a file with DRM attached would have the greater (illusory) value. That makes me giggle.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:57 PM   #9
outlander78
Connoisseur
outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650
Could you give some links to limited edition ebooks that you have come across? I am curious what genre they are from.
outlander78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:14 PM   #10
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass

This is the one I wanted, I had it in my Kindle wishlist but didn't want to buy it until I had a gap in my reading schedule. But now that the book has sold all its 400 copies the ebook has been withdrawn.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hero-J-F-Gonzalez/dp/1935006029

The parrot on my shoulder is no help either.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:25 PM   #11
pietrocrazy
Connoisseur
pietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
What is special about a limited edition ebook? Different cover art? I just can't imagine. Why would anybody want to buy one?
pietrocrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:52 PM   #12
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Why would anyone want to pay a hundred dollars for a limp stuffed animal? Let alone get into a physical fight over one at a store? It makes no sense, but you just have to remember the Beanie Baby craze for a perfect demonstration of the power of artificial scarcity.

(admittedly there's a small Beanie varanid sitting on my desk right now, and it used to be on top of this display before I bought a flatscreen ... but I had to: it is obviously a monitor lizard!)
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:54 PM   #13
Hamlet53
Sister Carrie
Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9"
Wonder if there is any relation to this thread : http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122994 ?

I have to admit that this is a very strange idea. It almost strikes me as an encouragement to DRM removal and file sharing.
Hamlet53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:07 PM   #14
pietrocrazy
Connoisseur
pietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Why would anyone want to pay a hundred dollars for a limp stuffed animal? Let alone get into a physical fight over one at a store? It makes no sense, but you just have to remember the Beanie Baby craze for a perfect demonstration of the power of artificial scarcity.

(admittedly there's a small Beanie varanid sitting on my desk right now, and it used to be on top of this display before I bought a flatscreen ... but I had to: it is obviously a monitor lizard!)
Beanie Babies are different. They are physical objects. You can collect them, show them off, play with them (not that I think all that is worth what people pay for them). Ebooks are really very bare-bones, all there is is the actual information, ust the words inside the book, so one ebook should in theory be the same as the next, unless there are special limited edition footnotes or something. I just can't imagine anyone finding it worth the money. People who are interested more in the physical aspect of owning a limited edition book tend to buy real books, not ebooks.
pietrocrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:13 PM   #15
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
You have a point there, Pietro. My monitor lizard does, after all, hang out on (or under, now) my monitor. Though I got him for a buck at a yard sale, and I don't think anyone pays insane prices for them anymore. But an ebook is the words ... what can there be but the words? The whole "limited edition" idea seems to be limiting how many people can read those words ... and that seems utterly self-defeating to the seller of words.

Ah, well, I will never get through my TBR list in my lifetime anyway (it grows faster than I can read it down) so I feel no sense of loss whatsoever if some random person doesn't want to sell me an ebook. There are a hundred others clamoring to take his place.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote