Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-19-2011, 07:21 PM   #1
BMaloney
Connoisseur
BMaloney doesn't litterBMaloney doesn't litter

Device: PRS-650
Unwanted feature: automatic power-up

Hello all. I would like to mention a feature of my Sony PRS-650 and see if anyone else has noticed it and found it as irritating as I have. Perhaps there is a way to turn it off?

I am referring to the fact that the reader automatically powers up (that is: it turns itself on) whenever I unplug it from the computer. If I am not ready to use it then and there, I must wait for it to load and then turn it off again.

I realize that this adds up to only about a minute or so (perhaps less), but it seems like an unnecessary function and I thought maybe - hopefully - someone might know how to turn it off.

Thank you very much for your time, everyone.
BMaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:23 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
I don't know of any way to turn it off but it is actually a feature... after transferring books onto the reader, when it powers up, it indexes its contents so that it's ready to read and also this shows that the files and memory are OK... if it was disabled then I think most people would be rather tee'd off when away from their computer, to turn the reader on and have to wait for the indexing as well as being really annoyed if it failed to power up properly due to a problem file...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:49 PM   #3
BMaloney
Connoisseur

Thanks elcreative. If we can't change it, what can we do?

Well, we could keep talking about it anyway...

You say there are two reasons why the reader powers up like that. First, it needs to index the new content. Second, the user needs a chance to make sure the transfer went ok. Right?

For the first, I am not tech-savvy, but is this kind of indexing typical in devices? You say that the user would get impatient waiting for the indexing later, but the PRS-650 doesn't exactly "turn on" like a light switch in the first place. It makes you wait several long seconds while it loads - every time. How is the wait when it turns on every time any different from the length of time it turns on after transfer?

Second, doesn't the computer application Library Reader confirm a successful transfer ("transfer completed") while the reader is still plugged in?

Thanks for the interest!
Old 01-19-2011, 09:33 PM   #4
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not all devices index in the way a Sony does... it's a "feature" that works fine for reasonable quantities of books but it indexes the whole damn contents every time you add a book... even one book... the indexing time is proportional to the number of books on the reader... haven't checked on later devices but on the 505 it's proportional the square of the quantity increase. These aren't real figures just examples but say it takes 10 mins to index a 1000 books then it'd take 100 to index 2000 (actual figures much better than that but you get the idea). The transfer simply confirms the files have been moved over but says nothing as to validity... the start index doesn't do much more but will fall over at the most obvious glitches (very rare, I'm not trying to worry you).
Old 01-20-2011, 11:31 PM   #5
BMaloney
Connoisseur

Sorry for taking so long to get back, elcreative.

I find it interesting to discuss these "features" which are conscious design decisions. I like to ask who the design feature is for.

In this case, it seems that it is more for the machine than for me. The device turns itself on because it needs to index. I am forced to deal with that (wait, turn it off). You could say that it is also for me, but that is secondary: at most it is for my convenience that it happen now. Yeah, I'd be pissed if I went on my trip and found - too late - that the file won't open on the reader. But taking that risk would be my choice. And even if the file didn't open, there still might be others that do. In contrast, if the machine doesn't index, it just won't work - period.

So the machine chooses when to index. I am forced to wait. I feel so demeaned!

Couldn't I open the file with the Reader Library - choosing the copy that is on the reader? Does Library open what is on the reader without indexing?
Old 01-20-2011, 11:40 PM   #6
elcreative
Wizard

Wouldn't make any difference... the indexing process creates a file on the reader... and it requires that file... there was a note in a thread sometime ago about creating/modifying the file manually but that's even more time intensive.

Personally I'm just waiting for Kartu to update PRS+ for the 650 then my firmware etc. gets modded immediately... lets you turn of card scanning and browse by file/folder like I do on my 505 and 600...
Old 01-21-2011, 05:16 PM   #7
BMaloney
Connoisseur

It took me a while to Google everything you said, elcreative. Thanks to your comment, I now know about the existence of PRS+. (It would have helped if you had mentioned Kartu is a person!) I really like the idea of being able to turn off the card scanning. If you insert a memory card with, for example, 1GB of books, the content menu is simply unusable (too crowded).
Old 01-21-2011, 06:00 PM   #8
elcreative
Wizard

Sorry, should also have said look in Sony Dev forum here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMaloney View Post
It took me a while to Google everything you said, elcreative. Thanks to your comment, I now know about the existence of PRS+. (It would have helped if you had mentioned Kartu is a person!) I really like the idea of being able to turn off the card scanning. If you insert a memory card with, for example, 1GB of books, the content menu is simply unusable (too crowded).
Old 01-21-2011, 06:38 PM   #9
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PRS-650, iPhone 4, iPad 4
Hmm, if I had my choice I'd agree with the OP. I'd prefer it to unplug and stay 'off.' Not a huge deal since I usually put it in a case and it'll auto-sleep if left alone for a few minutes.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:59 PM   #10
BMaloney
Connoisseur

No problem, elcreative. it's all part of the learning curve!

I agree with Penforhire: the auto turn-on really isn't a big deal. But I do wonder about unnecessary battery use. And that 0.01% chance of accidentally deleting something always exists.

Plus that added factor of me being in a hurry, so I try to shut it off quickly, but I don't hold the button long enough, so it goes into sleep mode anyway, which means I have to turn it back on and try again, losing more time...

Like I said above: a minor inconvenience, but one that is (ultimately) based in a design choice.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:01 AM   #11
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
And there is no reason to the turn the reader OFF, betwen uses. Just put it to sleep. Yes, it uses a bit more power, but not that much more.

And it comes awake in a few seconds.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:21 PM   #12
catsknit
Zealot
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Sony PRS650, Nook HD
Yeah, I was wondering why the OP wants to shut it down completely. I've had my 650 since Christmas and I have read on it almost every day and have never once shut it down; I just let it go to sleep when I'm done, and I don't think my battery has ever been below 2 bars (b/c I usually connect it to the computer at least 2x a week for adding books, etc.) I love that it starts up so quickly from sleep mode.
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:51 PM   #13
BMaloney
Connoisseur

Hi all. It's been three days since my last post, and in that time I have come to learn what Pinecone and catsknit seem to have figured out a while ago: it seems the Sony is designed to never be fully turned off.

I have not turned mine off since I was last here - putting it to the test, if you will. I left it sleeping over night. I used it constantly during the day. When I needed to plug in the USB for more files (love the news function! ) I did it quickly, to charge the battery as little as possible. In all that time the battery indicator has not even gone down one notch.

And, like others have said, it just pops back on from sleep mode.

I've come around 180 degrees here. I don't think I'll ever turn it off (or very rarely). Unless anyone can tell me why I should?