Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-29-2010, 07:02 PM   #1
Bro Pete
Connoisseur
Bro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Sony PRS 650
Jefferson Bass and the Body Farm

I've just read my first Jefferson Bass novel and I am hooked. I have plans to read the others soon but I was wondering if there other forensic mystery writers like this one?
Bro Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:51 AM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International & Sony PRS-T1 & BlackBerry PlayBook
Sharyn McCrumb also writes a series about a forensic anthropologist, Elizabeth MacPherson.

Don't know how it would compare to Jefferson Bass, though, since I haven't read him yet. But they're more on the sleuthing than thriller side, if that helps any.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 12-30-2010, 08:43 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7
Kathy Reichs writes the Temperance Brennan series. The TV show Bones is based off of this series, sort of a TV prequel to the books. Temperance is about 10 years younger on the TV show.
DoctorOhh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
Bro Pete
Connoisseur
Bro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfolded

Thank you both. I should have said I was looking more for the sleuthing type rather than thriller or romance. I can't say that I've ever watched a Bones episode.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:50 AM   #5
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
The Temperance Brennan novels are definitely not romance. They are less "quirky" than the TV series - not that that will mean anything to you if you haven't watched the show
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:11 AM   #6
drdann
Connoisseur
drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350
I can second for the Kathy Reichs books. Of course, the older Patricia Cornwall Kay Scarpetta were good forensic stories, even if not from an anthropological point of view (her later, post-marriage and non-medicated, stories are not nearly the same quality, IMHO).
drdann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:52 AM   #7
Bro Pete
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdann View Post
Her later, post-marriage and non-medicated, stories are not nearly the same quality.
Is it ever?
Old 01-09-2011, 01:59 AM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Thanks so much for the Jefferson Bass pointer. I just finished reading the first book in the series and I am going to get the others!
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:54 AM   #9
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
+1 for Kathy Reichs' Temperance Brennan series.
+1 for Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta series.

IMHO, Patricia Cornwell's writing took a dive in Blow Fly (book 13 of the Scarpetta series) when she switched from first person perspective to third person. The hopeful news is that she's recently gone back to first person (in Port Mortuary, book 19). I say "hopeful news" because i haven't yet read the book to discover if she has got back to her best.
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:48 PM   #10
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The Kathy Reichs books have nothing to do with the Bones TV series, except the name "Temperance Brennan", and forensic anthropology. The characters, tone, and settings are all wildly different. Very good books, though.

I also love the Body Farm books; only recently discovered them. I also like the Beverly Connor "Diane Fallon" series, starting with "One Grave Too Many". A bit lighter in tone, but interesting. The protagonist (Diane Fallon) is a forensic anthropologist, and runs a museum and crime lab on the side.

I used to love the Kay Scarpetta books, but they got too depressing for me (everyone she loved was killed horribly, etc.).
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:43 PM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
The Kathy Reichs books have nothing to do with the Bones TV series, except the name "Temperance Brennan", and forensic anthropology. The characters, tone, and settings are all wildly different. Very good books, though.
You are absolutely correct. The TV show and the books are at very different points Temperance's growth and life.
DoctorOhh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:23 AM   #12
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The Kathy Reichs books are very different from the TV show - but both are a favorite in our household.

Have you read the Sherlock Holmes stories or the tribute stories others have wrote?

You might enjoy the Agent Pendergast stories. Start with "Relic" by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote