Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-03-2012, 01:59 AM   #1
louwin
Newbie Nerd
louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3 64Gb Black
Yah! I got my iPad 3, now what? :)

Yeah, a nice black 64Gb New iPad....

Okay now a new series of questions

I went through the "Welcome" screen and confirmed my setting to Apple iPad.

Then I checked that Output was set to "epub".

Selected ONE "txt" book for simplicity(?)

Tried to "Send to Device" every which way I could - wouldn't!

With iTunes loaded on my Windows 7 64bit desktop....

With iTunes NOT loaded....

Sitting down, standing on my head....

Caliber wouldn't send to the iPad or the iPad wasn't accepting the "txt" eBook????

Talking to an Apple tech and he suggested ONLY iTunes can transfer files to an iPad so "Send to Device iPad" would never work!

Is he right?

So I decided to send by email....

Even though my output is set to "epub" it auto converted to "mobi". My iPad won't open the attachment.

I would prefer to "Send to Device" as I imagine it is/would be easier???? (if I can get it to work!)

What am I doing wrong? And what can I do to get it right?

Please use words pf one sylable as I am an absolute iPad newbie (and a Caliber newbie too)
louwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:42 AM   #2
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Wife: Touch, Arc, Vox Me: Nexus 7, Glo
Have you read through the sticky on Apple Devices? http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118559
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
louwin
Newbie Nerd
louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, I have printed out the sticky and will action it ASAP.

I don't think the sticky explains where emails are sending "mobi" files rather than "epub's" though, does it?

Old 06-03-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by louwin View Post
Thanks, I have printed out the sticky and will action it ASAP.

I don't think the sticky explains where emails are sending "mobi" files rather than "epub's" though, does it?

Preferences Sharing: email:
you set the allowed formats and format ORDER (first found allowed is sent)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #5
louwin
Newbie Nerd

Thanks Ducky,

Easy when you know how

I had set the Output Option but not the Sharing by email option

Old 06-04-2012, 08:06 AM   #6
louwin
Newbie Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I read and printed out this sticky. Applied it carefully 3 times and I can't get one "epub" book to "Send to device" or "Send to iTunes"

Maybe I am doing something wrong (3 times?) but in "Send to Device" most options are greyed out

Options to send to Main Memeory, card A and card B come to mind, I don't think these are relevent to iPad?

I got iTunes to directly transfer the EPUB file but I can't get Calibre/iTunes to to it together.

Transfering one book at a time through iTunes is one way to do things but could get tedious after a while.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:19 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by louwin View Post
I read and printed out this sticky. Applied it carefully 3 times and I can't get one "epub" book to "Send to device" or "Send to iTunes"
I don't have an iPad, but first things first. According to the sticky when your iPad is connected Send to device should not be an option, if it is go to Preferences - Plugins - Device interface plugins and disable the Apple plugin. Once you have disabled the plugin, restart calibre, reread the sticky and try the connect to iTunes method again.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:34 AM   #8
Stampercam
Connoisseur
Stampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to behold

Device: ipad, MiGear
Are you trying to send to your ipad as a device?

I use calibre and my ipad together all the time via itunes. You need to go to device - connect to itunes (I find this works best with the ipad NOT connected at the same time).

Once calibre is connected to itunes and you can see the empty "On Device" column, then click send to device - main memory and it should send the book to itunes where it will be waiting for you in the books area.

All this depends on itunes being set up according to the sticky and as dwanthny said, make sure to disable the Apple plugin.
Stampercam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:22 AM   #9
louwin
Newbie Nerd

Sorry for delay in replying - new grandson so the computer came second

I setup a new installation of Portable Calibre and setup Apple iPad as device.

Connected to iTunes (no iPad connected) and then sent to device. Calibre showed "Main" in first column.

Connected iPad and synced and there they were

Didn't do ANYTHING else. No disabling anything, no nutin....

Now to try and repeat with my desktop setup.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #10
Stampercam
Connoisseur
Stampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to behold

Device: ipad, MiGear
I'm glad it's working for you.
Stampercam is offline   Reply With Quote