Notices

Old 02-21-2011, 08:28 AM   #1
HeyYou
Interested in everything!
HeyYou began at the beginning.

Device: Nook & Nook Color
B&N Customer Service

Greetings, all.

This is a happy, satisfied story. I have had an e-ink Nook since June 2010, and purchased a Color in January. Inevitably, my e-ink has been getting a bit less love recently, as the NC is better for reading in the dark, cold Michigan winter.

That said, the older Nook is still valued and used daily. Recently, my teenage daughter has been reading Septimus Heap on it. Saturday morning, she powered the Nook down, and it subsequently wouldn't restart. I followed all of the recommendations I could find in the forums here and elsewhere, to no avail.

Finally giving up hope, I took the Nook to our local B&N in Rochester Hills, MI. They quickly tested and verified its demise, made a quick call to ascertain its warranty status, and provided a new Nook. This allowed me to retrieve my NC from my daughter, leaving her satisfied with e-ink and me pleased with a solid customer service experience.

Kudos, Barnes & Noble. Good devices, excellent service.
HeyYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:34 AM   #2
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
Hmmm I am a big fan of the Nook and the nookcolor ..hell I have both and often sing their praises. But I have to say, their telephone customer service is the worst I have ever come across.

I know government departments that offer better customer service.

Last edited by iandix; 02-21-2011 at 12:26 PM.
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 02-21-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, HY. And it's always great to read an opening post from someone with positive experience. Happy Nooking and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:33 PM   #4
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
I wish my nook replacement experience had been that pleasant.

Short version: Bezel cracked, store said 'call 1-800-the book' was on hold so long handset battery croaked. got a new battery, on hold forever. sent in nook and was promised replacement in 10-14 bus days. Actually took almost 6 weeks and that only after 2 calls to CS.

Longer version. Sent in nook, after no replacement w/in 3 weeks called them (on hold forever) was told it had arrived with cracked swipe screen. (I'd mailed it in a cardboard box with layers of bubble wrap) so original warranty didn't apply. Pointed out I'd bought extended warranty. Oh, then we'll start a new claim. They said that the 10-14 day turnaround was still valid as this was a new claim. 2 weeks later I called to find out why no nook. Oh, second claim hadn't been forwarded, we'll get right on it. I did get the nook in about 3 days after that 2nd call.

In the meantime I'd bought a Pandigital Novel and wasn't any too concerned if I ever saw the nook again. If it ever needs replacing I'll not buy another one.

Last edited by wandalynn; 02-21-2011 at 08:35 PM.
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:59 PM   #5
BecomingMe
BecomingMe is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
It may be that B&N are working on their customer service...after hearing such horror stories...I had to call about a Nookbook (I had some payment issues) on Saturday (2/19) I called, and it was taken care of with pleasantness, courtesy, accuracy, and timeliness...I was impressed how well they had taken care of the issue...hopefully the good service can continue, and they take it seriously...
BecomingMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:15 AM   #6
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Very cool, it seems going into a store to do the warranty stuff is better than the phone, from your experience
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:51 AM   #7
HeyYou
Interested in everything!
HeyYou began at the beginning.

Device: Nook & Nook Color
In-store

If you have a local store, that seems the way to go. Not only do you support your community, there is no substitute for face to face interaction. I had to wait a moment at the counter (on a Sunday afternoon), but once the process started, three employees with increasing degrees of Nook technical knowledge showed up in short order.

Barnes & Noble is still (mostly) brick-and-mortar based, so it's not surprising (though not really excusable) that their call-in and Internet support lags. The in-store stuff, though, is very impressive.
HeyYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:25 PM   #8
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5
I had a good experience when a payment failed due to an updated credit card. It irked me that I was forced to call to update the payment rather than being able to do it online like with most companies, but the service I received was prompt and courteous, only took around 5 minutes.

And the instore support available when I was looking for a NookColor was excellent, far more knowledgable on their product than any big box electronics or department store I've been to. That could vary by the individual store I'm sure, but I generally hear good things.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote