Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-29-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
saugen48
saugen48 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Transfer ebooks from kindle pc to Kindle

In preparation for receiving my new kindle, I had downloaded Kindle for PC and got a couple of ebooks from the kindle site to play with..My basic Kindle has since arrived and I looked up the proceedure from txing kindle books from Kindle PC to the Kindle itself..When I transfer the books, and try to open on my kindle, I get this message "This item cannot be opened because it is licensed to a different user. Delete the item and download it from your Archived items or purchase a copy from the Kindle store"...The ebooks open fine on the PC version..

What is going on.....
I didnt use the wireless as I was having problems setting that up...not a very strong signal
saugen48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
orlok
Getting back into it
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kobo glo
Have to registered your Kindle on the Amazon "Manage Your Kindle" site? This should be automatic if you bought it from Amazon directly, but worth checking as it sounds like a registration issue. Maybe unregister and re-register it?
orlok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
chyron8472
Groupie
chyron8472 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitychyron8472 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitychyron8472 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitychyron8472 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitychyron8472 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitychyron8472 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitychyron8472 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitychyron8472 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitychyron8472 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitychyron8472 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitychyron8472 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kindle 2
How are you transferring the books? Are you going into the My Kindle Content Content folder (the folder where K4PC stores ebooks) and copying the files from there onto your Kindle? Are you importing the files from said folder to Calibre and then sending them from there to your Kindle? It sounds like you are. These methods won't work with DRM'd books.

It sounds like your Kindle is complaining that the DRM for the ebooks doesn't match up with the PID for that Kindle. What the error message is telling you to do (and what I suggest) is that, if the ebooks in question were bought from Amazon, you ought to redownload them from Amazon on to your Kindle.

This is possible in one of two ways:

First you can select the books in question from within the Archived Items section of your Kindle (you must have 3G or Wifi on for it to work) which will redownload them from Amazon to your Kindle for free.

Second, you can send it to your Kindle from your Amazon account on the web. In your Amazon account, in the section that says "Digital Content" click on the "Manage Your Kindle" option. On this page, there is a table which lists all of your Amazon ebooks. From here you can choose to upload your ebooks from Amazon to your Kindle (again, you must have 3g or wifi enabled) for free, or you can download the files to your computer and copy them via USB.

The fact that you can download them to your computer and copy them sounds redundant since you have them on K4PC, but it's not. If you do select the option to download them to your computer, Amazon will then ask you which device you're planning on transferring it to so it can tell the books DRM which device to associate with.

Last edited by chyron8472; 01-29-2011 at 11:16 AM.
chyron8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by saugen48 View Post
In preparation for receiving my new kindle, I had downloaded Kindle for PC and got a couple of ebooks from the kindle site to play with..My basic Kindle has since arrived and I looked up the proceedure from txing kindle books from Kindle PC to the Kindle itself..When I transfer the books, and try to open on my kindle, I get this message "This item cannot be opened because it is licensed to a different user. Delete the item and download it from your Archived items or purchase a copy from the Kindle store"...The ebooks open fine on the PC version..

What is going on.....
I didnt use the wireless as I was having problems setting that up...not a very strong signal
A Kindle book is encrypted for a particular device - in this case, your PC. You need to re-send the books from Amazon and select your Kindle as the destination for the books.
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
saugen48

That is odd as a couple of the book I downloaded to Kindle PC and transfered (Grimms Fairy tales) and another kids book both worked, but a couple of free full novels didnt...There were also a couple of "sneak peeks" of books I downloaded that worked as well on the PC and on the kindle to which I transfered them...It just two books that were free that I can seem to get to work on the kindle....My wireless system here at home is not working properly, thats why I havent registered the kindle yet or downloaded them directly to the kindle
Old 01-29-2011, 11:41 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, N7
It's not odd at all. If a book is DRM free, you will be able to directly transfer it from Kindle to PC to the Kindle, but if it has DRM you won't. All book samples are DRM free, as are many (but not all) of the free classics.
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:42 PM   #7
chyron8472
Groupie
chyron8472 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitychyron8472 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitychyron8472 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitychyron8472 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitychyron8472 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitychyron8472 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitychyron8472 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitychyron8472 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitychyron8472 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitychyron8472 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitychyron8472 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by saugen48 View Post
My wireless system here at home is not working properly, thats why I havent registered the kindle yet or downloaded them directly to the kindle

okay, umm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chyron8472 View Post
It sounds like your Kindle is complaining that the DRM for the ebooks doesn't match up with the PID for that Kindle. [...]

You can send it to your Kindle from your Amazon account on the web. In your Amazon account, in the section that says "Digital Content" click on the "Manage Your Kindle" option. On this page, there is a table which lists all of your Amazon ebooks. From here you can [...] download the files to your computer and copy them via USB.

The fact that you can download them to your computer and copy them sounds redundant since you have them on K4PC, but it's not. If you do select the option to download them to your computer, Amazon will then ask you which device you're planning on transferring it to so it can tell the books DRM which device to associate with.
The books that don't work on your Kindle are not working because the DRM on the ebooks needs to be changed by Amazon to accociate with your Kindle instead of K4PC.

----------------------

chyron8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:57 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Register your Kindle... otherwise you will only be able to read DRM free ebooks and samples on it. Once you register (with the same Amazon account your Kindle for PC is registered to) and synchronize, all of your previous purchases will be available via your archive (on the Kindle) or by going to your Amazon account page and resending to (or downloading for) your new Kindle.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:09 PM   #9
saugen48

OK, managed to work out the bug in the wireless system...got the Kindle registered and all is well...tks for all the help/assistance