Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-29-2011, 03:35 PM   #1
DarkRose
DarkRose began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
To register or not?

I just did a factory reset on my kindle and I'm wondering if I should re-register it to amazon or not. I've only actually bought a couple of books from amazon and the rest I got from there when they were free.
I get most of my books through torrents so thats mainly why I'm asking. I'm just paranoid amazon is going to freak out over that and shut down my kindle or something lol.
DarkRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Onyx T68, N7,
It's really not a terribly good idea to tell everyone that you've downloaded books illegally. Most people here believe in supporting ebooks and authors by buying their books. You're not going to win any friends by telling people how much stuff you've got illegally.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:30 PM   #3
DarkRose

Thanks for the tip......now can anyone actually answer my question?
Old 07-29-2011, 04:34 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Thanks for the tip......now can anyone actually answer my question?
Yes, I'm almost sure someone can.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:48 PM   #5
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
That's a really interesting question. I'd suggest you call Kindle Customer Service with it. I'm sure they'd love to help.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:48 PM   #6
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
Dang I'm doing it wrong....

I actually Pay for my books and not steal them
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:23 PM   #7
DarkRose

Oh...I get it now...its totally cool to strip DRM, Hack and backdoor an ereader but its totally immoral to deprive the poor poor destitute author of the twenty cents he might have made off the sale of that book.....riiiight, god I'm such an awful person. How do I ever live with myself.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:38 PM   #8
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRose View Post
Oh...I get it now...its totally cool to strip DRM, Hack and backdoor an ereader but its totally immoral to deprive the poor poor destitute author of the twenty cents he might have made off the sale of that book.....riiiight, god I'm such an awful person. How do I ever live with myself.
I do not see the correlation between: Stripping the DRM from a Book that you
purchased so it can be archived or Hacking an E-Book reader that you also
purchased to add features (most just do it for the screen saver) and stealing

Do you expect to be paid for your labors?

I expect to be paid for mine, and I would think the author also expects to be paid.

Last edited by Harry_Y; 07-29-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:28 PM   #9
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Amazon does reserve the right to poke around on your Kindle in their terms of service. I believe it would be technically feasible to do if the Kindle were connected, regardless of whether it was registered. They certainly know who it was last registered to.

That said, I've never heard a whisper of them actually doing so. I think it would be dreadful PR if they did. I don't see an upside for them, either. It is not legally up to them to protect copyright if they are not the publisher (and usually they're not). They're better off not knowing if you're infringing or not. It would be a dangerous precedent for them to set if they got involved being copyright snitch.
Alisa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:07 AM   #10
AthenaAtDelphi
"Gnothi Seauton"
AthenaAtDelphi doesn't litterAthenaAtDelphi doesn't litter

Device: Asus Eee 1000H, BeBook Mini, Kindle 3 WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRose View Post
I just did a factory reset on my kindle and I'm wondering if I should re-register it to amazon or not. (...) I'm just paranoid amazon is going to freak out over that and shut down my kindle or something lol.
Re-registering shouldn't be a problem .
Just be prepared for that knock on your door in the middle of the night .

AthenaAtDelphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:58 AM   #11
karunaji
Evangelist
karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Bookeen Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipA82 View Post
Just put yourself in the shoes of the author that you are stealing. Would you like that to happen to you.
It depends. Some authors encourage pirating of their books as widely as possible as a way of getting recognition. Some might even put them on torrent sites for others to download. Some are unsure but are not categorically against it. And of course, there will be others who see it as wrong. I guess that those authors who are already very popular and successful, see no need for pirating.
karunaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:41 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karunaji View Post
It depends. Some authors encourage pirating of their books as widely as possible as a way of getting recognition. Some might even put them on torrent sites for others to download. Some are unsure but are not categorically against it. And of course, there will be others who see it as wrong. I guess that those authors who are already very popular and successful, see no need for pirating.
But in most cases, the authors who actively encourage the "pirating" of some of their works, do so in the hopes that those who like what they read, will eventually purchase other works of theirs, no?

The OP implied that they rarely purchase books:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
I get most of my books through torrents so thats mainly why I'm asking.
I'm sure that doesn't fit in with the ideology of most authors—even the ones who actively advocate the "pirating" of some of their works.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:50 AM   #13
karunaji
Evangelist
karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Bookeen Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
But in most cases, the authors who actively encourage the "pirating" of some of their works, do so in the hopes that those who like what they read, will eventually purchase other works of theirs, no?
Not necessarily. The person who pirates the book but never buys it might create interest in others to buy the book through word of mouth etc.
karunaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:13 AM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by karunaji View Post
Not necessarily. The person who pirates the book but never buys it might create interest in others to buy the book through word of mouth etc.
I can accept that.

But I can also understand the need to keep the number of people with that particular "job description" at a minimum—or at least an acceptable quota. So I don't feel the general discouragement of such behavior will be particularly contrary to the goals of those who are just looking for new "word of mouth" readers.

In other words... I view "you probably shouldn't" as less potentially harmful to the industry than "Go for it, they expect you to anyway" could be if widely adopted.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:57 AM   #15
MyPreciousss
In search of the precious
MyPreciousss has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MyPreciousss has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MyPreciousss has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MyPreciousss has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, PSP Slim CFW, iTouch 1G, PocketViewer, Nokia 6270
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm sure that doesn't fit in with the ideology of most authors—even the ones who actively advocate the "pirating" of some of their works.
Paulo Coelho is famous. His books are regular bestsellers.
And he himself pirates his book under 'Pirate Coelho'
http://paulocoelhoblog.com/category/pirate-coelho/
MyPreciousss is offline   Reply With Quote