Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-24-2011, 07:44 AM   #1
zerofate
Member
zerofate began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 11
Karma: 10
Join Date: Dec 2010
Device: none
Kindle pdf cropping?

Hi all

I have seen a few tools for cropping margins and changing the flow of pdfs (briss pdfscissors etc). However I was wondering if there is a way to set the crop to be the same on every page? The reason being is that the kindle can only display so much on a page and I find myself scrolling through pages only to get to one page that has only 2 lines on.

So what I figured is if I sent briss, or the cropping to be X hieght for every page it could formatt the pages perfectly so i would no longer get tiny pages.

Does this make sence?

Oh and the reason for not straight converiting it to mobi is that these are books that contain images and or code blocks

Z
zerofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
stevo9er
Member
stevo9er will become famous soon enoughstevo9er will become famous soon enoughstevo9er will become famous soon enoughstevo9er will become famous soon enoughstevo9er will become famous soon enoughstevo9er will become famous soon enough
 
Posts: 11
Karma: 532
Join Date: Dec 2010
Device: kindle
Nitro PDF is good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerofate View Post
Hi all

I have seen a few tools for cropping margins and changing the flow of pdfs (briss pdfscissors etc). However I was wondering if there is a way to set the crop to be the same on every page? The reason being is that the kindle can only display so much on a page and I find myself scrolling through pages only to get to one page that has only 2 lines on.

So what I figured is if I sent briss, or the cropping to be X hieght for every page it could formatt the pages perfectly so i would no longer get tiny pages.

Does this make sence?

Oh and the reason for not straight converiting it to mobi is that these are books that contain images and or code blocks

Z
stevo9er is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Advertisement
Old 02-24-2011, 11:02 PM   #3
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys
 
curstpriest's Avatar
 
Posts: 402
Karma: 5538
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bay Area
Device: Kindle DXG
Acrobat Pro can do this easily as well...
However, when you crop the frame content is preserved, it only crops what is drawn in the frame.

Another option is to get a free print driver - like PDFCREATOR, and configure it to crop (remove whitespace) or just print to a smaller paper size (like 3x4.5 instead of 8.5x11)
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:09 PM   #4
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 2,680
Karma: 3698469
Join Date: Dec 2007
Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, Droid Razr Maxx HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerofate View Post
Hi all

So what I figured is if I sent briss, or the cropping to be X hieght for every page it could formatt the pages perfectly so i would no longer get tiny pages.

Does this make sence?
I've used briss a few times, and that's basically what it does. You use a rectangle to size the crop area of the left and right pages, and it crops all the pages to just what is in the rectangles.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:21 AM   #5
zerofate
Member
zerofate began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 11
Karma: 10
Join Date: Dec 2010
Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I've used briss a few times, and that's basically what it does. You use a rectangle to size the crop area of the left and right pages, and it crops all the pages to just what is in the rectangles.
The only current issue I have with briss is the inability to specifiy the rectangle size. So you need to guess the correct rectangle size. I will try PDFCreator, thanks for the tip!
zerofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:04 AM   #6
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 2,680
Karma: 3698469
Join Date: Dec 2007
Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, Droid Razr Maxx HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerofate View Post
The only current issue I have with briss is the inability to specifiy the rectangle size. So you need to guess the correct rectangle size. I will try PDFCreator, thanks for the tip!
You shouldn't have to guess the sizes. Briss shows you where the text is on the pages.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:56 PM   #7
zerofate
Member
zerofate began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 11
Karma: 10
Join Date: Dec 2010
Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
You shouldn't have to guess the sizes. Briss shows you where the text is on the pages.
Yes however briss doesnt know how big the kindle screen is.

I'm still searching for software where given the sizes it will crop it for best fit such that the page size is the exact width and hieght of the kindle (probably in landscape)
zerofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:42 PM   #8
montalex
Addict
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 391
Karma: 517398
Join Date: Mar 2010
Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerofate View Post
Yes however briss doesnt know how big the kindle screen is.

I'm still searching for software where given the sizes it will crop it for best fit such that the page size is the exact width and hieght of the kindle (probably in landscape)
You don't need to specify page size. Just crop off everything but the text, and Kindle will adapt the page to the screen. For example, If I have a document sized pdf page, I clip off the side and top and bottom margins, and it will display on Kindle with some side margin in portrait mode because that's the only way to show the whole page. On landscape mode, on the other hand, on which the the whole page is not displayed, you get no side margins, and, thus, maximum type size.

See next post -- I guess I am wrong about this.... Sorry

Last edited by montalex; 02-28-2011 at 10:25 AM. Reason: error
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:12 AM   #9
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys
 
curstpriest's Avatar
 
Posts: 402
Karma: 5538
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bay Area
Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
You don't need to specify page size. Just crop off everything but the text, and Kindle will adapt the page to the screen. For example, If I have a document sized pdf page, I clip off the side and top and bottom margins, and it will display on Kindle with some side margin in portrait mode because that's the only way to show the whole page. On landscape mode, on the other hand, on which the the whole page is not displayed, you get no side margins, and, thus, maximum type size.
you are wrong, if the dimensions are not standard 8.5x11 it will display incorrectly, narrow pages will get cropped on top/bottom often. Resizing paper works fine, removing margins will not.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:24 AM   #10
montalex
Addict
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 391
Karma: 517398
Join Date: Mar 2010
Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by curstpriest View Post
you are wrong, if the dimensions are not standard 8.5x11 it will display incorrectly, narrow pages will get cropped on top/bottom often. Resizing paper works fine, removing margins will not.
Sorry if I am wrong, CP. I always crop with Adobe Acrobat, and I have never had a problem, even with unusual page sizes. I guess I have been lucky. Sorry for misinformation.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:19 AM   #11
zerofate
Member
zerofate began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 11
Karma: 10
Join Date: Dec 2010
Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by curstpriest View Post
Acrobat Pro can do this easily as well...
However, when you crop the frame content is preserved, it only crops what is drawn in the frame.

Another option is to get a free print driver - like PDFCREATOR, and configure it to crop (remove whitespace) or just print to a smaller paper size (like 3x4.5 instead of 8.5x11)
I've tried a few products so far pdfcreator and cutepdf however both consume an awful lot of resources when converting and dont seem to change the page size when printing a pdf. Is acrobat pro the only way to resize to a precise size?

Also does anyone know the dimensions of the kindles pdf reader? what size is its page size
zerofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:23 AM   #12
AceVentura
Junior Member
AceVentura began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 8
Karma: 10
Join Date: Dec 2011
Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by curstpriest View Post
you are wrong, if the dimensions are not standard 8.5x11 it will display incorrectly, narrow pages will get cropped on top/bottom often. Resizing paper works fine, removing margins will not.
Do you know why is this so?
AceVentura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:27 PM   #13
Rizla
Wizard
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Rizla's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,941
Karma: 4189999
Join Date: Nov 2010
Device: PRS-650 / Cybook Opus / Nook STR (rooted)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
You shouldn't have to guess the sizes. Briss shows you where the text is on the pages.
I have found it can slightly truncate sentences at one end, which is annoying. I was unable to find a manual setting to adjust it.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
briss, cropping pdf, kindle 3, pdf

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PDF cropping software: BRISS laborg PDF 300 11-01-2014 11:58 AM
PDF conversion ignores images and cropping Starko Calibre 7 11-23-2010 06:25 PM
cropping pdf with preview wang960 Sony Reader 2 05-05-2009 10:28 AM
Yet another PDF cropping tool sjvr767 iRex 7 02-14-2009 08:04 AM
Nice Mac OS X .pdf Cropping Tool jmdor Sony Reader 0 04-04-2007 11:41 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:16 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.