Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-16-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
Wolf3
Connoisseur
Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.
 
Posts: 52
Karma: 386
Join Date: Feb 2011
Device: Nook 2, Kindle 3, iPad 2, iPod 4
eInk versus LCD model, if I have issues with both?

So I'm told Nook doesn't use activation for its DRM, but instead locks books with a password (credit card number), while of course Sony and Amazon use activation.

Because of that I'm thinking of replacing my damaged Kindle 2 with a Nook...only I'm not sure which one.

I really want eInk Pearl...the contrast seems dramatically better, and I hate buying another Viziplex (sp?) based eInk model.

I also don't want LCD. I stare at LCD screens all day...at work, at home for my TV...I like print, and after that eInk when I'm trying to read.

The Nook Color does seem like really amazing hardware for the price, and apparently uses an IPS screen, but still.

if B&N sold graphic novels or magazines that I subscribe to, maybe I'd be more tempted (although I think I'd still prefer a color eInk screen for those...or maybe even just black and white).

I'm also not a fan of touch screens. I like hardware buttons like the eInk Nook or Kindle have.

Basically I'd like the regular Nook, but with an updated eInk Pearl screen!

Any thoughts?
Wolf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:35 PM   #2
kmack
Member
kmack has learned how to buy an e-book online
 
kmack's Avatar
 
Posts: 21
Karma: 87
Join Date: Jan 2008
Device: Nook, EBW-1150
The Nook Color is an amazing piece of hardware for the money. The screen is incredible.

Sounds to me like you would not be happy with a Nook. All of the things you listed as negatives, the touchscreen, LCD, and the lack of hardware buttons are the primary features of the Nook Color, and the eInk Nook uses a touchscreen LCD instead of hardware buttons. You should not even consider a Nook, of any kind.

Maybe you can find a good deal on a refurb K2 or K3 until an affordable color eInk comes out in a couple of years.
kmack is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Enthusiast
Old 02-16-2011, 09:31 PM   #3
Wolf3
Connoisseur
Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.
 
Posts: 52
Karma: 386
Join Date: Feb 2011
Device: Nook 2, Kindle 3, iPad 2, iPod 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmack View Post
The Nook Color is an amazing piece of hardware for the money. The screen is incredible.
Oh I totally agree. For half the price of the iPad, you get the same screen technology (just 7 instead of 9.7"), the same CPU (just 800Mhz instead of 1GHz), and actually double the RAM, in what appears to be a nice package.

It's just yeah, I like eInk for reading, particularly when the majority of my day is spent in front of an LCD display already, and I don't like touch screens, so...yeah.

Quote:
and the eInk Nook uses a touchscreen LCD instead of hardware buttons.
So far as I know the eInk Nook doesn't...oh, wait, I see what you're getting at, that mini-LCD touch screen in the place of a keyboard. Yeah, that sounds gimmicky and slower than having buttons, but I don't think that's a huge deal for me. I really meant like having hardware forward/back buttons, which the eInk Nook has. In fact they look nicer than the Kindle 2's equivalent, if anything! I don't use the keyboard much on the Kindle, so I don't think just using it to find a book to buy or whatever would be a huge deal for me.

As far as I know, my only complaint with the eInk Nook is it's using the last gen Viziplex (or whatever it's called) screen instead of the massively better Pearl version. If it had an updated screen, I'd just grab it and be done with it.
Wolf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:27 PM   #4
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Posts: 205
Karma: 882
Join Date: Dec 2010
Device: NookColor.........rooted
Maybe you should just stick with hardcopy books........until the technology meets your needs........

I work on a computer all day, everyday.......but have no issues with reading on my nookcolor.......much different than a typical computer screen........I'm a night reader......it's the perfect fit.....for me.......with the tablet feature bonus......
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:25 PM   #5
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
jocampo's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,956
Karma: 6929373
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: USA
Device: iPad mini, Kindle Touch and PW
I had the Nook 1st gen and it was on "ok" device. I sold it and bought a Kindle 3 because the type of books I read and like were absent from B&N online bookstore. So even when I had an reader which uses the ePub standard, it was useless to me. Another thing I like from the Kindle 3 is that is lighter, so if you read a lot, it can be more comfortable to hold. Nook 1st gen has an older eink technology so at this point, I would look forward and get a pearl screen: Sony or Kindle.

You can also compare both libraries and do a search with the titles you had or would like to get. Even when you can buy non DRM ebooks in other stores different than B&N or Amazon, it is always a good idea getting a reader which primary online bookstore has lot of your preferred books; faster to download into your reader.

If you think lending from public libraries is a must for you or you enjoy the "in store B&N" feature, I would say get the Nook instead.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:44 PM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
=X='s Avatar
 
Posts: 3,672
Karma: 12205348
Join Date: Mar 2008
Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I love my nook color and like it for almost the reasons you disliked it, too funny. I like the Color LCD, touch screen and price point. Also I've modified my nook to run android (nookie) so I can read abobe books, kindle books and b&n books using the android apps found in the market.

That said I do prefer reading on my kindle 2. Eink is just better suited for reading.

I don't typically get eye strain or am a snob about what I'm reading on, I've read books on my phone, nook, kindle. The kindle is the best experience the screen makes a difference.

If you want a multipurpose device, the nook color rocks and is very portable.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:18 PM   #7
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 2,391
Karma: 1001781
Join Date: May 2010
Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf3 View Post
So I'm told Nook doesn't use activation for its DRM, but instead locks books with a password (credit card number), while of course Sony and Amazon use activation.

Because of that I'm thinking of replacing my damaged Kindle 2 with a Nook...only I'm not sure which one.

I really want eInk Pearl...the contrast seems dramatically better, and I hate buying another Viziplex (sp?) based eInk model.

I also don't want LCD. I stare at LCD screens all day...at work, at home for my TV...I like print, and after that eInk when I'm trying to read.

The Nook Color does seem like really amazing hardware for the price, and apparently uses an IPS screen, but still.

if B&N sold graphic novels or magazines that I subscribe to, maybe I'd be more tempted (although I think I'd still prefer a color eInk screen for those...or maybe even just black and white).

I'm also not a fan of touch screens. I like hardware buttons like the eInk Nook or Kindle have.

Basically I'd like the regular Nook, but with an updated eInk Pearl screen!

Any thoughts?

the nook eink had a firmware update done a couple of months ago v1.5 part of that update came with darker text. I and many feel this screen of the nook eink is on par with Pearl Screen. If you have a Best Buy near your home go and take a look. I think you'll find the difference to be very very minimal.

the nook's eink screen's contrast is excellent.

Last edited by boswd; 02-17-2011 at 04:21 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:23 AM   #8
Wolf3
Connoisseur
Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.
 
Posts: 52
Karma: 386
Join Date: Feb 2011
Device: Nook 2, Kindle 3, iPad 2, iPod 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
the nook eink had a firmware update done a couple of months ago v1.5 part of that update came with darker text. I and many feel this screen of the nook eink is on par with Pearl Screen. If you have a Best Buy near your home go and take a look. I think you'll find the difference to be very very minimal.

the nook's eink screen's contrast is excellent.
Ironically I did just go to Best Buy today, and was coming in here to ask/talk about just this, as it was making no sense to me!

The Nook poster had a Nook Color and eInk Nook on it, and over the eInk model it had a "new and improved" label...so I'd been wondering if it actually was using a Pearl screen.

Because side by side with a Kindle 3, I was shocked that the Nook actually looked fine as near as I could tell...the blacks looked very dark, less gray than on my Kindle 2, and holding Nook/K3 side by side, I'm not sure I could tell the K3 has a technological edge...I mean I kind of feel like maybe I could tell, but then I'm EXPECTING to see it. Would be nice to have some comparison photos under home lighting conditions!

It's hard to tell under bright florescent lights, as the contrast on my Kindle 2 looked a LOT better under those conditions, while looking kind of murky and blurry and gray under the light I read by at night. I'm wondering if I had a Nook and K3 at home, there'd actually be be a noticeable difference.

Refresh speed was a lot slower on the Nook, but I don't know that that matters all THAT much to me. Interface with the touch screen felt clunky by comparison too, but then 99% of the time I'd just be using the hardware buttons on the side. (Mainly I just found it slower, and don't like the unnatural feeling way the interface gets split up between two different types of screens...just makes navigation feel weirder than on a Kindle, but then mostly you use these to read on, not to navigate around with.)

So...hmm. I wonder why Barnes & Noble hasn't switched to a Pearl? I wonder how they were able to make the last gen screen look so DARK if no one else can? I liked both fonts from the looks of it. For that matter I think I like the text options on the Kindle 3 better than the K2 also, and I can't explain why. It seemed like fonts on the K3 were larger somehow while not taking up more space...which makes no sense.

Played with the Nook Color too, and while I don't think I want one, there's no question it's well done for what it is. Screen definitely seems to be IPS, good viewing angles. Interface feels plenty fast, laid out pretty well. Wish it had the hardware forward/back buttons on the sides though like the eInk one, and I'd like some visual feedback on page changes...and artificial eInk like 'flash', a quick page swish, or something, but it feels like a real, slick product unlike some of the 'off brand' products in the same price range.

I thought the Sony readers actually looked WORSE than the eInk Nook's screen, despite having Pearl screens!...I assume because of the touch screen layer (that I don't even want). I would definitely pick out the Nook as having the more advanced screen if I didn't know, as...well the Sony ones looked more like my K2, and the Nook's text in store looked a heck of a lot like the K3...somehow.

Soooo I don't know. Honestly I suspect I might be happy with a Nook OR a Kindle 3 OR a Kindle DX! If B&N had just thrown in a Pearl screen update though, geez, I'd just go with it for sure, give them a shot. I think I would have gone with a Nook to begin with had it been out at the time I bought my K2. (Came out 6 months later I think.)

Last edited by Wolf3; 02-18-2011 at 01:30 AM.
Wolf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:41 PM   #9
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 2,391
Karma: 1001781
Join Date: May 2010
Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf3 View Post
Ironically I did just go to Best Buy today, and was coming in here to ask/talk about just this, as it was making no sense to me!

The Nook poster had a Nook Color and eInk Nook on it, and over the eInk model it had a "new and improved" label...so I'd been wondering if it actually was using a Pearl screen.

Because side by side with a Kindle 3, I was shocked that the Nook actually looked fine as near as I could tell...the blacks looked very dark, less gray than on my Kindle 2, and holding Nook/K3 side by side, I'm not sure I could tell the K3 has a technological edge...I mean I kind of feel like maybe I could tell, but then I'm EXPECTING to see it. Would be nice to have some comparison photos under home lighting conditions!

It's hard to tell under bright florescent lights, as the contrast on my Kindle 2 looked a LOT better under those conditions, while looking kind of murky and blurry and gray under the light I read by at night. I'm wondering if I had a Nook and K3 at home, there'd actually be be a noticeable difference.

Refresh speed was a lot slower on the Nook, but I don't know that that matters all THAT much to me. Interface with the touch screen felt clunky by comparison too, but then 99% of the time I'd just be using the hardware buttons on the side. (Mainly I just found it slower, and don't like the unnatural feeling way the interface gets split up between two different types of screens...just makes navigation feel weirder than on a Kindle, but then mostly you use these to read on, not to navigate around with.)

So...hmm. I wonder why Barnes & Noble hasn't switched to a Pearl? I wonder how they were able to make the last gen screen look so DARK if no one else can? I liked both fonts from the looks of it. For that matter I think I like the text options on the Kindle 3 better than the K2 also, and I can't explain why. It seemed like fonts on the K3 were larger somehow while not taking up more space...which makes no sense.

Played with the Nook Color too, and while I don't think I want one, there's no question it's well done for what it is. Screen definitely seems to be IPS, good viewing angles. Interface feels plenty fast, laid out pretty well. Wish it had the hardware forward/back buttons on the sides though like the eInk one, and I'd like some visual feedback on page changes...and artificial eInk like 'flash', a quick page swish, or something, but it feels like a real, slick product unlike some of the 'off brand' products in the same price range.

I thought the Sony readers actually looked WORSE than the eInk Nook's screen, despite having Pearl screens!...I assume because of the touch screen layer (that I don't even want). I would definitely pick out the Nook as having the more advanced screen if I didn't know, as...well the Sony ones looked more like my K2, and the Nook's text in store looked a heck of a lot like the K3...somehow.

Soooo I don't know. Honestly I suspect I might be happy with a Nook OR a Kindle 3 OR a Kindle DX! If B&N had just thrown in a Pearl screen update though, geez, I'd just go with it for sure, give them a shot. I think I would have gone with a Nook to begin with had it been out at the time I bought my K2. (Came out 6 months later I think.)
I'm soo glad a non nook owner has seen basically the same thing we are seeing. I'll have to get together with my friend and his kindle and take some screen shots. I can assure you it's the same at home as it is in Best Buy. The difference is almost non existant between the two screens but some people on this forum refuse to believe The nook classic's screen really is fantastic.

as far as the touch screen on the nook classic. It seems to be a common theme I've noticed that alot of people start out saying exactly what you are saying,, "It feels clumsy or clunky" but after spending some time with and getting to know it's rhytem they end up falling in love with navigating using the second screen.
I came from an iPhone 3Gs before I purchased my Nook classic, so I was already used to navigation on a capactive screen. I took to my wifes nook right away and could not believe I actually wanted a Kindle.

Once you get to "Know" your nook the LCD screen becomes a joy. There is no way I could go from a nook to a kindle and it's navigation but that's me.

If the screen looks just as good to you then actually who cares if it's not Pearl screen. The whole point of a Pearl Screen is for the added contrast and if it's there already on an ePub device, I'm not sure what difference it'll make.

But good luck to you and let us know how you make out.

Last edited by boswd; 02-18-2011 at 01:44 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:03 PM   #10
bigbrothad
Member
bigbrothad began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 22
Karma: 20
Join Date: Dec 2010
Device: nook
I suggest for you to stop by your BN store and look at the Nook e-ink. I own both a NC and classic Nook. I find reading text on the eink screen to be very comfortable on my eyes. I've seen the K3 at Best Buy and the pearl screen looked more gray than the Nook screen. The contrast of the Nook e-ink looks better to me than the K3. Also, firmware 1.5 improved the page turn speed noticeably faster than 1.4 and prior. The Nook classic has physical page turn buttons.

Hardware-wise, the K3 I believe has a longer battery life than the Nook.
bigbrothad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jetbook/Libre LCD more robust than Eink? luqmaninbmore Which one should I buy? 6 02-18-2011 03:04 PM
E-ink technology versus LCD ? erictoma Which one should I buy? 23 12-07-2010 11:05 AM
Dual screen eink and Lcd Android Phone Dopedangel News 3 09-17-2010 10:19 AM
Is there an anti-LCD/pro-Eink bias on MobileRead? Nate the great Feedback 137 05-18-2010 09:13 PM
How much better is eInk from grayscale LCD screens? angelbleu Which one should I buy? 2 11-13-2009 05:19 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:01 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.