Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals, Freebies, and Resources (No Self-Promotion)

Notices

Old 01-14-2011, 02:48 AM   #1
notyou
Connoisseur
notyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle / Palm Pre / iPhone
Kobo Wireless for $99.99 (4 days only)

From the latest Border Rewards e-mail:

http://www.bordersmedia.com/coup/20110114kobo.html

Just $99.99. Limit 5. While supplies last.

Quote:
Valid with Borders Rewards membership only. While supplies last. No rain checks, special orders, or reservations. Offer cannot be combined with any other offer, promotion, sale pricing, coupon, or discount, including group discounts, except Borders Bucks, Borders Rewards Plus 10% off purchase-price and Personal Shopping Day 10% off purchase-price discounts (10% off purchase-price discounts are taken after all other discounts are applied, including this offer and Borders Bucks, if any; Personal Shopping Day discount is valid in-store only). Offer Excludes: Borders Rewards Plus memberships, previous purchases, and shipping. Single-use only: One coupon or promo code per customer during the valid period. Original coupon must be relinquished at time of purchase. Void if copied, transferred, and where prohibited by law. Any other use constitutes fraud. Cash value .01¢. Not redeemable for cash. Valid 1/14/11–1/17/11 at U.S. Borders, Borders Express, and Waldenbooks stores and at Borders.com until 11:59 PM PT on the last day of the valid period only.
notyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:03 AM   #2
AdamV
*Censored*
AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (brown), Asus DR 900
since it was $119.99 last month, i say let's wait another month - it should come down to $79.99
AdamV is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 01-14-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(1/2/3/dx), nook, nookcolr, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
You can apparently sync them with the software from Kobo, rather than from Borders, and switch which store's database is on the device (according to the Kobo website, since they accidentally sent a bunch of Borders models to the Chapters stores in CA).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Arc, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Here's the link on how to switch the store:
http://kobo.zendesk.com/entries/3684...rders-us-store

Here is the text from that site:

The issue:

A shipment of US Kobos have been mistakenly sent to several Chapters and Indigo stores and a number of them have been sold.

These Kobos can't access the Canadian Kobo site, only the Borders US site.

Solution:

1. Download and install the Kobo desktop application from kobobooks.com/desktop
2. Synchronize your eReader with the desktop application

This will fix the issue.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:00 PM   #5
blackcats
blackcats began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kobo(wifi)
I have a Kindle 2 which I LOVE, but can't take out library books on it. I just purchased the Kobo Wireless (in lavender) for $100 today. I have to say it's a great complement to the K2. In fact, I like how much lighter it is. The contrast is pretty good, too. I also bought one for my father in law for his birthday (no, not in lavender, in black!). Since there is no ereader that can support all formats, it's the next best thing...(unless I missed something!) I thinks it's a deal, at this time. No harm in having too many toys....
blackcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #6
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcats View Post
Since there is no ereader that can support all formats, it's the next best thing...(unless I missed something!)
The Jetbook supports TXT, PDF, FB2, ePub, ePub DRM, B&N ePub, Mobi, eReader (PDB) DRM, PRC and RTF formats, pictures in JPEG, GIF, PNG, and BMP. While you are right in that only the Kindle supports their own format, and BBeB seems to be only Sony, the Jetbook support is pretty wide.

Last edited by chas0039; 01-16-2011 at 10:15 AM.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:09 PM   #7
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Went to look at them, but couldn't make myself buy one (the black is nice, but the other two colors are back colors only, although at least the button is silver, instead of blue). The store REALLY pushes the $50 2-year replacement plan (although they say they will do an in-store exchange for the first year and a no-questions asked, no restocking fee refund for 30 days) that comes with some free coffee coupons, disposable wipes for the screen and a cover (likely vinyl outside, has nice pockets inside, but apparently uses two-sided tape to stick to the back of the reader).

As I understand it, the wireless is useless other than accessing their store (although you can reflash it to use the Kobo store instead of Borders or even replace the boot system, if desired, as well as easily backup before you start, by removing the internal micro-SD card). But, you are stuck with the fragile db to hold books, which seems to crash fairly often (I know my original Kobo did, until I wiped it and ended up with no "free" books and used only Calibre to manage it), although most people apparently just put books on SD cards, instead.

The question is, is it much better than the original Kobo? Or is there a market for original Kobo units? Other than adding library books via ADE (which apparently can't be done wirelessly and you can't access calibre's web server or drop-box, either), is there a big draw for these? Although, at least the last time I tried ADE with my orig Kobo, at least it didn't try to crash ADE and end up wiping the unit of any other books (like the Sony did).
Old 01-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #8
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3
Squaretrade is a much better source for an extended warranty. I got a three year postage paid, replace or money back, for my Nook for $14.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:19 PM   #9
koland
Grand Sorcerer

I would not get the warranty, but the case is nice (but probably cheaper without the add-on of free money for Borders) and it does have a coffee drink (so, take off $3 or so).

Any other opinions on the wifi vs original or using it for much other than library books? I know I managed to get the bluetooth on the old one to talk to my PC for almost a minute, but it was really a pretty useless feature, it turned out. So far, it looks like the wifi is, as well.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:15 AM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The main purpose for the wireless is to be able to buy books from kobo or its partners without a computer and to sync the reader with other mobile devices you might use to read without having to access the desktop application. Updates to the firmware can be pushed via the WiFi, and seem to be less problematic than the desktop mediated updates. If you subscribe to magazines or newspapers through Kobo, they will be pushed to the WiFi version automatically. Folks with Kobo--1 have to use sync with the desktop application to get them.

It is not a tablet computer in disguise. The WiFi version is faster, has 16 shade grayscale (though not Pearl), and has additional capacity that will allow for future updates that cannot be put on the Kobo-1.

Last edited by taming; 01-17-2011 at 01:17 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:27 AM   #11
inertia
inertia began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
The $50.00 protection plan is optional - it is a good deal, as it protects against cracked screens, 2 yrs. They don't make commission on it, and you have 30 days from purchase to decide whether to buy it.

The WIFI is good because after your initial credit card profile is saved, you can have almost 1 click ordering for ebooks from the Kobo unit.

Your books stay with you on the Borders app/library - those you buy from Borders, of course. You sign into another computer and want to download your books onto your device, you can.
inertia is offline   Reply With Quote