Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-18-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
RealAct
RealAct began at the beginning.

Device: Nook & Kindle
Question about the screen saver.

Hello everyone;

Is it possible to have one of the screensavers set as the only one that comes up when the device is locked or idle?

I hate some of the writers pictures, I rather stay with one of the other graphics or better yet one of my own.
-Eli
RealAct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
CrayWolf
Enthusiast
CrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with others

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealAct View Post
Hello everyone;

Is it possible to have one of the screensavers set as the only one that comes up when the device is locked or idle?

I hate some of the writers pictures, I rather stay with one of the other graphics or better yet one of my own.
-Eli
You'll need to install the Jailbreak and Screensaver hacks, and then put only one graphic (or only the ones you want) in the screensaver folder. It's actually really easy, all the info is in this thread:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88004
CrayWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrayWolf View Post
You'll need to install the Jailbreak and Screensaver hacks, and then put only one graphic (or only the ones you want) in the screensaver folder. It's actually really easy, all the info is in this thread:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88004
thanks for jumping in there with the answer Craywolf! karma to you and welcome to the forums!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
CrayWolf
Enthusiast
CrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with others

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
thanks for jumping in there with the answer Craywolf! karma to you and welcome to the forums!
Whoo! Thanks for the karma and the welcome. I'll get around to making a proper introduction thread one of these days.
CrayWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
weirdjack
weirdjack began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
What CrayWolf said!
Like you, I was sick of those dead author slides within an hour. Took no time at all to follow the instructions, download jailbreak and do the minor hacks (which sounds scary, but IS NOT).
I loaded in a bunch of my favorite science fiction book covers...like some of the classic Frazetta artwork on some of the Edger Rice Burroughs paperback covers...and some old Heinlein, AE Van Vogt, etc paperback covers.
It is really easy. Thanks to all here who have supplied the instructions and programs.
One would think Amazon would have made this part of the Kindle options to begin with.

BTW: My wife bought me a Kindle for Christmas 2010....I've read 11 books so far on it. Currently finishing the Into The Looking Glass series (almost done with book 4 'Claws That Catch'). What did I do before I had a Kindle?

Last edited by weirdjack; 01-18-2011 at 01:57 PM.
weirdjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:46 PM   #6
froggie731
Enthusiast
froggie731 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have been wanting to DL the jailbreak for some time, but I was always afraid to do it. Maybe I'll finally get to it using the info in that link, thanks!

Does it affect any future updates or anything?
froggie731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #7
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
The jailbreak itself doesn't but you need to check with the other modifications you make. Some of them need to be removed before doing updates as the update will refuse to apply if you don't.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:54 PM   #8
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle DXG
I have found that drawings from patents, the weirder the better, make really good screensavers. Its easy:

1) DL a weird patent in pdf format from one of the several web sites that host patents.
2) open the pdf file and display the image you find interesting.
3) Hit ctrl+Prt Sc to copy the screen to the clipboard
4) paste the clipboard into a blank image file in a photoeditor like irfanview
5) crop the image and scale it as req'd/desired
6) save the image as .jpg

Scanned portraits of dead presidents copied from money also works well.

Cheers!
Mark Rehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:40 PM   #9
RealAct

Thanks all, It's a shame Amazon has not officially make this a feature, I might give the hack a try.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:41 PM   #10
RealAct

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipA82 View Post
Do it! It was the first hack that I tried. Really easy and nice hack.

Cheers,
Thanks! yes I did it, very nice indeed, my only concern now is whenever there's an official update available, will it remove the jailbreak? or do I need to uninstall the jailbreak and background hacks before updating to any future official firmware?
Old 01-26-2011, 08:29 PM   #11
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
So far, repeating, SO FAR, neither will interfere with the other. Hack and upgrade or upgrade and hack.

Although out Master Hacker has not been seen in the Developer's subforum in a while now. Hope that hacker is okay.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote