Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 11:32 PM   #16
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
I already have an Aluratek Libre Pro and a jetBook. I now wanted to check out the Android environment without having to buy a new phone.

When I first went out looking at what was available locally (I'm in Canada) I checked out the Samsung Galaxy until I found out what the price was. The 7" basic unit (I assume there may be other modles) was more than the Basic iPad.

iPad is nice but too proprietary for me (as well as costly). I researched the Apad and ePad but again - no local supplier and reports varied on their stability and quality.

I noticed the Pandigital 7" Color reader at BBB and the price was more to my liking for an entry experimental unit. There was even a $30 rebate bring the price down to $169. I played around with the display model for approx 15-20 minutes and decided to take the plunge. The Kobo reader worked as well as expected. The Internet browser IMO is great and it can play movies and mp3's. After reading here at Mobileread that the white PDN was hackable I looked into finding one locally. Forget that we are stuck with the Black one. As it turns out I managed to get the FW upgrade from Pandigital that opens it up. Yes it's still a 1.5 with 2 gigs of ram and it wont run some of the other top readers I was looking at trying out such as Kindle but the Kobo reader works great and Net access is very good, the screen is responsive enough for my taste and I have found a few apps that work.

RepliGo reader is a fantastic PDF handler and I have a version of Doc to Go that works as well. So not all is lost.

So main the main reasons are cost, locally purchased and functionality.

I may try to find some place that is willing to ship a white PDN to Canada so I can experience And 2.0-2.1. But that usually adds $25 - $35 extra.

John

Last edited by jlg432; 01-27-2011 at 11:35 PM.
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:17 AM   #17
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
i wanted to be able to import books from any computer without itunes or having to set up a webserver to dl my books.

i prefer backlit readers as i read mostly at night, so e-ink readers really weren't an option. and no, an addon light is not an answer i was willing to accept.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:05 AM   #18
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Buy besides typing, you really found the Pandigital screen better than iPad? For instance, when using the interface or Operating System, like moving between virtual desktops, opening programs, zooming, etc?
No, I'm just saying that the multi-touch capacitive screen would just be lost on me. I would be one of the few iPad users sitting around navigating through the apps with the $20.00 stylus designed to work with the capacitive screen.

I find it way easier to operate as if I am holding a writing pad and pen. Even though the iPad does very well at determining what you "meant" to press, I still find myself backing up and re-doing commands.

Although, I will admit that if I was using the iPad constantly as my main tablet, I might get better at it.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote