Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-25-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 doesn't litterjessie102 doesn't litter

Device: SONY PRS505
Wi-Fi log in browser

Some public wi-fi hotspots at popular places like Starbucks require log-in thru browser before access is permitted.

The Sony PRS 950 can't seem to log on to these Wi-Fi hotspots.

The result when the browser launches is "The page cannot be displayed"

Is anyone else having this problem?

Last edited by jessie102; 12-25-2010 at 01:43 PM.
jessie102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:01 PM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, T2; KPW2; iPad Mini Retina; Nooks
Hi, jessie102. Here are some of my experiences. I have been able to connect at all of the hotspots that I have used, although sometimes the messages have been confusing. In general, first you need to connect to the Wi-fi hotspot. Sometimes it will auto-launch the browser after a connection is established, and sometimes you need to manually open the browser window. If you get an error like the page cannot be displayed, then try a URL like google from the 950 Home page and see if it redirects to the site terms.

I haven't tried Starbucks yet, but McDonalds worked fine. I can't remember if I had to agree to any user terms.

I was able to connect very easily at an airport. I connected to their Wi-fi, and then the 950 launched the web browser straight to the T&C page. All connections should be this smooth! Unfortunately they aren't...

At one hotel it connected to the Wi-fi fine. Then I had to open the web browser manually to get to the hotel T&C page.

At another hotel it appeared not to connect. I got an error message that said "Cannot confirm connection to either the internet or Reader Store. Please check the following: 1) The connection settings between the device and the wireless router. 2) The wireless network is running properly". Then it said "Invalid Configuration" under the wireless ID in the network list. I thought that meant this hotel just wasn't going to work. But, I decided to manually launch the browser anyway. I was surprised to find that it redirected to the hotel T&C site. I checked the agreement box, and it connected fine. Then I went back to the wireless settings page, and "Invalid Configuration" had changed to "Connected". Weird!

I have never had any issues with my home network (WPA2). I was able to successfully connect to a friend's home network which has a Verizon router (WEP).

In summary, I have been able to connect 100% of the time, but the process has been varied and certainly not flawless.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote