Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-22-2010, 01:47 PM   #1
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
Maximum number of books?

I had thought this would be in the FAQ but I don't see it...apologies if it is there and I just missed it.

My question: Is there a limit as to how many books can be in the Calibre library? Is there a file size limit that applies to the library?

It's awfully easy to get a large library if you have several versions of the books, so I just wondered if I'd eventually hit some size limit.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
As far as I kbnow there is no built in limit. The largest library I have heard of people already having is around 30K books which is quite a large library. I personally currently have about 9K books in a wide variety of formats (averaging around 4 formats per book) - total size is around 14GB.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 04-22-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There are no limits. All that will happen as your library size grows is performance for searching/sort will decrease.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:49 PM   #4
al35
Enthusiast
al35 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
The only limit I run into is the size of individual book. I got a memory error message when trying to add a very large audio book (~2Gb).
al35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:32 AM   #5
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
As far as I kbnow there is no built in limit. The largest library I have heard of people already having is around 30K books which is quite a large library. I personally currently have about 9K books in a wide variety of formats (averaging around 4 formats per book) - total size is around 14GB.
Yep. Just imported 31222 books, total size 11GB. That took a day (literally; it took almost 24 hours), but version 0.6.49 now starts up in 1,5 minutes and searches take < 2 sec.

The older versions were completely unusable on this machine (1.5GB RAM, 1,66GHz Core2Duo T5500) with only ~20K books in them (last time I tried). Startup took more than 20 minutes and searches took minutes. This with a DB created with a humongous batchfile of 'calibredb add'-commands, as importing through the GUI...welll

Great job, Kovid!
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:15 AM   #6
osirisomeomi
osirisomeomi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Agreed, it's snappier.
osirisomeomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:56 PM   #7
relder
relder began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'm running into an issue where my library is 11354 ebooks, and I receive a notification that the application has stopped responding while importing. Is there a trick to the import process?
relder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:26 PM   #8
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by relder View Post
I'm running into an issue where my library is 11354 ebooks, and I receive a notification that the application has stopped responding while importing. Is there a trick to the import process?
That may mean the child (of the import) process took longer that Windows thinks it should , Wait it out (at least a equal amount of time to that befor the message) and see if it recovers (usually does).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote