Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-20-2011, 07:26 PM   #1
NVash
Wandering Vagabond
NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
Not Available In The US?!

http://www.amazon.com/Von-Ryans-Expr...=2NJIDLSAU9LFK
This is something entirely new to me. Ive read about the Geo-restrictions many times but that seems to be predominantly in Australia and Canada. However I never once saw a book that wasnt available in the US. Whats most interesting is that this is one of two links that I had for this book. There was always two versions of this novel on Kindle and both were up for purchase. I never knew which one to buy due to this and the fact that there were no ratings. So I put both of them in my Wishlist. I just so happened to be cleaning out my Wishlist earlier and saw this. Whats even more interesting is the fact that there were two links for the first Von Ryan book but no Kindle version for the second. I never understood that. Anyway, just something I found interesting. Anyone ever see this before?
NVash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:30 PM   #2
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; iPad3, iPad Mini; Kindle Touch, Paperwhite
I saw that on SONY's store. Some books available for Canada but not the US. Never noticed it on Amazon. Welcome to the rest of the world...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 10-20-2011, 10:57 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I've seen it quite often with British authors I like.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:30 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 and Fire
Kindle ebooks you can't buy because of Geo-restrictions are usually hidden, for example if you click on the Hardback version of Von Ryan's Express from a US account the Kindle version is no longer listed. They can be found sometimes in searches for an author or a book, and also with a direct link (as in this case).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:15 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, N7
Welcome to the club .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:30 AM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Kobo Touch, Sony PRS T3, Nexus 7, iPad mini
As a resident of Australia my heart bleads for you.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:38 AM   #7
colinsky
Groupie
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300
But that particular book is available?

http://www.amazon.com/Ryans-Express-...dp/B003XVYLGC/
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:12 AM   #8
sylviebi
Connoisseur
sylviebi is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle, DSi xl, 3DS, iPod, Playbbok
as a Canadian, I ask "So how does that feel ayh?"
sylviebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #9
HomeInMyShoes
Ginormous Intergalactic
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
And this book isn't available in Canada either. That's an odd one as I've previously purchased an ebook from Rosetta Books before. When publishers don't figure this stuff out it just leads me to the library, loses them a sale, and saves me some money.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:08 AM   #10
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, H2O
We need to organize an international georestriction circumvention team.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:53 AM   #11
NVash
Wandering Vagabond
NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinsky View Post
But that particular book is available?

http://www.amazon.com/Ryans-Express-...dp/B003XVYLGC/
That would be the second link I spoke of. Funny, I seem to recall it being $5 originally. They jacked it up .40 and still cant give a good cover? Come on, this is ridiculous.

http://www.amazon.com/Von-Ryans-Retu...9208341&sr=8-1
And, while this is nitpicking, I feel I have to say it. Again I ask why the sequel isnt in Kindle form. Im tired of seeing these half behind attempts at making a series into Kindle format. I know of another series right now where they made the second into Kindle format but good luck on finding the first. What kind of junk is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylviebi View Post
as a Canadian, I ask "So how does that feel ayh?"
No sir, I dont like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
And this book isn't available in Canada either. That's an odd one as I've previously purchased an ebook from Rosetta Books before. When publishers don't figure this stuff out it just leads me to the library, loses them a sale, and saves me some money.
Oddly enough I was introduced to this series through a school library many many years go for a book report. Kind of ironic I think.
NVash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:57 AM   #12
HomeInMyShoes
Ginormous Intergalactic
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
^Yep. It is ironic. Most of the books I haven't been able to buy have been available at the library.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:30 PM   #13
Gumbywan
Gumbywan
Gumbywan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle v.1
Has anyone ever tried to put in a bogus foreign address in the Manage Kindle page to get the Kindle to download a book w/o a copyright in the US, say an address in Great Britain? Does Whispernet know where you are? How about dl and transferring via USB? How about e-mail?

Last edited by Gumbywan; 10-23-2011 at 11:38 PM.
Gumbywan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:26 AM   #14
sylviebi
Connoisseur
sylviebi is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle, DSi xl, 3DS, iPod, Playbbok
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbywan View Post
Has anyone ever tried to put in a bogus foreign address in the Manage Kindle page to get the Kindle to download a book w/o a copyright in the US, say an address in Great Britain? Does Whispernet know where you are? How about dl and transferring via USB? How about e-mail?
I have done this. I used an address of a store just across the border. You must change your country of origin also. Once you receive your book, just change it back. Out of the 5 or so times that I did this, I received 1 email from kindle stating to send proof that I was a USA resident. I didn't (cause I'm not). Then I thought, I'll try it again and it worked. I think it might just be an auto generated email when the account's country of origin changes... but I am not sure why I did not receive the email all 5 times...

Anyway, this borders on dishonesty (ok it is dishonest) so do at your own risk to your morality... Oh and this was back in May so I am not sure if any update or change of procedure has changed. I doubt it. They took my money and ran and sent their obligatory email to wash their hands of it. (IMO)
sylviebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:50 PM   #15
apostrophistica
apostrophistica began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
There are books available for the Kindle from Amazon.co.uk that aren't available in the U.S. store -- won't complain much about that, since the U.S. store overall has a larger selection of ebooks. And there are classic ebooks that I've downloaded for free that my friend in London had to pay for -- not much per book, but considering how many free books I've downloaded for my Kindle from Amazon, it would run into real money if I had to pay even a buck per title.

The one big gripe I have is that there is no German dictionary available for download -- at any price -- from the U.S. Amazon site. They must have one since there is apparently one on the new Kindle 4, and they sell Kindles in Germany & other German-speaking countries. Given that I would use a German dictionary far more frequently than I do an English one, since English is my native language & I rarely run across a word I'm unfamiliar with (though the K's dictionary look-up is great for those occasions), I am frustrated by the unavailability of a German dictionary.
apostrophistica is offline   Reply With Quote