Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-20-2011, 07:54 AM   #31
bthrowsnaill
Dreamer
bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I've been more hesitant to read within my favorite genre (fantasy) lately, since I'm concerned that it might have an unintended effect on my brainstorming for my next fantasy book.
bthrowsnaill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:56 AM   #32
jumpingjack42
DiSpLaCeD
jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle 2
I've tried writing in a lot of genres; scifi, humour, historic fiction. I ended up happiest in the genre (horror/dark fantasy) that I read most of the time.
jumpingjack42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2011, 08:46 AM   #33
TheHothive
TheHothive began at the beginning.

Device: None
I think you have to be familiar with the genre you write in so that you can freely your ideas. Sometimes not being knowledgeable about a certain genre you are writing hinders you to write effectively.
TheHothive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:28 AM   #34
ASparrow
Addict
ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX
I don't like the whole idea of being confined to a genre. I like good stories. It does not matter to me if they fail to confine themselves to genre. I welcome border crossings.

Of course that means I'll forever be without a niche, but at least I'll be entertained in ways that genre books just can't do for me.
ASparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:31 PM   #35
RVS78
Letter Puncher
RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablets
Ditto what ASparrow said.

I tend to write the types of stories I like to read but it's not a conscious decision. It's not like I write a couple of paragraphs and say "hey, this is starting to feel too scifi-ish, need to switch gears."

My influences are too varied to pick and choose. It's why I say I'm a cross-genre writer with a penchant for transgressive fiction. =) That about wraps it up with a pretty little bow on top and still allows me wiggle room.
RVS78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2011, 01:15 PM   #36
sportourer1
Writer
sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I do but I like to push the boundaries that frustrate me when I read. So just to stir the mix in the sci-fi geopolitical thriller I am working on the heroine is a bisexual self-destructive coke fiend rather than a latern jawed ex CIA agent
sportourer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:07 AM   #37
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
I've had shorts indie "published" twice, once in the best of Friday Flash Fiction (or some combination of those words. Damn. I'm going to have to look aren't I? Ah. here: http://madutopia.com/blog/fridayflas...sh-volume-one/ Friday Flash Fiction are a different bunch http://fridayflashfiction.blogspot.com/ nice guys! ) and once here http://www.amazon.com/Stupefying-Sto...dp/0982897405/

The first was slightly surreal humour, the second was SF low comedy. I barely read humour because I just don't find it funny. Even Pratchett I read for the story and the ideas but he doesn't come close to making me laugh.

Most of my writing urges (all resisted) are horror these days. I haven't read horror regularly for about twenty years. The last horror story I read was Let The Right One In and after that (which was excellent) I'm good for another twenty years.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:15 PM   #38
Dean M. Cole
SECTOR 64: Coup de Main
Dean M. Cole knows what's going on.Dean M. Cole knows what's going on.Dean M. Cole knows what's going on.Dean M. Cole knows what's going on.Dean M. Cole knows what's going on.Dean M. Cole knows what's going on.Dean M. Cole knows what's going on.Dean M. Cole knows what's going on.Dean M. Cole knows what's going on.Dean M. Cole knows what's going on.Dean M. Cole knows what's going on.

Device: iPhone
I love and write in the MilSF Genre. However, I'm toying with the idea of writing something in the horror or supernatural genres along the lines of Stephen King or Dean Koontz (that guy has a great first name, lol).

My wife is pushing me to write a steampunk romance ... I'm not too sure about that one, but you never know.
Dean M. Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:31 PM   #39
Greenkeeper
Connoisseur
Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I write fantasy because that's what I read as a kid and that's what tends to work best for me, but when it comes to reading I've generally moved on to other genres except for the occasional Brandon Sanderson novel. Lately I mainly read non-fiction, some Lovecraft, maybe the odd western or sci-fi. I've also made my first foray into Steampunk. I'm currently into Orson Scott Card's Alvin Maker series, which is technically fantasy but without the usual medieval bent to it.

I like to consider reading non-fantasy to be the best way to do research for my fantasy novels. Historical fiction and non-fiction especially are a great place to get setting ideas that don't read like a Dungeons and Dragons campaign.

Last edited by Greenkeeper; 04-13-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Greenkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:33 PM   #40
Qbert
Enthusiast
Qbert began at the beginning.

Device: none
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean M. Cole View Post
I love and write in the MilSF Genre. However, I'm toying with the idea of writing something in the horror or supernatural genres along the lines of Stephen King or Dean Koontz (that guy has a great first name, lol).

My wife is pushing me to write a steampunk romance ... I'm not too sure about that one, but you never know.
I've tried to immerse myself of late in chick lit, with a view to mass commercial acceptance and wealth. We all have to dream, lol.
Qbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:55 PM   #41
C. R. Hindmarsh
Wordslinger
C. R. Hindmarsh can self-interpret dreams as they happen.C. R. Hindmarsh can self-interpret dreams as they happen.C. R. Hindmarsh can self-interpret dreams as they happen.C. R. Hindmarsh can self-interpret dreams as they happen.C. R. Hindmarsh can self-interpret dreams as they happen.C. R. Hindmarsh can self-interpret dreams as they happen.C. R. Hindmarsh can self-interpret dreams as they happen.C. R. Hindmarsh can self-interpret dreams as they happen.C. R. Hindmarsh can self-interpret dreams as they happen.C. R. Hindmarsh can self-interpret dreams as they happen.C. R. Hindmarsh can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: iPod
I tend to read pretty widely, but most of my writing is fantasy or SF. There's just something about writing in a new world that really appeals to me.

That and its so much more satisfying to write all these lies about places that don't even exist ;D
C. R. Hindmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:57 AM   #42
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
I think you have to read the genre you write in. It would be difficult if not impossible to write, say, a mystery, without reading mysteries and understanding how they're written. You really have to internalize the genre. Fill in any genre you want there; what it comes down to is that you really need to read the books that your target market reads.
This. But not read everything. Read the BEST and learn from it.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote