Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
Anthem
Evangelist
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (7th gen.), Kindle (5-button), Kindle Fire HDX 7"
Ergonomics and the e-book Reader

It occurs to me now that most of these e-reading machines are pretty much just rectangles with varying levels of understanding of the human hand. For instance, the insane thinness of a lot of these machines is starting to look like a bad thing to me because the way I end up having to hold them is so patently artificial that my hands get all weird. I'm a big gripper. I like to get my hands all over my books and really get a good hold on them and to frequently change my hand positions to avoid stiffness. I really can't do any of that with my e-book reading devices and I'm beginning to get very aggravated.

The thinness is beautiful but it is causing me cramps.

The hard plastics and metals are nice (and cheap!) but they result in the strangest points of pressure and discomfort in my hands.

The lightness is great but it is eclipsed by other basic issues.

And so, I am wondering if anyone else has any issues with the ergonomics of these machines? I'm getting the impression that the engineers understand very little hand biology.

Love everything the manufacturers are doing? Hate the trends? Want change? Let us know.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
mikeayers
Zealot
mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle-3
I guess my biggest ergonomic issue with my Kindle is whenever I shift it in my hands or pick it up or put it down, I seem to hit the next page or the previous page. They are in the right place when I am reading but they get hit at other times way to often.
mikeayers is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 01-21-2011, 02:45 PM   #3
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone 4S
Sounds like someone needs to go case shopping for their beloved ereader I know my case for my iPad made a big difference in comfort.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
Anthem
Evangelist
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (7th gen.), Kindle (5-button), Kindle Fire HDX 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Sounds like someone needs to go case shopping for their beloved ereader I know my case for my iPad made a big difference in comfort.
Lee, perhaps you are correct.

I have two cases for my Kobo. One is a sleeve by Roots so it makes no difference to the comfort (although it is buttery leather and feels sooooo good to just squish in your hands!). The other case is a firm bi-fold case by ex-point and I may experiment with this to see if it will help me. The bi-fold case would also bulk up the Kobo and this could be a great thing!

(Unfortunately, the case is PINK. But I am secure in my sexuality so all I'll really have to deal with is getting beaten up behind the jungle-gym and that's no bigee.)

The irony of reversing many of the design decisions made concerning the device itself through the addition of value adding cases must surely occur to more people than me alone...

Last edited by Anthem; 01-21-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:51 PM   #5
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I figure device makers should make devices as light as possible, then consumers can customize with cases for better grip, tougher protection and such, according to their preferences. It's not possible for any device maker to produce a device that can suit all consumers' ergonomic needs.

The more popular your device, the wider the selection of cases, of course.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:01 PM   #6
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone 4S
Take a hard back book who's size and comfort you like. Cut out a Kobo sized hole in the pages of the book. Insert kobo. Enjoy.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:24 PM   #7
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Take a hard back book who's size and comfort you like. Cut out a Kobo sized hole in the pages of the book. Insert kobo. Enjoy.

Lee
Saw someone on the bus yesterday who had done something like this with their Kindle and a hardback sprial bound notebook - they'd then covered the notebook with some wrapping paper too to customise it.
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:56 PM   #8
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
when they were getting ready to release the K3 and talking about how much thinner it was to be I speculated here if there may not be a too thin point. the K1 actually obvious ergonomic considerations; one side was slightly fatter than the other, much like a pbook is obviously thicker closer to the binding and made for a more comfortable hand experience. the corners were a little sharp which could dig into your palm, but the K2 and beyond has rounded them. unfortunately the K1 was so roundly ridiculed for being ugly that they quickly left that concept. additionally the back of it was rubberized and textured which made for a much more secure hold
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:07 PM   #9
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
the insane thinness of a lot of these machines is starting to look like a bad thing to me because the way I end up having to hold them is so patently artificial that my hands get all weird. I'm a big gripper. I like to get my hands all over my books and really get a good hold on them and to frequently change my hand positions to avoid stiffness. I really can't do any of that with my e-book reading devices and I'm beginning to get very aggravated.
I hear ya. I would never use my Kindle without a cover for this reason. To me it feels like holding a Gameboy or a calculator. I can't really hold that against the designers, because the form factor of the ereader allows me to add the additional physical properties with a cover that suits my taste. Yes it adds cost, but it puts the decision in my hands, not theirs, and not all covers are alike. Also a lot of people very much prefer the Kindle on its own, so our preference is not universal.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:12 PM   #10
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
i really enjoy the ergonomics of the nook eink version, it had this slight concave on both sides so if your were holding it two handed it fit nice and snug around your fingers, and if holding it one handed it fell snug into your upper palm. couple that with the rubberized back and it's was really great to hold. Very well thought out device.

But of course once you buy a cover it's ergonomics goes out the window.

Last edited by boswd; 01-21-2011 at 05:35 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:17 PM   #11
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I really like the feel of the K1 (Tavar).

I miss that element with the DXG and the K2's and K3's I have held. I got a cover for Tavar because I wanted the protection. I got a cover for Octavian (DXG) because I wanted the protection and it was not as comfortable to hold naked. If I ever get a K3, I will get a cover for the same reason.

The ergonomics go beyond the weight of the device. I liked that on the K1 the keyboard locked itself when you were reading so that you could hold it by the keyboard. That does not seem to work with the DXG.

I liked having the buttons on both sides on the device on my K1. This is not an option on the DXG. I can rotate my DXG so that the buttons are on the left and that works great. Strangly enough I like having the keyboard on the top because the DXG feels better balanced that way. I am weird, I know.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:35 PM   #12
mollybo
Connoisseur
mollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with others

Device: Rocket eBook, Gemstar, and Kindle 3
You know what had excellent ergonomics? The Rocket eBook. It was weighted and curved to fit into your hand, with the page turn button right under my thumb, and you could switch the buttons if you chose. You could also rotate the display if you wanted to switch hands. I wonder how hard it would be to take the guts out and stuff an eink display in one ...
mollybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:00 PM   #13
Purple Lady
Wizard
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 LTE, Nexus 7 3g, Sony PRS-950, K3 3G, Nexus 5, Boyue T62
I actually injured my thumb with the boox! It takes a lot of pressure to push the page turn, back, and menu buttons - they're not actually buttons, but I don't know what else to call them. That combined with my phone overuse now causes my thumb to crack painfully every five minutes or so. I started using the pen for everything, but my thumb was in such bad shape it hurt to hold the pen too. I just got a Sony PRS 950 and so far it's much better. The buttons only have to be pushed lightly and I can use my finger with the touch screen.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:36 PM   #14
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I prefer holding my Nook to my Kindle3. I have problems with hitting buttons, keys & the page turn on the Kindle even with a cover on. And I do not have large hands. I do find my hands tire faster with the Kindle. BUT I do like the lightness of the Kindle. The Nook is a bit heavier for sure.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:05 PM   #15
Sydney's Mom
I Bleed Cubby Blue
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Fire HDX , IPad and Samsung Tab 2
I love holding my K3 (no cover). I have had all 3 versions of the kindle, and this is my favorite. I like being able to change from right hand to left. I was having a procedure done today, which took 2 hours. The whole time, I was reading my kindle. I switched from hand to hand, but was very comfortable. I couldn't read a paperback with one hand. Just seems perfect, to me.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ergonomics