Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-25-2007, 06:03 PM   #1
simmepimme
Junior Member
simmepimme is on a distinguished road
 
simmepimme's Avatar
 
Posts: 7
Karma: 67
Join Date: Dec 2006
pielrf GUI for Mac OSX

This is also mentioned in the actual pielrf thread, but since the mention is on page 4 and hence difficult to find for new readers, I thought a separate thread could be convenient.

PielrfGUI is an extremely simple GUI application wrapping the pielrf library; it's for users feeling uncomfortable with using the command line. Same version numbering as the pielrf library itself.

Please note that you have to install python version 2.5 or higher by yourself (simple instructions available inside application), and that I'm not the developer of the pielrf library; any praise should go to EatingPie, and any blame for things not working to me.
Attached Files
File Type: zip PielrfGUI_2.1.2.dmg.zip (376.5 KB, 683 views)
simmepimme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:41 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
JSWolf's Avatar
 
Posts: 35,953
Karma: 17041886
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts
Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmepimme View Post
This is also mentioned in the actual pielrf thread, but since the mention is on page 4 and hence difficult to find for new readers, I thought a separate thread could be convenient.

PielrfGUI is an extremely simple GUI application wrapping the pielrf library; it's for users feeling uncomfortable with using the command line. Same version numbering as the pielrf library itself.

Please note that you have to install python version 2.5 or higher by yourself (simple instructions available inside application), and that I'm not the developer of the pielrf library; any praise should go to EatingPie, and any blame for things not working to me.
Does this GUI run under Python or is it a stand alone application?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Enthusiast
Old 06-29-2007, 01:13 PM   #3
simmepimme
Junior Member
simmepimme is on a distinguished road
 
simmepimme's Avatar
 
Posts: 7
Karma: 67
Join Date: Dec 2006
Stand alone; python 2.5 or higher is necessary for pielrf, but the actual application is Cocoa & Objective-C all the way.
simmepimme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:09 AM   #4
MMascaro
Zealot
MMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheese
 
MMascaro's Avatar
 
Posts: 111
Karma: 1009
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Maryland USA
Device: HP mini 1035/Sony Reader/IPad
Simme

I downloaded the GUIPielrf and installed both PieLRF and Python 2.5.1 When I try to "Install Library PieLRF" I get the following error log

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "setup.py", line 82, in <module>
symlink(element_dir+"/elementtree", element_link)
OSError: [Errno 30] Read-only file system


??Help??

Mark
MMascaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:21 PM   #5
simmepimme
Junior Member
simmepimme is on a distinguished road
 
simmepimme's Avatar
 
Posts: 7
Karma: 67
Join Date: Dec 2006
I suspect it's because pielrf library needs to be installed where only users in the admin group have write access, and I haven't implemented the calls to show the user the normal "Input admin user and password" panel and use this for installing.
So you would need to either run as a user in admin group first time using PielrfGUI for installing pielrf library, or install pielrf without PielrfGUI application, or wait for me to implement the proper calls for enabling installation with the proper access rights.
simmepimme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:52 AM   #6
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.
 
EatingPie's Avatar
 
Posts: 887
Karma: 133343
Join Date: Mar 2007
Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMascaro View Post
Simme

I downloaded the GUIPielrf and installed both PieLRF and Python 2.5.1 When I try to "Install Library PieLRF" I get the following error log

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "setup.py", line 82, in <module>
symlink(element_dir+"/elementtree", element_link)
OSError: [Errno 30] Read-only file system


??Help??

Mark
simmepimme's explanation is the most likely. You don't have access rights to the python directory. This is quickly remedied by the following:
sudo python setup.py install
You will then type your password, and all should be well.

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:53 AM   #7
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.
 
EatingPie's Avatar
 
Posts: 887
Karma: 133343
Join Date: Mar 2007
Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Let me say a hearty THANKS! to simmepimme for creating this GUI!

I put a link to here from the Pielrf thread to make it easier to find.

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:43 AM   #8
MMascaro
Zealot
MMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheese
 
MMascaro's Avatar
 
Posts: 111
Karma: 1009
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Maryland USA
Device: HP mini 1035/Sony Reader/IPad
Here is what I got.

Last login: Tue Jul 3 05:29:48 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
pool-70-16-169-118:~ markmascaro$
pool-70-16-169-118:~ markmascaro$
pool-70-16-169-118:~ markmascaro$ sudo python setup.py install

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss
or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your
typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password:
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python: can't open file 'setup.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory
pool-70-16-169-118:~ markmascaro$

Just in case it worked I ran PieLRF, installed the Library and the error on trying to save the LRF file was...


env: python: No such file or directory


Note that Python 2.5.1 installed in Applications/MacPython 2.5/


I had forgotten the headaches of debugging. Its been years.

Mark

Last edited by MMascaro; 07-03-2007 at 09:47 AM.
MMascaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:33 PM   #9
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.
 
EatingPie's Avatar
 
Posts: 887
Karma: 133343
Join Date: Mar 2007
Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMascaro View Post
Here is what I got.

Last login: Tue Jul 3 05:29:48 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
pool-70-16-169-118:~ markmascaro$
pool-70-16-169-118:~ markmascaro$
pool-70-16-169-118:~ markmascaro$ sudo python setup.py install

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss
or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your
typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password:
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python: can't open file 'setup.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory
pool-70-16-169-118:~ markmascaro$

Just in case it worked I ran PieLRF, installed the Library and the error on trying to save the LRF file was...


env: python: No such file or directory


Note that Python 2.5.1 installed in Applications/MacPython 2.5/


I had forgotten the headaches of debugging. Its been years.

Mark
Looks like you just needed to go to the pielrf-2.1.2 directory (assuming that's your latest version). Sooooo....

cd <pielrf-2.1.2 directory>
sudo python setup.py install

That should do it.

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mac GUI problem Stingo Calibre 2 06-19-2010 08:43 PM
Mac OS X GUI issues on 6.12 slantybard Calibre 2 09-17-2009 11:45 PM
Wonky GUI display and Uninstall / Reinstall on OSX doodlydood Calibre 6 03-07-2009 03:04 AM
Pielrf - Text to LRF with Easy TOC, Headers, Curly-Quotes, etc. (Mac!) EatingPie LRF 104 01-12-2009 12:35 PM
Mac OSX vs Windows XP Alexander Turcic Lounge 5 06-05-2003 01:30 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:51 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.