Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 01-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
Care
Guru
Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.

Device: Nook Classic, NOOKcolor, Nook STR, Galaxy S Fascinate w/Aldiko
Bookmarking and other issues

Yesterday I bought a NC at B&N. So far I am having a hard time getting my computer to recognize it. I have to keep turning it off and then after about 3 or 4 tries it will finally recognize it. I did see a thread here about it, but I was wondering if I was missing a step somewhere. Is there something specific that you need to do before it gets picked up by your computer? I use windows, but that should not be a problem. It should work with any OS, IMHO.

Ok, so besides that, I seem to have a bookmarking issue. I have a Classic Nook and no matter how many books I open, it will always take me back to the last page read on a book. So far on my NOOKcolor it has only done it ONCE. I have been doing it just to see the outcome. About half the time it goes back to the cover and the other half it goes back to a previous page (which is at least closer to where I was). This is definitely unacceptable as sometimes I read a lot of books at once and I don't think I should have to bookmark it myself. Especially since sometimes I might just leave without thinking about it.

Is this normal for the NC?

I have not rooted it as I need to find or buy another (I always lend them out) sd card and I can't find my adapter to use in my computers reader. I will probably eventually, but for now I am just trying to figure it out.

Also, I live in Canada and I am going home today. So if I have to take it back I have to do it today as I am 4 hrs away.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:35 AM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Others (sold/gifted); iPad Air; Kindle PW2,HDX8.9; Kobo H20
Some with Windows machines have reported a similar problem. The only way to know if there's a problem with the device or cable is to try it on another computer. If you're pressed for time you could take it back to B&N, maybe they have a computer they can try it on.

Also, try another USB port.

Maybe someone else can address the bookmark issue. I haven't used the stock reader recently.

Last edited by SCION; 01-24-2011 at 11:39 AM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 01-24-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
Care
Guru
Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Some with Windows machines have reported a similar problem. The only way to know if there's a problem with the device or cable is to try it on another computer. If you're pressed for time you could take it back to B&N, maybe they have a computer they can try it on.

Also, try another USB port.
I tried all 4 of my usb ports and I used a windows Vista and 7. I seem to be getting it to work the past few tries though, so maybe that problem solved itself.

Anybody know about the bookmarking? I really can't live without that. I just manually set a bookmark and I went into my settings, then tried to tap the little book to go back to my page (I assume that is a shortcut to get back to your last read book) and it took me to the NC User Guide, which was not what I was reading last. Does it matter if the books are side loaded or not? 80% or more of my library is sideloaded content. This might be a deal breaker for me.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Plug the device into a wall outlet. The screen should be fully functional. If it isn't, then return the device.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:48 AM   #5
Care
Guru

Quote:
Plug the device into a wall outlet. The screen should be fully functional. If it isn't, then return the device.
Thanks. It does work when plugged into the wall.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:48 AM   #6
SCION
Séduisant

You shouldn't have to manually set a bookmark. When I've used the stock reader I just "left" what I was reading. I returned to it using the "continue reading" icon. It returned to what I was reading (last page read). If the icon didn't work, selecting the book again did.

Try rebooting. Sometimes you just have to.

Edit: Most of my content is sideloaded. The only things that aren't are the B&N freebies.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:52 AM   #7
Care
Guru

Quote:
You shouldn't have to manually set a bookmark. When I've used the stock reader I just "left" what I was reading. I returned to it using the "continue reading" icon. It returned to what I was reading (last page read). If the icon didn't work, selecting the book again did.

Try rebooting. Sometimes you just have to.

Edit: Most of my content is sideloaded. The only things that aren't are the B&N freebies.
I just rebooted (I ignored the turn off and kept and kept holding till it went off, not sure if I should do something different) and when I turned on and went to last page read it went to the frakking cover. Right book, wrong page. Grrrr....
Old 01-24-2011, 12:02 PM   #8
SCION
Séduisant

OK, I enabled the stock reader (disabled by renaming reader.apk to reader.bak). I switched between two books to see if the bookmark held. Initially it did, but after the third try one book returned to the cover.

I do recall that a handful of people mentioned that sometimes the book opens to the cover, not the last page read. I would say you're not alone with this every now and then fluke. I guess we could assume it will be corrected with an update. It's up to you if you want to keep the NOOKcolor or purchase something else.

If your intent is to root anyway and use an ereader app, perhaps you can overlook this. You said you wanted to make use of your calibre tags. You won't be able to do that with the stock library.

Last edited by SCION; 01-24-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:09 PM   #9
PegS
Connoisseur
PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NOOKcolor
Hm. I've never had this problem, before or after rooting. (whew!) I'd be tempted to just exchange it, if I were you.
PegS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:10 PM   #10
Care
Guru

Thanks Scion. I figure I will root eventually. I was thinking of waiting until the update and just see what other people think of it. But I know myself and I probably won't wait that long, lol. I will probably just buy a new card and reader and try it out.

I have never used the other reader apps, so I was thinking I would use the B&N one even after rooting. I do miss my tags though. I have been adding shelves, so it's not too bad. Just slow going. But I am doing only 20 books at a time because I find I have to mess with 30% of them to get them to show covers and some still won't even after doing the convert to mobi and back to epub thing. This will take me forever.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:12 PM   #11
Care
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegS View Post
Hm. I've never had this problem, before or after rooting. (whew!) I'd be tempted to just exchange it, if I were you.
Really? And you use the B&N reader after rooting? I don't have a car right now, maybe I will call the store. I have to say though, the employees don't seem to know half of what I do and I am not even very technically inclined.

Oh, mine is 1.0.0, should I download the 1.1? I don't have wifi here, but I did use the B&N wifi to register and download my B&N library. Shouldn't it have updated?
Old 01-24-2011, 12:14 PM   #12
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegS View Post
I agree. Exchange it, but be certain to try out the replacement before returning home. Some have reported a problem with the sound. Upon waking the device the sound is gone. This appears to have been a common problem. Maybe it was the early batches that were released.

You can do the update manually using a computer. There's no way to force it to update via wifi.

Last edited by SCION; 01-24-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:18 PM   #13
Care
Guru

It seems to just be side loaded books so far. But those are most of my books...

Ok, so I can get it to work for BN books, but I sometimes can't use the last page read with either sideloaded or BN books unless I get to the home page first. But occasionally I can. WTF? Of course I have to get a lemon, lol. I have to make sure this thing works before I leave and I have family to visit.

Last edited by Care; 01-24-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:20 PM   #14
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
It seems to just be side loaded books so far. But those are most of my books...
OK, the books I tried are sideloaded ones as well. Don't know what to say about that.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:03 PM   #15
Care
Guru

So customer service at the 800 # say it is a known glitch with the NC and there is nothing they can do but have me return it. Exchanging it won't help. With the Bookmarks. I seem to be having no problems with my computer recognizing it now.

So for the apps after you root, do they have different font and background colour options? And it there a last book (or page) reading symbol or button? I like how on the homepage it lists the last books read, but again, it goes to my cover. And, when I go to content the bookmark I manually placed is not there. Now I can get the bookmark to show up if I go to my library and get the book from there.

I am sorry for all the questions, but I want to know what to expect so I know if I should keep it.