Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-03-2011, 04:09 AM   #1
candyfloss
candyfloss began at the beginning.

Device: none
Problems with clicking in Sigil?

I'm not sure if this is a problem with my computer or mouse--my mouse is relatively new (just a year or two old and it's never had issues) and I've restarted my computer a few times since installing Sigil and having the problem occur each time... anyways, the problem is that occasionally when I have Sigil open and I try to click on the toolbar, or anything for that matter, the cursor seems "stuck" in the text box editor. As in, when I click to the right of the little blinking line it skips a space over to the right, and vice versa when I click to the left of it. When I right click anywhere it shows up with "cut/copy/paste/etc", even when I'm clicking outside of the text box. When I move my mouse over the toolbars themselves they highlight, but I get no reaction when I click on a button.

Occasionally it'll work for a while and I can import a file, but after a while it'll get stuck again. It happens with varying frequency too; sometimes I can get through a few edits and other times I have to restart Sigil without having done anything since it won't respond. I resorted to using keyboard shortcuts but you can only get so far with them

Any help would be appreciated... this also happens in Calibre (part of the reason why I tried Sigil) but not in other programs, like MS Word. Thanks!
candyfloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:24 AM   #2
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS 505
If it's happening in Calibre too, then it's a problem with your computer.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 01-03-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyfloss View Post
I'm not sure if this is a problem with my computer or mouse--my mouse is relatively new (just a year or two old and it's never had issues) and I've restarted my computer a few times since installing Sigil and having the problem occur each time... anyways, the problem is that occasionally when I have Sigil open and I try to click on the toolbar, or anything for that matter, the cursor seems "stuck" in the text box editor. As in, when I click to the right of the little blinking line it skips a space over to the right, and vice versa when I click to the left of it. When I right click anywhere it shows up with "cut/copy/paste/etc", even when I'm clicking outside of the text box. When I move my mouse over the toolbars themselves they highlight, but I get no reaction when I click on a button.

Occasionally it'll work for a while and I can import a file, but after a while it'll get stuck again. It happens with varying frequency too; sometimes I can get through a few edits and other times I have to restart Sigil without having done anything since it won't respond. I resorted to using keyboard shortcuts but you can only get so far with them

Any help would be appreciated... this also happens in Calibre (part of the reason why I tried Sigil) but not in other programs, like MS Word. Thanks!
2 programs or more with the same problem almost always (Almost, because the 2 you mentioned use some of the same building blocks. ) something wrong at your computer/mouse.

You did NOT mention stuff about your OS or hardware, like: run XP pro SP3 on a P4 w/1.5G RAM

By any chance, are you running XP AND have Calibre 7.36 or 7.37?
Reason I ask, is I recently had an odd display/keyboard interaction appear after weeks of no problem. This may (slight chance. Timing is right) be caused by a recent upgrade in one of the building blocks Calibre uses.

Ctrl+1,2 or 4 should 'throw' the current window to the numbered display screen (3 headed rig ). Very recently, other keystrokes after a mouse click, send the window to another (?) screen.

Unfortunately, 3 different updates have happened recently: MS Update, my A/V and Calibre.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
candyfloss

Thanks for both of your replies, Valloric and theducks! I really hope it's not something with either my computer or mouse otherwise then I really don't know what to do x_______x

theducks, unfortunately I'm not well versed in tech-y speak (for lack of a better term ) so I don't think I can answer all that, but I'm on Vista Home Basic with Intel Celeron D 356 and a 1gb RAM.

I'm actually behind; I have 7.34 :P I downloaded shortly after Christmas and haven't gotten around to updating since the button-clicking issue keeps me from doing so no matter how many times I click or hit enter. Should I try to update it by reinstalling Calibre?
Old 01-03-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD
Do you use a wacom tablet, IIRC calibre had probs with that. If you do, do a search on calibre forum for possible solutions.
Perkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:41 PM   #6
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyfloss View Post
Thanks for both of your replies, Valloric and theducks! I really hope it's not something with either my computer or mouse otherwise then I really don't know what to do x_______x

theducks, unfortunately I'm not well versed in tech-y speak (for lack of a better term ) so I don't think I can answer all that, but I'm on Vista Home Basic with Intel Celeron D 356 and a 1gb RAM.

I'm actually behind; I have 7.34 :P I downloaded shortly after Christmas and haven't gotten around to updating since the button-clicking issue keeps me from doing so no matter how many times I click or hit enter. Should I try to update it by reinstalling Calibre?
Windows. Just newer than me
I don't believe the change I was thinking of, happened for versions before 34

Calibre is at 7.37
36 had windows issues that were fixed
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:11 AM   #7
candyfloss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkin View Post
Do you use a wacom tablet, IIRC calibre had probs with that. If you do, do a search on calibre forum for possible solutions.
Yes I am! That turned out to be the problem; I switched to stylus and everything's working now I would have never thought that it was the tablet, since it's never been incompatible with any other programs. Although I think I'm just going to switch to a regular mouse now, haven't used the tablet for drawing/inking in a while... thanks all of you for your help
Old 01-04-2011, 07:24 AM   #8
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD
Glad to help.
Perkin is online now   Reply With Quote