Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
sherbearjt08
Connoisseur
sherbearjt08 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
350 or 650? Which one is better?

I'm going to upgrade my 300 because I want more storage space, so I have it listed on Craiglist. Now I can't decide which one I want? I don't listen to music when I read or audio books, so I guess the biggest difference is the size of the screen. I love my 300, so the 350 should be the best unless there is something I am missing.
sherbearjt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
The 650 also takes SDCards. So there are three major differences:

Screen size
Audio
SDCardslot
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:03 PM   #3
edbro
Warthog Driver
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Size is the biggest difference. I like the bigger screen of the 650 and still find the reader small enough to easily stow away.

I think the only other difference is the 650 has expandable memory through SD cards. Of course, with 2GB internal, that's not so much of a factor.

Edit: Oops, Poppaea and I were typing at the same time.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650
I had read that the 350 has a sharper character display.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #5
edbro
Warthog Driver
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I had read that the 350 has a sharper character display.
Same resolution but on a smaller display. Same effect as watching a Youtube video full screen vs native size. That's an exaggeration but same principle.
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...15&postcount=2
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:19 PM   #6
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650
I read most 650 books at medium; occasionally, I darken the background to get better contrast. I'd almost be tempted to get a 950, to read in landscape split screen mode.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #7
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
I have a 505 and a 350. Whenever I leave the house I take the 350 because of it's small size. At home I read the 505 because of it's larger size.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:14 PM   #8
ShaneR
Enthusiast
ShaneR began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650; PW2
I read the 650 on the small font setting and have no issues with contrast or sharpness of the font. Mind you, I haven't actually seen a 350 in operation, but I can't help but think a little too much is being made of the increased sharpness of the 350 over the 650. Yes, I'm sure there is a difference, but does it really matter when you're READING and not scrutinizing the technology? I doubt it

The same thing happens to me with my photography. I'll agonize and create various versions via different processing methods, but when I step back and just LOOK at the image, the details I laboured over fade to the background and all the versions look pretty much the same.

I took a few paper books and read them. Then, I read on the 650. After that, I compared side-by-side. Verdict? If you can handle reading any given paper book, the 350 or 650 ain't gonna be a problem as far as sharpness and contrast is concerned.

As for which is better, that's going to come down to the features you need, or think you want. All I can say is that I'm thrilled with the 650 and would purchase another in an instant.
ShaneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:27 PM   #9
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
The 650 is just over 2 ounces heavier. Not that 7.58 oz is heavy... but there are times I wouldn't mind having a slightly smaller, lighter reader than my 650.

edit: Just realized I have a 600, not a 650. My 600 at 10.1 oz is almost twice the weight of the 350 at 5.47 oz.

Last edited by AndrewH; 01-17-2011 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Stupidity :)
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:27 PM   #10
Anthem
Fanatic
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (7th gen.), iPad Mini 2, Fire HDX 7"
I am cruelly and manifestly biased in favor of the charming PRS-350 through nothing more than the whimsy of chance ownership.

Having said that: the size and quality of the screen on the 350 make it both pleasurable and versatile. I do love 6 inch models but find myself gamboling (frequently!) with the 5 inch 350 while the 6 inch models must dream on.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:26 AM   #11
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I love the 350 because it's so easy to carry with me.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:22 AM   #12
sherbearjt08
Connoisseur

It seems most people think the 350 is more portable. I have a 300 right now.

Here is how they compare in size:

300: 6.25 x 4.25 x .4

350: 5.71 x 4.11 x .4

650: 6.61 x 4.68 x .38

Seems like the 300 is kind of right in the middle of the sizes and I know I love the size.

Has anyone else seen a big difference in the sizes that makes the 650 not an alternative?
Old 01-17-2011, 11:34 AM   #13
whitepaper
whitepaper began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
The only thing matters is if you want to read a4 size pdf. If no, 360 should be better for portable reading, if you want to read a4 pdf, 950 is best choice.
whitepaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:06 PM   #14
sherbearjt08
Connoisseur

650 size and audio

I did some drawing out of measurements and the 300 is right in the middle of the 350 and 650, and I don't see how the 650 is so cumbersome by its size. There is a huge difference in screen size though.

Does anyone use the audio function on the 650 when they are not reading?
Old 01-20-2011, 05:51 PM   #15
Ayrahvon
Ayrahvon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I went from a 600 to a 350. When I was first in the market, I disliked that the 300 did not have a touch-screen or dictionary, and now with the change to the 350 it has both. I will say, I did not realize at the time the 350 does not have the psp charger option and I miss that.

I have big hands and I actually prefer the smaller reader. It is so light and easy to hold in one hand and all the readers seem too small for me to comfortably hold with two, so I actually find it easier to go smaller and lighter.

I also take the 350 around with me more than I did the 600 because of how easy I can pocket it.

It really just comes down to preference, go to a shop and take a look at them.

My biggest gripe is the new stylus is not a nice as the old 600 one.
Ayrahvon is offline   Reply With Quote