Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-18-2011, 01:21 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
the case of the disappearing TOC

I have some books which contain a hard coded content / toc page i.e. it can be seem as an xhtml page in epub, e.g.
Code:
<body class="calibre">
  <p class="calibre9"><span class="calibre5 bold">Contents</span></p>

<p><a class="calibre10"></a><a class="calibre10" id="filepos916"></a></p>

<p class="calibre11"><a class="calibre12" href="../Text/Stories_All-New_Tales_split_003.html#filepos5958"><span class="calibre13 calibre14 sgc-1">Introduction:</span></a> Just Four Words Neil Gaiman</p>

<p><a class="calibre10"></a><a class="calibre10" id="filepos1070"></a></p>

<p class="calibre15"><a class="calibre12" href="../Text/Stories_All-New_Tales_split_004.html#filepos13963"><span class="calibre13 calibre14 sgc-1">Blood:</span></a> Roddy Doyle</p>
this type of "toc" appears well behaved i.e. calibre viewer detects it, calibre preserves it in format conversions... but those "toc" entries do not have header tags in the story files, and thus navigation with kindle buttons is impaired.
the "toc" is also referencing explicit locations in explicit split files, and the number of split files is not always the same as the number of toc entries. ( in this example they match but I have other books where many toc entry points are squeezed into a few xhtml splits, referenced by filepos code e.g.
Code:
<navPoint class="chapter" id="c07b675a-c357-498a-a48c-cdc24750b605" playOrder="4">
      <navLabel>
        <text>THE PUNISHED</text>
      </navLabel>
      <content src="Beauty_s_Punishment_split_001.html#filepos2996"/>
chapter 4 in file 1

ANYWAY if these epubs iare opened & saved with sigil, then suddenly there is no toc in calibre viewer - all you get is a one line "start" entry.

some before and after viewing of exploded epub shows that sigil is rewriting the toc.ncx file, thus this
Code:
<docTitle>
    <text>Stories: All-New Tales</text>
  </docTitle>
  <navMap>
    <navPoint class="chapter" id="33c52f2d-e3f0-4394-94fe-2081b1133809" playOrder="1">
      <navLabel>
        <text>Introduction:</text>
      </navLabel>
      <content src="Stories_All-New_Tales_split_003.html"/>
    </navPoint>
    <navPoint class="chapter" id="081f987c-44c5-4cd5-af9c-fb1cca814843" playOrder="2">
      <navLabel>
        <text>Blood:</text>
      </navLabel>
      <content src="Stories_All-New_Tales_split_004.html"/>
    </navPoint>
    <navPoint class="chapter" id="26096607-bf5a-49f9-a5a6-a40be7ef6b85" playOrder="3">
      <navLabel>
        <text>Fossil-Figures:</text>
becomes this after a sigil save
Code:
<docTitle>
        <text>Stories: All-New Tales</text>
    </docTitle>
    <navMap>
        <navPoint id="navPoint-1" playOrder="1">
            <navLabel>
                <text>Start</text>
            </navLabel>
            <content src="Text/titlepage.xhtml"/>
        </navPoint>
    </navMap>
</ncx>
so - issues
1. I cannot edit books with this type of hard coded toc e.g. to fix typos without losing the toc navigation in viewers.
2. I see no foolproof way of directly converting this type of toc to one that will survive editing - best I have for now is the roundabout epub - zip - convert with structure detect & hope that builds a "proper" toc.

what is annoying is that the "table of contents" text, layout ,links etc still exist in the xhtml - they are just no longer considered to be "toc"

Last edited by cybmole; 01-18-2011 at 01:27 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:30 AM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
This is a long-standing bug/feature request in Sigil - it deletes the existing TOC and builds it's own based on heading tags. This is by design, but it's on the roadmap to fix it.

There are a variety of workarounds discussed in the Sigil forums.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 01:37 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
This is a long-standing bug/feature request in Sigil - it deletes the existing TOC and builds it's own based on heading tags. This is by design, but it's on the roadmap to fix it.

There are a variety of workarounds discussed in the Sigil forums.
thanks for super quick response - I will search sigil forums, unless you have a handy quick link.

I guess that I could eplode epub , back up toc.ncx, edit in sigil, save, re-explode, replace toc, but I'd also have to also remember not to change the file split structure.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:40 AM   #4
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
thanks for super quick response - I will search sigil forums, unless you have a handy quick link.

I guess that I could eplode epub , back up toc.ncx, edit in sigil, save, re-explode, replace toc, but I'd also have to also remember not to change the file split structure.
That's the main workaround - there are variations on it and discussion in the Sigil forums. Don't have a link though, the search tool is your friend
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:29 AM   #5
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
have you tried this new app that just got released in epub forum

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=117809

It allows you to edit your TOC from inside sigil or you can just open it seperately.
Its great for setting and editing TOC
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert