Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-17-2011, 12:54 PM   #16
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by church mouse View Post
Hello Rizla, I had two Sonys before I bought my K3 and my opinion is that organising was easier using Calibre/tags/Sony than it is to create collections on my K3.

Though I liked my Sonys and felt like a traitor when I bought a K3, I have not regretted the purchase for an instance.
I agree with both points. Although Calibre/tags is easier with the Sony, the Kindle collections is not difficult at all.
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:14 AM   #17
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Further to your question about collections...

I've uploaded dozens of personal documents and free (public-domain) ebooks, and have organised them all into collections via the Kindle user interface. Yes, it's a little time-consuming, but not ridiculously so. I found that if I made skilful use of the "Showing All xxx Items By..." sorting option, it made adding items to collections very easy. For example, if you create collections at the beginning and add new items as you go, the simplest thing is to (momentarily) sort all items By Collections. The not-yet-in-a-collection (new) items appear at the end of the list, after the (usually fairly short) list of collections. This makes it easy to pick them out and add them to collections without having to wade through dozens of previously "collection-ed" ebooks. You can also select a collection, click on "Add/Remove Items", navigate to the newly added books, and add multiple items to that one collection.

People often think of collections as being folders, and that's how they "look" in the Kindle UI, but really "collections" are more like top-level tags. Hence, a single item can be added to multiple collections. If your ebook fits under Fantasy and Novel and who knows what else, you can easily add it to all of these so that it's not excluded from any of the categories you like to use.

I also recommend that you read the article Organising stuff on your Kindle, since it suggests a handy way around the dilemma of how to display your collections neatly and in alphabetical order on your main page. The system described by the OP is fairly elaborate, but I pretty much just use an underscore (_) at the beginning of each collection name, and it works beautifully.
chamekke is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast