Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-20-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.
 
Posts: 4,004
Karma: 177841
Join Date: Dec 2009
Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Tegan: re already downloaded feed items

Tegan,

I'm going to reply here to try to keep the sticky code thread clean. You'd be better off starting a new thread when you have questions about specific sticky code items. Otherwise the sticky thread will fill with discussion that lends very little to its purpose of making it easy to look through the sticky code.

You probably will need to modify the code for the "skip already downloaded feed items" if you want to apply it to one of my comics recipes. My comics recipes usually pull the "current" comic and the previous day's strip, then the one before that, etc. Thus, the link for "today's" strip is always the same, even though the strip you get from that URL changes. The link for yesterday's strip is usually also unchanged. IIRC, the code for the "skip already downloaded feed items" looks at the URL. Since the URL in at least some of my comics recipes never changes, while the comic you get does change, I suspect that code will not work directly.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:00 PM   #2
Tegan
Connoisseur
Tegan began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 59
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jan 2011
Device: Kindle 1st Gen, Kindle 3 SO
Ah. I wasn't sure of the etiquette. Although I figured that I couldn't get it to work at all might mean there is a problem on it on Windows? Don't know. I probably just messed it up... I'll try again now that I have more time. Should I delete my note on the other thread, or will that not help?

I'm afraid that modifying the code to make it work with your recipes is probably beyond my current skills. I'm messing up on simple syntax, I don't think I can work out how to get your recipes to not download previously downloaded strips. Or to pay attention to the dates. Now that I've got the rotation thing fixed (thanks again!) getting those recipes to stop downloading repeats would be the only other change to make them perfect, as opposed to incredibly awesome.

Right, time to see if I can get the skip already downloaded code to work on a different recipe.
Tegan is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Advertisement
Old 01-20-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.
 
Posts: 4,004
Karma: 177841
Join Date: Dec 2009
Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegan View Post
Ah. I wasn't sure of the etiquette.
No problem - I'd just like to make it as easy as possible to scroll through that thread for useful code bits.
Quote:
I'm afraid that modifying the code to make it work with your recipes is probably beyond my current skills. I'm messing up on simple syntax, I don't think I can work out how to get your recipes to not download previously downloaded strips. Or to pay attention to the dates. Now that I've got the rotation thing fixed (thanks again!) getting those recipes to stop downloading repeats would be the only other change to make them perfect, as opposed to incredibly awesome.
I'm not a fan of the "don't download again" code options and don't use them. I wrote one a long time ago, but didn't like the way d/l errors would cause things not to get picked up, or where I had to send every copy of the recipe ebook to my device and read them all. I don't think you'd like this skip function for comics as much as you think you will. To read a week of a single strip would require you to download 7 different ebooks and open every one as you'll only get one strip in each ebook.
Quote:
Right, time to see if I can get the skip already downloaded code to work on a different recipe.
For other recipes, where the articles aren't in any sequence and don't relate to one another, it's better, if you don't mind having to keep multiple copies around. I like just grabbing the current one and skipping to the last article read.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
Tegan
Connoisseur
Tegan began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 59
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jan 2011
Device: Kindle 1st Gen, Kindle 3 SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
I'm not a fan of the "don't download again" code options and don't use them. I wrote one a long time ago, but didn't like the way d/l errors would cause things not to get picked up, or where I had to send every copy of the recipe ebook to my device and read them all. I don't think you'd like this skip function for comics as much as you think you will. To read a week of a single strip would require you to download 7 different ebooks and open every one as you'll only get one strip in each ebook.
Really, it's mostly the political cartoons that bug me. They aren't daily, so I keep getting strips from months back, and the same ones showing up over and over ... well, it gets old after I've hit it for the third or fourth time. So I think maybe figuring out how to pull a date out and then restricting the date to a reasonable length of time might be the better solution. Again, that's still beyond my abilities.

I got the script to sort of work on my Yakima Valley newspaper article. I'm going to play a little more with it and see if it's something I like or not. Mostly I was concerned that I couldn't get it to work at all. It's not something I'd want in a standard recipe, but there are a couple of recipes it might be useful for, if I can figure out how to put it in.
Tegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:07 PM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.
 
Posts: 4,004
Karma: 177841
Join Date: Dec 2009
Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegan View Post
Really, it's mostly the political cartoons that bug me. They aren't daily, so I keep getting strips from months back, and the same ones showing up over and over ... well, it gets old after I've hit it for the third or fourth time. So I think maybe figuring out how to pull a date out and then restricting the date to a reasonable length of time might be the better solution. Again, that's still beyond my abilities.

I got the script to sort of work on my Yakima Valley newspaper article. I'm going to play a little more with it and see if it's something I like or not. Mostly I was concerned that I couldn't get it to work at all. It's not something I'd want in a standard recipe, but there are a couple of recipes it might be useful for, if I can figure out how to put it in.
You might want to take a look at gocomics. It's already pulled the date in strip_url_date. You could compare that date to the current date and return None for get_article_url when it's too old. That would skip the article.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to remove already pulled feed items? MarcDK Calibre 2 11-12-2010 10:30 AM
Keep only newest news feed downloaded? TonytheBookworm Calibre 10 10-23-2010 08:13 PM
Sent Items (0) Adjust Feedback 4 09-10-2010 06:55 PM
K1 (v1.2): downloaded items (Whispernet) don't show up until a restart is performed texasnightowl Amazon Kindle 4 05-01-2009 06:21 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:41 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.