Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-31-2010, 02:15 AM   #1
madzippy
madzippy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Thinking of picking Nook over Kindle, but

As mentioned in another post, I got a e Ink Nook and a Kindle over Christmas and have been agonizing over which to keep and which to return. (This, of course, coming after days of deciding which to buy...) So, after playing with each and looking at the pros and cons, I am leaning toward the Nook. I think the Kindle has a lot of things going for it on paper, i.e., battery life, weights, apps, selection of books, but for the life of me, I just can't get used to the screen. The gray background is too distracting, and for me, the whiter background in the Nook is more "paper" like.

Found out the closest BN is a Bookstar, so no freebies . But what has me concerned are the rants about BN, ranging from their poor customer service to the stability of the company and support for the Nook. Seems like NC is getting all the attention. Is anyone concerned about the BN's continued support for the e Ink Nook?
madzippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:27 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 and Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by madzippy View Post
But what has me concerned are the rants about BN, ranging from their poor customer service to the stability of the company and support for the Nook. Seems like NC is getting all the attention. Is anyone concerned about the BN's continued support for the e Ink Nook?
With any ebook device, it is always best to evaluate its capabilities right now. If it meets your needs, then go with it, but don't rely on firmware upgrades coming later.

B&N seem likely to survive in the short term. Even if they did not, you can buy ebooks with Adobe DRM. Customer service is a concern, but with any luck you won't need it. Most devices should run for years with no hardware issues.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:42 AM   #3
Dawdler
Enthusiast
Dawdler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dawdler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dawdler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dawdler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Color, Kindle 3
its all about what you're comfortable with, if the Nook fits your reading and sight style go with that and I doubt that B&N will go out of business but if they ever do you have the comfort of knowing that the format will be supported for a long time and as for customer service I take it with a grain of salt, there is so much that is involved a CS rep having a bad day or vice a versa. The one thing I've noticed about the Nook that it has great support from the fans that may be even better then the official support.

Good luck on whatever you may choose and Happy Reading
Dawdler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:49 AM   #4
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505, VS gTablet, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
With any ebook device, it is always best to evaluate its capabilities right now. If it meets your needs, then go with it, but don't rely on firmware upgrades coming later.

B&N seem likely to survive in the short term. Even if they did not, you can buy ebooks with Adobe DRM. Customer service is a concern, but with any luck you won't need it. Most devices should run for years with no hardware issues.
Library books too. Kindle doesn't do Adobe DRM and every library uses Adobe DRM for their ebooks...
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote