Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-31-2010, 08:13 PM   #1
thorn
Connoisseur
thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.

Device: currently: ipod touch
Idea for an app.

An app to enable texting to someone's phone via Kindle.

I have TextPlus on my iPod touch, which works pretty well from a wifi hotspot.

The idea of texting from my Kindle occurred to me as I rode my bus through a snowstorm totally unable to communicate with my husband about my arrival time. My phone was dead as a doornail, there's no wifi on the bus, and there's no way my husband would have remembered that I could e-mail him from my Kindle. (I did try. He did not check.)

It's not something I'd do often, but it would be handy for the occasional moment of urgency.

Just putting it out there.
thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, KTSO, KFHD7, KPW1
Maybe this blog post will help. It was for Kindle 1 but I'm sure the same applies for all Kindles.

http://blogkindle.com/2008/05/yahoo-...ble-on-kindle/
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
You can just go to a web site texting service like google voice or gmail, and use that.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:10 AM   #4
thorn
Connoisseur
thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.

Device: currently: ipod touch
i know. i could do that on my ipod touch, too. except 1. textplus doesn't require a login. just like my phone. and 2. a developer who developed an analogous app for the kindle could make a few bucks on each download. hm. income.

it was just a thought. if you don't want to build it, maybe someone else will. i do as little with the web as possible on my kindle 2, because it's slow and the UI doesn't reliably assign focus where one would like it to. a kindle-specific app would be more reliable and less frictiony to use, if decently designed.
thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:42 AM   #5
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
i know. i could do that on my ipod touch, too. except 1. textplus doesn't require a login. just like my phone. and 2. a developer who developed an analogous app for the kindle could make a few bucks on each download. hm. income.

it was just a thought. if you don't want to build it, maybe someone else will. i do as little with the web as possible on my kindle 2, because it's slow and the UI doesn't reliably assign focus where one would like it to. a kindle-specific app would be more reliable and less frictiony to use, if decently designed.
What makes you so sure the developer will make money? It costs money to send text messages.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:25 PM   #6
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
A developer on the Kindle store is only allowed 100KB of data a MONTH.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote