Notices

Old 02-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #1
couponchick
couponchick is on a distinguished road

Device: nookcolor
NookColor in short supply because of Hackers

... well at least according to this article

http://www.pcworld.com/article/21866...rt_supply.html

I'm a silent reader of these forums but I thought this was important to share. Feel free to do with it what you may. I'm not going to comment but I wanted to make sure you guys saw it.
couponchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:09 PM   #2
bookratt
Wizard
bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505 & PRS600, iPad, Pandigital Novel, iPad 2
Interesting article couponchick! How silly of B&N to worry about hackers of the Nook Color.... they should just be happy that their product is being bought!?!?!?
bookratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #3
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy S4, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookratt View Post
Interesting article couponchick! How silly of B&N to worry about hackers of the Nook Color.... they should just be happy that their product is being bought!?!?!?
Cnet should have done a better job of vetting this story. It is bogus.
rdfry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:32 PM   #4
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
I think they are just having supply problems. I have a couple on NCs on order for friends and they were on backorder when I first ordered them. The message from B&N then was "sorry we will ship the order when we can (about January the 28th)" then I got an email on January the 28th saying "sorry for reasons out of our control with the supplier, we will not be able to process this order till the 15th of Feb".

Sounds more like B&N expected sales to drop off after Christmas and didn't place enough on order with their supplier and sales have not dropped off as much as they expected. These things happen.

If they wanted to make major changes to the OS to stop hacking they would just do it in a software upgrade, and not cut their own sales. Remember, people will buy other readers if these are not available and B&N would not want to miss any sales. I bet the number of people rooting their NC is probably only 1 or 2 % of the total sales of the device. Don't use the type of person that hangs out on these forums as a guide on who is buying these things. Many owners would not even know about rooting.

But then people just love conspiracies .. so let me add my own... The CIA wants to place a tracking device in all NCs so they can then use the screen to control our minds for the alien takeover in 2012.
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:34 PM   #5
ivers
ivers doesn't litterivers doesn't litter

Device: nook wifi, ipod touch 4th gen
Agreed. There are more likely reasons B&N would have a two-week backorder and/or recall units to fix things vs these rapidly-spreading rumors that apparently originated from a blog that misspelled rooting as rotting.

Also, this is already being discussed here:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=119826
ivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:55 PM   #6
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Wow, irresponsible reporting at its best. B&N has not announced the exact reason for the recall, but many people are complaining about defective units, specifically the USB connector, so I'm guessing they are just recalling the defective batch. A PC World writer should pay more attention before publishing an article like an angry blogger with a mission.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:37 PM   #7
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandix View Post
If they wanted to make major changes to the OS to stop hacking they would just do it in a software upgrade, and not cut their own sales.
I dunno -- they could change the hardware boot priority so that boot from SD is not first (which would make the Nook more brickable -- it's basically not brickable at all right now). That might not be easy/safe to do via software update. If they do this, there will be a big secondary market for 1st edition Nookcolors with SD boot priority.

Since we have bootable SD OSs for the NC (meaning that people can run their stock, non-rooted Nook colors completely on external software, independent of any OS installed by BN) now, it is impossible for BN to stop hacking through software updates alone (they could, conceivably, limit access to BN resources (shop), but not use of the NC hardware itself).

Last edited by zartemis; 02-03-2011 at 11:41 PM.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:25 AM   #8
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcWorld Article
Barnes & Noble's NookColor e-reader is in short supply. The reason it has been flying off the shelves, however, may have less to do with its performance as a device for reading electronic books than its ability to be hacked into a full function tablet computer running Android.
I was under the impression that it wasn't a very good tablet when hacked....but still a phenomenal reader with some tablet like abilities.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:58 AM   #9
JTAL604622
Enthusiast
JTAL604622 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 900
I rooted mine the day i bought and never looked back...

the apps i run are fantastic and really added to the value of the tablet.

News apps like Pulse are great. I still bought a few books, but they are not making really any money on the purchase of the device and the markup on books is where they make money, similar to console devices.

I can see if they recalled to make a hardware change to the SD card first boot, it would make sense, it wont stop me since I am a nook developer and understand the inner workings but for 90% of the users it will stop them.

Not a bad move, they need to protect their bottom line.
JTAL604622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:05 AM   #10
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Who knows .l

Last edited by boswd; 02-04-2011 at 08:11 AM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:10 PM   #11
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Nexus 7 (2013). Wife:Kindle Paperwhite, ipad mini R
This is a duplicate of the other thread about shortages...

Real reason for the lack of NCs:

http://phandroid.com/2011/02/03/sour...g-not-hackers/
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote